Lybrate.com has an excellent community of Rheumatologists in India. You will find Rheumatologists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Rheumatologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Somnath Mitra
Treatment of Arthritis
Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis
Treatment of Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystroph
Treatment of Rheumatic Arthritis
Treatment of Psoriatic Arthritis
Treatment of Polymyalgia Rheumatica and Giant Cell
Treatment of Myotonia Congenita
Treatment of Paget'S Disease of Bone
Treatment of CAPS Syndrome
Treatment of Spheroid Body Myopathy
Treatment of Potassium-aggravated Myotonias
Treatment of Paramyotonia Congenita
Treatment of Scapuloperoneal Myopathy
Treatment of Primary Angiitis
Submit a review for Dr. Somnath MitraYour feedback matters!
The after effects of any surgery can be harsh on the body. Post knee replacement surgery, one will need to remain in a straight and relaxed position for a long time due to the bed rest prescribed by the orthopaedic specialist. Yet, it is important to carry out some kind of activity after the surgery so as to make the knee strong, firm and ready to be normal again.
Here are a few physiotherapy exercises that can help post knee replacement patients:
- Pumps and Circles: Ankle pumps and circles should be done in sets of ten per direction. This can help in ensuring that the blood circulation and nerve function normalise within no time after the surgery. This action is especially helpful because it affects the heels, calves and leg muscles before reaching the knee. Ensure that you rotate each foot clockwise and the counter clockwise.
- Thigh Squeeze: The thigh squeeze is an excellent want to ensure that you are working the muscles of the legs without putting undue pressure on the knees. This is especially helpful when you have been advised bed rest. This motion involves squeezing and releasing the thighs so that there is some amount of firmness that is being built along with strength and stamina. You can hold the squeeze for five to ten seconds before you relax and try again.
- Heel Slide: The heel slide is a good option for those who are going through bed rest. This exercise ensures that you work your knee in a suitable way as the bending motion gets the knee to get used to being functional again. Due to the posture of the patient, this does not put pressure on the knee. Slowly bring your heel up, stop and then slide it down. Repeat at least ten times for each knee before increasing it to twenty times.
- Kicks: While you are lying down, you can render small kicks into the air. Repeat at least ten times for each leg before increasing it gradually to twenty kicks per leg. This should be done when you are lying flat on your back. This exercise can help in flexing and strengthening your quadriceps. Hold the kick for at least five to ten seconds before you relax and repeat with the other leg.
- Sitting Flex: You can also sit in a chair and flex your knee, holding the leg out in front of you for at least five to ten seconds, before slowly bringing it down and lifting again. This will help in strengthening the thigh and knee to a great extent.
You will need to exercise regularly in order to recover well after a knee replacement procedure.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hi my father's age is 72 years and he is having lot of pain in his knees. He is suffering from osteoarthritis. Please help me how to reduce his pain as he cant even walk
I am 24 years old. I have pain behind left knee from 2 months. Whenever I jump I got severe pain but in routine it is alright. When painoccurs, I feel my leg divided in two pieces. I got x-ray but no issue there. Please suggest some cure for this. Thanks.
This is a form of epithelial cancer and is a lose called eating cancer
Symptoms:- it first appears on the nose as a hard, dusky red sore and spreads in ulcerative form destroying the tissues till the bones are exposed. This affect women 10 time more than men. It usually appears in women between the age. Nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain may accompany. It is an ulcerative skin disease and requires a very long-term treatment. Sensitivity to sunlight is usually present. Lupus is caused by disruption of body waste disposal system from failure of special enzyme d nasil, which fails to remove wastes from the body.
The disease is easily noticeable as it is outside the body on the the skin and biopsy is performed to confirm it.
If possible, the affected portion of the body is cut out.
I suggest homoeo doctor consult and homoeo treatment best.
My wife aged 58 years having a kneen pain for the last 5 years and now also developed back pain for the last 3 months -consulted so many doctors in faridabad and they give only pain killers which give short time relief kindly advise permanent relief from this problem
I am suffering from anxiety and insomnia for last 7 years. There is slight depression because of negative thinking and feel bad and tired even of slight adverse event which continue to come in my mind. Taking Zapiz .25 mg or equilibrium tab.
I am 75 years old having a problem of insomnia for the last one year. I get hardly 4-5 hrs disturbed sleep at night. Next day through outfeel headache, burning of eyes and feel lousy. It becomes difficult for me to do routine work due to sleepless. I am a diabetic patient under control and also having a prostate problem under treatment. Please advise me the remedy for treatment of insomnia. Thanks.
RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS: THE INFLAMMATORY DISEASE Rheumatoid arthritis usually begins slowly but sometimes comes on suddenly. Symptoms may appear, go away, and return again. While it is a systemic disease of inflammation, the most noticeable symptoms are vaguely or acutely sore joints of the hands and feet. The inflammation also affects the connective tissues throughout the body, which may contribute to a sick all over feeling. Rheumatoid arthritis begins with inflammation in the synovial membrane, a thin tissue that lines the capsule surrounding the joint.Inflammation of the synovial membrane may spread to other parts of the joint.Inflamed tissue may grow into the cartilage surroundings the bone ends, causing it to deteriorate. When the cartilage disintegrates, scar tissue forms between the bone ends. Sometimes the scar tissue solidifies into bones, fusing the joint, making it rigid and difficult to move.
HOW DOES RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS FEEL?
Different people have different symptoms, but characteristically pain and stiffness occur in the morning and subside during the day. If you have this disease, getting up in the morning may be the hardest part of the day for you. While a few minutes of stiffness in the morning may be normal, people with inflammation due to rheumatoid arthritis are frequently stiff for one or two hours.Usually more than one joint is affected by rheumatoid arthritis. As the joints stiffen, swelling and tenderness become more apparent.Full motion becomes painful and difficult. When rheumatoid arthritis affects the hands, the fingers may become deformed and everyday takes become difficult to perform. The pain may become more severe with strenuous activity.Because rheumatoid arthritis often affects connective tissues throughout the body, there may be fever, poor appetite, weight loss,and anemia. The spleen and lymph glands may become enlarged. Early diagnosis and treatment can reduce the possibilities of dangerous and crippling effects.