Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Srilekha Karthik
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Srilekha KarthikYour feedback matters!
My baby boy 1.5 months. (4.8 kg) splitting milk through nose almost daily & through mouth also. Doctor says its normal. But he gets breathless for the moment & we scare a lot. Also he gets gases much & do not feel comfortable during sleeps until he splits the milk. Please suggest, if it can be cured / reduced with medicine. Any test are required?
Baby is 8 mnths, I've started working past couple of weeks. Baby was exclusively on breast feeding for 6 months, now started with formula milk n rice with vegs smashed. Passes morning stools normal but sometimes in the day when I'm away at work passes loose stools is greenish in color, is it normal? Kindly help because I've been pressurised at home to stop breast feeding him. I want to continue feeding till he is 2 yrs.
Puberty results from activation of gonads (testes in boys/ ovaries in girls) by pituitary hormones LH and FSH. Activated gonads produce sexual hormones (testosterone in boys and estrogen in girls ) which are responsible for gender specific physical changes at puberty along with behaviour changes. Testosterone in boys is responsible for hair growth over pubic area and face with maturation of genital organs, breaking of voice, development of muscular and skeletal system. Similarly, estrogen in girls is responsible for breast development, maturation of genital organs with feminisation of body. Bone maturation with rapid height gain is seen at puberty both in boys and girls. Various systemic and hormonal disorders can result in either late or early puberty.
LATE PUBERTY -
Most of the boys show signs of puberty latest by age of 14 years and most girls start showing signs of puberty latest by age of 13 years. The earliest sign of puberty in boys is enlargement of testes and in girls is height spurt/breast development. When boys older than 14 years and girls older than 13 years don't have any signs of puberty it is called delayed puberty.
CAUSES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
- Constitutional delay is most common cause of delayed puberty. The constitutional delay means child is not having any illness and he is going to develop puberty spontaneously at later age. But diagnosis of this condition can be made only after physical examination and investigations so that other causes of delayed puberty are ruled out.
- Functional hypogonadotropic Hypopogonadism - Delayed but spontaneous puberty develops. This condition can be seen in systemic illnesses like chronic infections, poor nutritional status etc.
- Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism - Disorders of pituitary gland result in low LH and FSH so that testes/ovaries are not stimulated and sex hormone is not produced. This can be caused by various genetic disorders, brain tumours, head injury, brain radiation etc.
- Hypergonadotropic Hypogonadism - In this scenario, LH and FSH levels are normal but gonadal are not able to produce sex hormones resulting in delayed puberty.
CONSEQUENCES OF DELAYED PUBERTY -
The absence of age specific pubertal changes cause anxiety and distress in children and their parents. These children may develop low self-esteem and are teased by their peers. Along with the poor development of physical signs of puberty, fertility is also affected in hypogonadism. And most importantly, delayed puberty can be the symptom of serious underlying illness like intracranial tumours etc. These children deserve medical attention to get best results.
Serum testosterone/estradiol with LH and FSH is done to find out where is defect i.e. whether at the level of pituitary gland or at the level of testes/ovaries. Further investigations depend on levels LH, FSH, estradiol/testosterone. Other useful investigations include prolactin, T4, TSH, ray hand for bone age, ultrasound pelvis, MRI pituitary gland etc.
After diagnosis is established, Testosterone/estrogen replacement should be started to boys older than 14 year and girls older than 13 years respectively. Hormone replacement is very effective and usually safe. In adulthood those with hypogonadotropic hypogonadism can be treated with LH and FSH to produce sperms/ eggs so that they can achieve fertility. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.
My child have undescen testicles problem which we came to known recently. His age is 5 and weight is 24 kgs. Am fear of surgery. Any solution in homeopathy for this.
If your child is suffering from mental retardation, homeopathy can help. A system of complementary medicine, homeopathy works on the dictum of ‘like treats like’. It is able to treat some of the toughest disorders and illnesses that allopathy finds hard to contain.
Mental retardation: Definition
- Mental retardation is a blanket term for a pattern of persistently slow learning of basic motor and language milestones during childhood.
- The adult manifests a below-normal intellectual capacity too.Such people have an intelligence quotient (IQ) of 70 or below.
- They usually have developmental disabilities, developmental delay, or learning difficulties.
These signs should alert parents and spur them to see a doctor-
- If your child learns to sit up, to crawl, or to walk later than other children
- Trouble speaking and forming words, remembering things, and having trouble understanding social rules
- Trouble solving problems
- Trouble thinking logically
What needs to be made clear is that poor academic performance by itself is not a sign of mental retardation. It can be due to multifarious reasons like behaviour problems.
Causes of mental retardation
- Down syndrome and Fragile X syndrome are the most common genetic causes of mental retardation.
- Problems during pregnancy and birth
- Rubella infection in pregnant mother
- Iodine deficiency in mothers
- Malnutrition is a common cause of reduced intelligence in children.
Here are some homoeopathic remedies for the treatment of mental retardation. All you have to keep in mind is to treat this article as a guide and take medicines only under the guidance of a certified and trained homeopath.
- Abrotanum: This remedy works when your child shows marked emaciation of legs, has ageing, flabby, and loose skin, and he cannot hold up his head.
- Baryta carb: This homeopathy remedy is very effective in treating cretinism which is marked by a dwarfish appearance, mental retardation, with swollen abdomen, puffy face, enlarged glands, thick lips and short stature. Such children also show delayed milestones like learning to walk and speak.
- Calcarea carb: When your child presents symptoms like obesity, a chalky look with red face, large belly, large head, pale skin, soft bones, increased sweating, mental slowness, de¬layed skills-walking, talking, etc., this remedy is indicated.
- Medorrinum: The remedy is prescribed by homeopaths when your child presents symptoms like dullness and sluggishness, extreme forgetfulness, imbecility, impatience, irritability, difficulty in concentration etc. The remedy is very good for treating delusions, hallucinations, and illusions.
There are other things that you as a parent can do to help your intellectually disabled child like learn everything you can about intellectual disabilities. This way you can guide your child to live a near-normal life successfully. Also get your child involved in group activities like art classes, drawing etc. This will help him learn social skills and become more independent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.