Find numerous Ayurvedas in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Shruthi HegdeYour feedback matters!
An STD or sexually transmitted disease is usually an infection which spreads from one person to another during sexual contact. Some STDs can also be transferred through touch, since they spread by skin contact. People hardly like to talk or discuss about STDs, but it is very important to rule out the possibilities of STD. Whether one likes it or not, if STD testing is ignored, then it can lead to long-term consequences.
Why STD Testing is Important?
Often STDs have no signs and symptoms, and the only way to know that are you suffering from an STD is to get tested for it. So it is a good idea to get yourself tested, as you never know if you might have STD even though you don't show symptoms. Also, when STDs are diagnosed, most of them can be cured.
Consequences of not Getting Tested
If one has STD and is not getting tested for the same, then it could lead to health problems which can cause permanent damages or might prove to be fatal. Some of the problems are:
- Undiagnosed and untreated STDs can lead to damaged reproductive system, leading to sterile men and women.
- Chlamydia, if untreated can lead to epididymitis and shrinkage of testicles and infertility in men. It also leads to pelvic inflammatory disease. But, good news is, it can be treated easily.
- Syphilis can make a person blind and deaf, and can also be passed on to babies.
- Gonorrhea, which can also be treated easily with antibiotics, can lead to infertility or death if untreated.
- Even HIV/AIDS if diagnosed in early stages can enable the patient to lead a normal life and does not mean only death, contrary to conventional perceptions.
Symptoms of STD
While, gonorrhea, chlamydia and human papilloma virus (HPV) have no symptoms, the common symptoms of STDs might vary.
- In women, the common symptoms are pain and burning sensation during urination, blood in vaginal discharge as also abnormal vaginal discharge, abdominal pain, blisters, warts, and swollen glands.
- Men often experience inflammation of the testicles, prostate, sores, fever, urethral discharge and pain during urination.
If these symptoms are observed, it is vital to get tested for STDs. Also, the best way to protect your partner is not to practice unsafe sex and to refrain from the same until diagnosed and treatment is complete.
Getting yourself tested for STD is also beneficial, as it can prevent against complications like cancers and infertility. The standard STD panel of tests consists of Herpes IgG antibody and HIV antibody blood tests, along with a blood test for syphilis antibody and DNA urine test for gonorrhea and Chlamydia. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Gynaecologist.
Which test should we do to keep us best of our general health. There is some confusion as the rates of Master health checkup is different and many different combinations are available.
Hi am suffering from frequent eye blinking and un-easiness in nose and throat from last few days. Please suggest.
A bad smell comes from my vagina. I get to know this cause my underpants also stink. What to do to get rid of this bad smell.
I am 25 year oil women and I am a fat girl. What to do to loose weight. I eat less and I also do exercise but I am not able to solve my problem. Help me.
I had unprotected intercourse on first day of my period I.e on 22nd April .usually my menstrual cycle follow 28-32 cycle. Is there chance for me to become pregnant?
I have got an anxiety of being suffer from rabbies. I read about it a lot in internet. Every morning I woke up fearing from fear of water. Every moment I spent thinking what would happen if I get rabbies' and this kind of thought .How could I get relief? actually I touch saliva of nilgai in a zoo. No open wound must'nt present on my hand at that time. But not able to convince myself.
Irregular periods and always some small amount of liquid come out from her important parts, right now she had tablet for infection on her important part as per doctor advice, I ask one question she feel very tired now, whether it is related to that, and I need clear information on infection on her important parts, I need reason for that, and treatment.
Arthritis is an agonising and degenerative condition caused by swelling and inflammation of the joints that causes pain and stiffness. Whether it is dull, sharp, smouldering or a pressure that must be described as having a hammer crushing one of your joints, chronic arthritis pain and joint inflammation is a very common disease among many adults.
Here are a few generic tips to help the condition of arthritis:
- General and regular exercising: Specialists prescribe the use of a workout plan that guarantees certain activities and exercise routine. The point of the regular exercising routine is to guarantee mobility and flexibility of the joints and enhance the scope of movement for patients. In the meantime, working out helps in enhancing the quality of the joints and allows better strength and support for the body. Along these lines, they help in diminishing both weight and strain on the joints.
- Weight control and healthy diet: Patients with arthritis will suffer more on account of weight gain. To keep away from an excess of weight and pressure on the joints as an after effects of weight gain, stay away from putting on weight. Eat healthier foods that comprise of more minerals and vitamins while giving less fat and calories to the body. Increasing vegetables and organic products in the eating regimen is great for arthritis pain. The leafy vegetables contain anti-oxidants. They also have anti-inflammatory effects on the joints and bones.
- Hot and cool treatment: Simple and basic hot and cold treatments can improve things greatly with regards to arthritis pain. Long, warm baths or showers particularly in the morning ease solidness and stiffness in your joints. Use an electric cover or warming cushion around evening time to keep your joints free and use moist warming cushions. Cool treatments are best to relieve arthritis pain. Wrap a gel ice pack or a sack of frozen vegetables in a towel and apply it to the painful joints for fast alleviation and relief from the pain and swelling.
- Inflammatory and anti-inflammatory foods: Arthritis and joint pain can increase if patients continue using nourishments that have high inflammatory impacts. However, some might not have a thought of what the foods are or what they give to the body. One needs to abstain from eating fast and junk food and processed food products. Turmeric, the most basic Indian spice, has a chemical in it called curcumin that might have the capacity to diminish arthritis pain.
- Plan carefully: It is hard to tell when a flare-up may happen, making your joints turn out to be hard and swollen, or when you will try too hard while working out. Since you cannot anticipate these occasions, it is a smart thought to be prepared beforehand and get ready for issues before they emerge with medication and your emergency numbers in place.
What Are Antibiotics.The word antibiotic comes from the Greek anti meaning ‘against’ and bios meaning ‘life’ (a bacterium is a life form).’ Antibiotics are also known as antibacterials, and they are drugs used to treat infections caused by bacteria. Bacteria are tiny organisms that can sometimes cause illness to humans and animals.
Antibiotics, first used in the 1940s,
An antibacterial is a compound or substance that kills or slows down the growth of bacteria.
Before bacteria can multiply and cause symptoms our immune system can usually destroy them. We have special white blood cells that attack harmful bacteria. Even if symptoms do occur, our immune system can usually cope and fight off the infection.
The first antibiotic was penicillin.
How do antibiotics work?
Although there are a number of different types of antibiotic they all work in one of two ways:
A bactericidal antibiotic kills the bacteria. Penicillin is a bactericidal. A bactericidal usually either interferes with the formation of the bacterium’s cell wall or its cell contents.
A bacteriostatic stops bacteria from multiplying.
What are antibiotics for? Do antibiotics work against all infections?
An antibiotic is given for the treatment of an infection caused by bacteria. Antibiotics target microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi and parasites. However, they are not effective against viruses. If you have an infection it is important to know whether it is caused by bacteria or a virus. Most upper respiratory tract infections, such as the common cold and sore throats are generally caused by viruses – antibiotics do not work against these viruses.
What are the side-effects of antibiotics?
antibiotics can cause more harm than good when they aren’t used the right way
Below is a list of the most common side-effects of antibiotics:
Side-effects range from mild to very serious depending on the antibiotics used, the microbial organisms targeted, and the individual patient.Safety profiles of newer drugs are often not as well established as for those that have a long history of use.
Adverse effects range from fever and nausea to major allergic reactions, including photodermatitis and anaphylaxis.
Feeling and being sick
Fungal infections of the mouth, digestive tract and vagina
Below is a list of rare side-effects of antibiotics:
Formation of kidney stones (when taking sulphonamides)
Abnormal blood clotting (when taking some cephalosporins)
Sensitivity to sun (when taking tetracyclines)
Blood disorders (when taking trimethoprim)
Deafness (when taking erythromycin and the aminoglycosides)
Allergic reactions to antibiotics
Some patients may develop an allergic reaction to antibiotics – especially penicillins. Side effects might include a rash, swelling of the tongue and face, and difficulty breathing. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic you must tell your doctor and/or pharmacist. Reactions to antibiotics can be very serious, and sometimes fatal – they are called anaphylactic reactions.
Interactions between alcohol and certain antibacterials may occur and may cause side-effects
Use antibiotics with extreme caution and ensure you inform your doctor/pharmacist if:
You have reduced liver or kidney function.
You are pregnant
You are breastfeeding.
One of the foremost concerns in modern medicine is antibiotic resistance. Simply put, if an antibiotic is used long enough, bacteria will emerge that cannot be killed by that antibiotic. This is known as antibiotic resistance.But overprescribing them has resulted in the development of resistant bacteria, which are bacteria that don’t respond to antibiotics that may have worked in the past. Infections exist today that are caused by bacteria resistant to some antibiotics. The existence of antibiotic-resistant bacteria creates the danger of life-threatening infections that don’t respond to antibiotics.
Bacteria become resistant more quickly when antibiotics are used too often or are not used correctly (such as not taking a full course of antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor).
Though antibiotics are required to treat severe bacterial infections, misuse has contributed to a rise in bacterial resistance.
Self prescription of antibacterials is an example of misuse.
Common forms of antibacterial misuse include excessive use of prophylactic antibiotics in travelers and failure of medical professionals to prescribe the correct dosage of antibioticsw on the basis of the patient’s weight and history of prior use.
Although Antibiotics are operative in eliminating bad bacteria, they also destroy the good bacteria, which is a vital part of our immune system. Good bacteria produce natural Antibiotics, Anticarcinogens and Cholesterol lowering substances and keep our digestive tracts functioning well.
Several transmuted strains of bacteria, are resilient to Antibiotics and are not influenced by the drugs of the pharmaceutical industry.
An Antibiotic or an Anti-viral drug may remove the pathogen, but will not assist in escalating the person’s immune system, thereby, increasing chances of re-infection.Due to side effects with Antibiotics and Antiviral drugs, most people these days are looking at Natural remedies.
Naturopathy or antibiotics-What do I choose and why?
Naturopathy is a traditional healing system that has been used throughout the ages and is now backed by outstanding clinical research. Naturopathy can not only shorten the length and intensity of immune complaints but also help to ward them off in the first place.
Naturopathy helps to build natural immunity by bringing ones overall health and wellbeing into alignment.
Historically Naturopaths would call your immune system your overall vitality and if you have a few too many health complaints in combination, say your digestion and immune system, then your vitality could be viewed as sub optimum. The good news is that Naturopathy has an amazing array of immune boosting herbs that can bring up your vitality in no time at all.
Mushroom extract – mushrooms in the diet can strengthen the immune system.
Honey – a very strong antibiotic on the skin, and also its astringent properties helps to heal the cut. one can apply honey a couple of times to the stitches, then covered with a large band aid.
Garlic – antibiotic, anti-parasitic and antiseptic when consumed raw, and a boost to the immune system.
Coconut oil – contains lauric acid, medium chain fatty acids that are antifungal and antibiotic. Coconut oil is awesome for keeping the skin around the stitches moist.
Naturopathy works to proved herbal and nutritional symptomatic relief but can also assist in boosting immunity against viruses and bacteria.
Homeopathic Alternatives to Antibiotics-
Your child is restless all night with a sore throat, cough and fever. You rush your child to the Doctor next morning and the Doctor prescribes an Antibiotic. A few days later, your child is well again. Actually, was it the Antibiotic that helped or did the ailment merely run its course? In another scenario, you have a sinus infection or a bladder infection, and you are prescribed an Antibiotic, after you discontinue the Antibiotic, your symptoms come back, and your Doctor recommends another course of a stronger Antibiotic. Before you recognize, you are taking different Antibiotics for extended periods.
Antibiotics are the leading prescribed drugs and have become a major part of the treatment modality in modern medicine today.
Homoeopathy:a better substitute to antibiotics- It i an effective alternate to antibiotics in infectious diseases, producing no toxic side effects & bringing about rapid recovery. Infectious diseases such as sinusitis, tonsillitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, otitis media, gastroenteritis, dysentry, urinary infections, respond well to homoeopathy.
Homeopathic medicine actually gained its greatest popularity primarily due to its impressive successes in the treatment of infectious diseases in the19th century.
What is so different about homeopathy?
Homeopathic medicines are not just composed with different medicinal ingredients, and they are not just the use of smaller doses of medicines. Homeopathy represents a different approach to understanding disease and health.
What also makes homeopathy different (and sometimes more difficult) than conventional medicine is that homeopathic medicines are not prescribed to treat a specific or localized disease but are prescribed to treat specific syndromes of symptoms of which one’s disease is just one part.
In other words, two people may have the common cold, but one would have a thin watery nasal disease that irritates the nostrils, frequent sneezing, and a headache, all of which are aggravated by warmth. The other would have thick yellowish nasal discharge that doesn’t irritate the nostrils, nasal congestion alternating with nasal discharge, a cough that is relieved in the open air, and no thirst.
In Homeopathy, there is no Antibiotic or Anti viral remedy, because every correctly prescribed Homeopathic remedy has the potential of strengthening a person’s immune system that helps to fight any bacterial or viral infection.
Homeopathy has several advantages, which make it, a preferred alternative over conventional Antibiotics. It is safe with no side effects, does not suppress the immune system
Self – care –Measures along with Homeopathic remedies during an active infection:
Eliminate caffeine, alcohol, sugar, dairy, refined foods.
Be well hydrated.
Drink warm beverages, like herbal teas.
Juice fasting can help during an infection.
Strengthen your immune system with yoghurt, foods rich in Vitamin C, Beta-carotene, and zinc.
Colon cleansing can help.
Steam baths can help detoxify your system during infections.
Massage can speed up elimination of toxins, particularly a foot massage.
Relax and get enough rest.
Local application of turmeric can help skin infections.
Hot ginger tea for throat infections.Have a positive mental attitude.
Hence, to summarize, Antibiotics are an interesting group of medications, however, they tend to be over prescribed and toxic. They must be utilized as a last option, not the first.
The use of Homeopathy as a possible alternative to Antibiotics would be more favorable, harmless and cost-effective.
Doctor I am having lot of scalps on my hair. It sheds out while rubbing with hands. After rubbing the hands will get a bad smell. What shampoo should I use and how often
I am 29 years old arranged married and mother of a 6 years old boy I believe in love and love stories. I could not find or others words I didn't find anyone to be loved. After 5 years of marriage I met someone whom I love more than anything. I feel he is my soulmate. But I could never fullfill his dreamt criteria. I feel as a failure I feel very lonely.
When I eat or breakfast time I feel vomit i'm doing exercise I can't eat too much properly and my weight isn't gain I feel vomit. What should i do?
Painful menstruation or menstrual cramp is termed as Dysmenorrhoea and refers to the discomfort or pain associated with menstruation. In 80% cases, cramps are an integral part of the preliminary dysmenorrhoea syndrome. Though this symptom is not deemed as a very serious clinical problem, the pain and its associated symptoms are acute enough to keep an affected woman from normal functioning for the first one or two days. These symptoms may take over one or two days prior to menses, reach their pinnacle on the first day and subside slowly with the passage of time. The pain can be typically depicted as being ached, cramping of the stomach and often reaching to the lower back portion.
There is probably no woman across the world, who has not undergone the painful menstrual cramps. But don't fret! Homeopathy treatment has a range of remedies to relieve you off this unease.
- Cimicifuga: Normally menstruation cramps indicate a pain that flows across the pelvic region from one side to the other. This remedy will particularly be helpful in neuralgic and rheumatic cases as well as congestive cases where it works effectively with Veratrum Viride and Belladonna. It is also very efficient in combating headaches preceding menses, acute pains across abdomen, labor like pains and scanty flow.
- Caulophyllum: This remedy is great for treating spasms and pain that flow downwards. The spasmodic periodic pains that need to be treated with Caulophyllum are mostly concentrated around the groin and radiate to other surrounding parts. Gelsemium can also be taken for treating neuralgic as well as congestive dysmenorrhoea when the pain bears down. The pains are often labor-like and spasmodic with flow of pale urine. In order to get faster relief, it can be taken along with hot bag press.
- Belladonna: If you are afflicted with the congestive forms of menstrual cramps, then you may take Belladonna. In most cases, a pain and discomfort is felt prior to the flow and a feeling of something heavy around the vulva can be relieved if you sit up straight. This pain occurs and subsides all of a sudden making the flow clotted and restricted. This kind of dysmenorrhoea is extremely painful and makes the genital dry. In case the pain gets severe and cuts through the pelvis, then Veratrum viride can also be administered.
- Zanthoxylum: This remedy is very effective in fighting dysmenorrhoea and uterine spasms. It is very effective when the pain is burning, agonising and extending down through the thighs making the limbs paralysed and numb. You can take this measure when the pain is affecting your ovaries as this medicine works closely for neuralgic form of menstrual cramps. Women with delicate nervous temperament can also take this remedy as it relieves from headache and eye pain caused from Menstruation.
Homeopathy has a huge range of medicines and it becomes difficult for a commoner to select an ideal one. Therefore, when you are deeply affected with menstrual cramps, you can always consult an expert before administering any medicine.