Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Sri Rangaraj
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Sri RangarajYour feedback matters!
I have pain on my right shoulder joint by lifting heavy weight. I am unable to control my shoulder muscle. What should I do now?
Also known as Median Nerve Compression, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is characterized by a sensation of tingling and numbness in the hands or the arm caused due to a strained nerve of the wrist. This condition occurs due to stress which affects the functioning of the part of median nerve, situated along the wrist.
Various Causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
Constant movement of the hands in activities such as typing on the computer
Various Symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
The symptoms of this syndrome start to show up when there is excessive pressure build up in the median nerve of the wrist. You may experience-
- A sensation of numbness
- A sensation akin to the pain experienced when needles are inserted into the skin
- Pain (mostly at night)
The build- up of pressure can occur due to a number of reasons. They are
- Painful injury
- Tenosynovitis (a condition that affects the tendons along the sides of the thumb)
- The compression of the nerve may develop anywhere, and not necessarily the wrist only.
Diagnosis of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
Doctors base their diagnosis of the condition on the symptoms and certain tests. These include-
- Phalen’s test (a test that is carried out to determine any pain or numbness in the fingers within one minute of this activity)
- Wrist flexion/median nerve compression test
- Tinel’s test (a test that is used to diagnose irritated nerves)
- Few nerve enlargements may be revealed by an ultrasound, X-Ray, MRI scan, CT scans etc. The doctor generally recommends any of the above tests to determine carpal tunnel syndrome.
Important measures that help treat the condition are
- Getting ample rest
- Educating yourself on the various symptoms
- Knowing certain activities or movements that trigger symptoms
- Attending physiotherapy sessions
- Physiotherapy as an important form of treatment for Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Extensibility of muscle as well as soft tissue
- Strengthening the forearms and the ability to grip things and pinch too
- Maintaining posture and performing hand agility exercises can improve the hand movement
- Mobilization of the Carpal bone and stretching of the flexor retinaculum (a fibrous band near one’s wrist) so as to widen the carpal tunnel
- Gliding training for nerves/ tendons for unrestricted motion
- Endurance training for strengthening the upper limb as well as the wrist
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!