Find numerous Audiologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Audiologists with more than 32 years of experience on Lybrate.com. We will help you find the best Audiologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Mr. Sonu Kumar
Submit a review for Mr. Sonu KumarYour feedback matters!
Patient Review Highlights
Your hearing is one of the most important functions your body carries out and sometimes you realize that you are losing your sense of hearing when it is too late to get it back. There are two main reasons for this. One of the reasons is age, as the inner ear's hair cells break down and do not pick up sound well. Here are 7 ways to safeguard your hearing:
- Try to avoid loud places: It is not advisable to go to places where you have to shout to be heard such as in a street, a concert or a construction site.
- Buy low noise rating equipment: The equipments in your house will make sounds that you hear the most. Try to avoid these equipments by buying appliances with a low noise rating.
- Wear hearing protection at loud places: However, it is true that it is not always possible to avoid loud noises. This is when you need to get hearing protection. Earplugs and earmuffs are two of the best ways to make sure that even when you are in a loud place, your hearing does not get affected. Earplugs and earmuffs generally reduce sound by 15 to 30 decibels which may be crucial to make sure that later in your life, you do not lose your hearing.
- Avoid smoke: Smoking raises your chances of hearing loss. Second hand smoke does the same thing. Therefore, try to stop smoking if you are a smoker, and try to stop consuming second hand smoke if you are not a smoker.
- Remove earwax properly: Earwax cannot be removed properly using a cotton bud. Remember this as otherwise; the earwax could muffle your hearing. Patient should go to doctor to get it cleaned. Mobile phone use should be restricted.
- Avoid medications which reduce hearing: Certain medications increase hearing loss. Therefore, double check with your doctor to make sure your medicines will not make you lose your hearing.
- Get your hearing tested: Finally, get your hearing tested as identifying the problem early on can help stop worsen the situation. Doctor can also prescribe some nerve vitamins to minimise damage to hearing.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Due to hearing or watching videos through earphones, I have some hearing problem not too much but little small. Please give proper suggestion.
I am losing hear quickly and have tried all shampoos but no effect yet. I am not sure what Elsa can I do. Can you please halo me with this.
Loss or impairment of hearing can happen due to a variety of causes and may be temporary or permanent in nature, depending on the type and severity of the condition. One of the most common causes of hearing impairment is age. The degeneration of one's vital organs and senses becomes a reality for many people as the advancement of age happens, and the delicate insides of the ears are no different. Noise pollution, injury to the ear drum or any other part of the ear, as well as the movement of particles inside are only a few of the many reasons for loss of hearing. One of the many ways of dealing with long term hearing impairment is by using a hearing aid.
Read on to know how you can regain your hearing with hearing aids:
- Long Forgotten Sound: A hearing aid will help you reacquaint yourself with long forgotten and subtle sounds that you may not have been able to hear for a long time. Many times, this kind of impairment also makes us forget to notice the fact that we do not hear so many normal sounds in our everyday lives - sounds that we probably did not notice even earlier. This may include the whirring of a fan, the whoosh of the air, the pitter patter of pets' feet and so much more. A hearing aid will help in bringing about an adjustment to these sounds that you will actually end up discovering again.
- Technicalities: The hearing aid basically works by letting your hearing and ears readjust to the various volumes, intensity and vibrations that one feels when different sounds reach the ears. This helps in hearing better.
- Amplification: A hearing aid is basically an electroacoustic device that fits in neatly behind your ear where it is tucked away from plain sight. This device helps in amplifying sounds so that you can catch them and hear them more clearly.
- Modulation: The ENT specialist will usually prescribe a certain kind of hearing aid based on your individual condition in terms of volume, size, power and circulation. These factors help in modulating the sounds in a certain way so that they reach the nerve pathways from the inner ear and travel to the brain in a proper and effective way. This is usually done in a customised way to cater to the specific type and cause of your hearing loss.
Using a hearing aid is a matter of retraining your hearing rather than restoring it completely. These aids will be helpful in regaining a better sense of hearing within the condition you are going through, rather than reversing the condition completely. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
Dr. Sir, I suffer from profound Hearing loss. I am Male 68 yrs, Veg, 74 Kgs, Non Smoker. My Doctor advised me to take "High Res CT Scan Temporal Bone (Bilateral) Does this give only the cause/source for Hearing loss OR does it give any other problems (not related to Hearing) also. OR can we include some other tests also, to check if there are any other problems. Please clarify.
I have hearing problem. The doctors advised me to fit hearing aid of worth one lacs which is beyond my reach. I hear sound of a speakers but not voice. What I can do in these situation. Is there any cocliar implant is useful to me?
I want to remove my wisdom tooth as there is cavity. I want to know that is there any hearing will be effected aftr making it removed. I have heard it effects ear.
I have used dewax solution to clean my ears. After cleaning ears they are getting closed and its dim to hear and also making my mood dim. What can I do to make them clear and clean?
A cochlear implant is an electronic device that is used to restore hearing ability in people who suffer from hearing loss due to inner ear damage. Unlike hearing aids which amplify sounds so people with hearing loss are better able to perceive them, cochlear implants directly transmit electronic sound signals to the auditory nerve. They work by compensating for damaged cochlea, the part of inner ear that converts sound waves into neural impulses which are perceived by the brain.
- A child who cannot hear will also never be able to speak.
- Inability to hear and speak puts a person at disadvantage in society.
- Simple tasks like talking on the phone which we take for granted become impossible.
- Conventional methods of learning like attending a classroom lecture become impossible.
- Brain development and intelligence is closely linked to development of speech and language.
- Inability of parents to communicate with child leads to emotional distancing.
- Integrating a hearing disabled person in to society becomes a frustrating experience for all involved.
- Cost of integration per capita in much higher when compared to cost of Cochlear Implant.
- Children with Cochlear Implants are fully integrated in society with normal hearing & speech.
- Children with Cochlear Implants can attend regular schools & colleges
- Early identification of hearing impairment gives children a better chance of developing speech and language skills, and of making the most of social and emotional interaction from an early age.
Cochlear implants offer a multitude of benefits to people experiencing hearing loss, especially infants and children with severe hearing loss who are just starting to process language and speech. Some of these benefits are:
- Hearing and communication – Cochlear implants improve hearing significantly, especially to a level where normal communication can be restored. It enhances the person’s ability to hear speech without relying on visual cues such as lip reading or hand signs. It makes telephonic conversation a lot easier. Cochlear implants also help people regulate their own voice and volume so that it is easier for others to understand them.
- Quality of life - It can help people with hearing loss listen to and enjoy music and also watch television with sounds. It helps people listen to sounds in a noisy environment and differentiate soft sounds from loud ones.
- Safety – Cochlear implants enhance the individual’s safety as it allows the person to be able to hear warning sounds like honking cars or ambulance sirens. This will allow people to navigate public spaces in a much safer way.
- Society - For children with hearing loss, cochlear implants can help them adjust a lot better to regular schools instead of requiring special institutions.
- Brain development - It can help infants with cochlear damage develop their speech recognition and speaking skills much faster.
- Only device of its kind that can restore a special sense.
- Consists of 2 parts-
- One part is surgically implanted in the body
- Second part is worn behind the ear and communicates with internal part using wireless signals
- Persons of any age can get a cochlear implant, from less than one year old children to 90 year old persons have received implants all around the world.
- Cochlear implants can be done for partial hearing loss also, know as Hybrid implant that preserves the residual natural hearing and augments hearing only in certain sound frequencies in which hearing loss is present.
- Are being used for indications other than hearing loss also like Tinnitus.
- Surgery is a day care procedure for most patients.
CochlearConsult a doctor to get a clear assessment of whether you would be an eligible candidate for a cochlear implant and what to expect from the procedure. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!