Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sudarshan
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. SudarshanYour feedback matters!
My mother is54 year old she is suffering from knee pain and some time she is complaint her hand is no sensation about external stimuli both condition accure from last few year please suggest me MRI and CT Scan also perform but no satisfactory or problem still.
My husband has a slip disc problem and has acute pain. Doctor has advised him to go in for spine fixation which includes removal of the discs and replacing it with titanium ones. I want to know after the surgery will he be able to join back his job. He is a marine engineer working in cargo ships. There is lot of lifting and very hard work. Please let me also know if there is some alternate treatment for this as I am nervous about it. Please reply soon.
Are there any long-term effects associated with taking ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) medications? If so, what are they and what medications are implicated? What exactly is a spine block injection? Will it work long-term for low back pain due to disc problems? What causes Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and what is the best method of treatment? Can iodine help this condition?
I am suffering with heavy shoulder. Pain from past two days I have used different pain reliefs but no use what are. Remedy.
I am feeling back pain and joint Bones make sound when I stretch or do exercises. I don't it much in day time when I go for sleep its painful. I am also feeling pain in neck. When I bow it down for reading and other work for more than 2.3 min.
The entire humanity is now used to a fast paced, stressful life without time to think about their physical and mental health. Your body can adapt to this kind of lifestyle for a while. After which, one fine day, it might breakdown, with or without warning. Emotional stability is lost, and physical trauma is felt, and everyday activities may seem to be scary. Yoga comes to the rescue for all your problems. Be they physical or mental.
The real essence of Yoga lies around improving the life force at the base of the backbone. It attempts to achieve holistic goodness through various physical and mental workouts. Coming to the physical level, the procedures comprise of several postures or yogic asanas which can keep the body healthy, while on the mental level, there are some breathing techniques which helps in disciplining the mind. The benefits of Yoga are almost endless, and this is the reason why it has received international acclamation even when it had originated in India centuries ago.
How can Yoga aid you to live a better life?
No matter whether you are from the West or East, regular practice of Yoga can will offer tons of benefits which include:
- Improvement of flexibility: This is the most significant benefit of Yoga where you can improve your posture with each practice sessions. Inflexibility can bring about a lot of movement issues; tight hamstrings can flatten the lumbar spine while tight hips can cause strain to the knee. Daily Yoga can relieve the connective tissues while improving posture.
- Builds muscle strength: Strong muscles are not just meant for making you look good; it can protect you from conditions such as back pain, arthritis and falls among aged people. With regular practice of Yoga, you can see your muscles becoming stronger and flexible within a short span.
- Prevention of joint and cartilage breakdown: While practicing Yoga, all the major joints of the body runs through a roller coaster of motion. This can prevent degenerative arthritis and squeeze the parts of the cartilage which are not usually used.
- Improve the health of the bone: Several postures of Yoga demand you to bear your own weight such as the downward and the upward facing dog which also helps in making the bones in the arms stronger. Plus, Yoga is known to lower the cortisol levels which can boost the level of calcium in the bones.
- Protection of the spine: The spinal disks which help in absorbing shock crave for movement through which they get the nutrition. Yoga can get you optimum backbends, twists and forward bends to keep the disks in a supple condition.
How has Yoga helped in improving health condition?
Timothy McCall, MD, wanted to come to India to research and investigate on the benefits of Yoga in 2002. Weeks before that he developed tingling sensation along with numbness in his right hand. He was scared and thought that it was something serious like multiple sclerosis or a brain disease but found that he had a nerve blockage in the neck and chest.
Even though it was incapacitating to some extent, this ailment was a blessing in disguise as he could allow Yoga experts to evaluate the cause of the problem and treat it and his experiment reaped benefits. He practiced Pranayama which is a breathing exercise, different moves and chanting to restore vital energy to the affected parts. This had not only helped him to get rid of these problems but also made his body even more flexible, improved his postures and relieved him of various symptoms.
Basic Yoga asanas that can help maintain health
- Eka Pada Rajakapotasana
More real life examples can be cited where people suffering from chronic illness have gotten a complete relief by practicing Yoga. Across the world, this ancient Indian therapy has been acknowledged as an effective alternative therapy. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor.
Permanent solution for spondylitis. Already my mom is using few medicines for the same. Srator 20 mg.
Rheumatoid arthritis is an auto-immune chronic disorder that might cause abnormal swelling in the joints when the joint tissues are attacked by the human immune system. The more frequently used body joints, such as the knees, fingers, shoulders, wrists, elbows and hips commonly get affected by the disease. Rheumatoid arthritis can also occur in the ligaments or tendons and might affect areas such as the kidney, bone marrow, eyes, lungs, and heart.
If rheumatoid arthritis is not diagnosed on time, it might lead to future complications, such as blood cancer in the lymph regions, osteoporosis (a medical condition resulting in the weakness of the bones), infections, stiffening of the arteries and dry mouth.
What exactly causes the disease is not known, but a significant damage to the immune system might cause the inflammation of the joints, resulting in this condition. Obesity, a family history of this condition and other lifestyle habits such as smoking tobacco put one at higher risks of this disorder.
The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis might vary among people. The most common symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis are;
1. Severe pain in the morning
2. Episodes of mild fever with severe pain
3. Redness and inflammation of the joints which might cause intense pain
4. Stiffness in the joints
5. The pain might increase in low-temperature conditions
6. Acute lethargy and weight loss
The treatment of rheumatoid arthritis includes a prescribed dosage (depending on the intensity of the condition) of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen, anti-rheumatoid drugs such as methotrexate and steroid drugs such as prednisone to reduce the swelling and the subsequent pain. Performing regular exercises in order to retain the flexibility of the joints with appropriate consultation from the physiotherapist might cure rheumatoid arthritis.
THE LUMBAR VERTEBRAE
The vertebrae are the individual building blocks of the spine. Each has a front and back compartment. The front compartment consists of the circular vertebral body, shaped like a cotton reel, which is specifically designed to stack easily and bear weight.
The back compartment protects the spinal segments together so they stay in place.Five lumbar vertebrae make up the low back. At the base of the spine the bottom vertebrae (L5) sits on the sacrum and the junction between the two is called the lumbo-sacral or L5-S1 joint. As the most compressed level in the spine it is the most problematic. Nearly all back pain comes from dysfunction of the front or back compartment (sometimes both) at this level.The back compartment is a ring of bone extending backwards from the vertebral body which barely takes weight. In standing it bears takes weight.
In standing it bears approximately 16 percent of body weight, but less if the spine is more humped in the sitting position where the facets are less engaged. With severe disc narrowing-the primary form of breakdown of the spine-the facets may be forced to take much more weight (upto 70 percent of the weight through the spine), which is tremendously destructive.
Each ring of the back compartment has small projections of bone sprigging from the outside corners: two wings out either side, called the transverse processes and a fin projecting out the back called the spinous process (these are the knobs of the spine running down the back you can see through the skin). All these bony bars serve as levers for the attachment of muscle which make the vertebrae move.All the muscles working the segments exert a downward pull as they make them move.
This is noteworthy because lumbar compression is the main cause of low back pain. If you bear in mind how much time we spend upright, fighting the weighing-down effects of gravity, you can see there are two factors at the start-our weight and the muscular strings moving the vertebrae-contributing to compression caused by sitting.The cotton reels superimposed on one another at the disc-vertebrae union make up the beautifully bendable neurocentral core, and the junctions between are often called the inter body joints.
The bony inter-notching either side at the back makes a chain of mobile juicy aphophyseal or facet joints, running down the entire length of the spine. Together, the two different types of joints of the front and back compartment make up the total ‘motion segment’ at each spinal level.
The vertebrae are prevented from grinding on one other by the intervertebral discs. These are high pressure fibrous sacks containing a central unsquashable sphere of mucoid fluid called a nucleus. The long column of bones with its high-tensile fibro-elastic pillows makes the neuro centralcore thrusting and resilient, able to take nearly all of the weight passing down through the body.
The actual shape of the bodies of the vertebral helps spread the load. They have a narrow waist which flares out to a broad weight-bearing upper and lower surface. Unlike the other lumbar vertebrae, L5 is thinner at the back which helps to form the lumbar lordosis. Its disc is also slightly wedge-shaped although it is still the fattest disc in the spine, helping it to bear the load of the rest of the spine on top.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is a degenerative disease that progresses over time. It generally affects the fingers, feet, wrists, and ankles. It causes immobility due to inflammation and stiffness as well as severe pain. This is an autoimmune disease where the body mistakenly ends up attacking the joints instead of attacking bacteria and other substances as it normally should. Severe cartilage damage can be caused if this condition is not treated on time, which can make the spacing between the bones even smaller than usual.
Let us find out how one can tackle this condition.
- Rest: While there is still no cure for this condition, one can take a number of measures in order to tackle it. One of the foremost ways of managing this condition is with the help of rest and relaxation. It is important to get plenty of sleep so that you can keep the condition from getting worse. There are a number of relaxation exercises that will help you in sleeping better, especially if you have been having trouble sleeping due to the aches and pains.
- Exercise: Depending on the doctor’s recommendations, you will need to exercise on a regular basis so as to keep the motion in your joints intact for as long as possible. Muscle and joint strengthening exercises include swimming, walking, and even gentle stretching that can help in reducing muscle fatigue. This can make your muscles stronger and increase the range of motions as well.
- Ointments and Lotions: One can turn to gels and lotions which can be topically applied. These can be prescribed by the doctor as well, so that the pain is soothed and temporary relief from pain and stiffness may be experienced. These are also available in the form of sprays. These ointments, gels or lotions usually contain camphor, menthol, capsaicin and salicylates.
- Fish Oil Supplements: Pain and stiffness can be significantly reduced with the help of fish oil, as per many medical studies. Before adding fish oil supplements to your food, you will need to talk to your orthopaedic specialist to find out if it may interfere with any medication that you may be taking for the condition or any other related disorder.
- Plant Oils: Plant oils are also known to contain fatty acids known as gamma linolenic acid, which can give much relief when it comes to pain and stiffness, especially in the morning. One must remember, though, that excessive use of this oil can lead to liver damage. So it is imperative to speak with your doctor or therapist before taking any plant oils.
- Medications: Aspirin and other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can help in containing the pain and inflammation for severe cases.