Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shyalaja Babu
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Shyalaja BabuYour feedback matters!
Really satisfied with doctor advice and treatment
Pilonidal Sinus is the small channel in the skin near the tailbone that may sometimes be filled with pus or fluid. This accumulated pus leads to the formation of abscess or cyst. Pilonidal cysts occur near the coccyx or tailbone, right at the top of the buttock crease.
Pilonidal sinus consists of dirt, hair and debris that penetrates your skin, becomes embedded and thereby causes infection. Once the cyst gets infected, you may see blood or pus oozing out of the channel, which causes severe pain. Pilonidal sinus usually affects men and young adults (after puberty). This type of skin disease is mostly observed in people who sit for prolonged period, such as desk-job workers, truck drivers etc.
What are the causes and symptoms?
Doctors suggest, pilonidal sinus or cysts is caused due to factors such as - hormonal changes during puberty, friction resulting from wearing tight clothes, prolonged sitting, hair growth etc. The hair growing in the region is forced to burrow back beneath your skin. In certain cases, the patient may develop multiple sinuses which connect under the skin.
The signs and symptoms of pilonidal sinus include-
- Pain when standing or sitting for long
- Swelling of the cyst
- Redness and soreness around the affected skin
- Formation of multiple holes (sinus tracts) in the skin
- Foul odor
- Blood or pus oozing out of the abscess
- Hair sticking out of the lesion
Pilonidal sinus can be embarrassing and painful, if left untreated for long.
What is the treatment for this condition?
Usually Surgery/ Z-Plasty is advised for Pilonidal sinus but it is not a right choice as after surgery incidence of recurrence are very high. This disease can be completely treated by highly specialized Ayurvedic Ksharsutra Treatment.
In this treatment Ksharsutra – a medicated thread is placed in sinus tract. Medicine released from the thread debrides the sinus tract and induces healing. This medicine remains active for 5 – 7 days so this thread needs to be changed with a new Ksharsutra at weekly interval. Healing rate of sinus is 0.5 to 1 cm per week and No. of weekly thread change (duration of treatment) will depend on length of Sinus tract. That is to say for complete healing of a 3 cm long sinus tract about 4-5 weekly Ksharsutra changes are necessary. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Development of a fetus within a mother's womb is a complicated biological process and also involves many intricate chemical processes.
One well known deformity that has been reported fairly regularly with infants is that of a cleft lip. A statistics of average states that one baby in every 2000 births will be born with a cleft lip.
This is a condition that is easily treatable through surgery.
What is a Cleft Lip?
A cleft lip, which more often than not comes with a cleft palate as well, is a deformity where the lips of the baby's mouth aren't joined properly to the face on the upper lip. It appears to be like a slit on the upper lip that runs to the nose.
In most cases this is accompanied by the cleft palate where the slit may have the shape not just superficially, but the roof of the mouth may also be carved out in a similar shape.
Causes behind cleft lip development-
Some of the factors that may lead to cleft lip and cleft palate developments are mentioned below,
- Genetic - In most cases these deformities are usually passed on from one of the parents to the baby.
- Medicinal - If the pregnant mother takes certain anti-seizure or anti convulsing drugs it may contribute to the defects.
- Infections - If the mother gets infected with certain diseases, it may also contribute to this deformity.
Benefits and need for Cleft Lip Surgery
While for some, cleft lip surgery may be an absolutely a cosmetic procedure, for others it may be essential for correcting other issues.
Some of the major benefits of cleft lip surgery are:
- Issues with eating food - With cleft lip surgery, difficulties in eating and consumption of food will be reduced or completely eliminated as many patients have reported difficulties in this area.
- Speech problems - By far the most number of complaints with cleft lip deformities have been with speech problems, which the surgery along with speech therapy, can definitely help to correct.
- Reducing the chance of ear nose and throat infections - Children who have a cleft lip and palate are at an increased risk of ENT infections and thus, a cleft lip correction surgery can help reduce the chances for that.
- Dental problems - Another area where surgery may help is with dental problems as a cleft lip and palate is known to cause deformities in teeth as well.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!