Find numerous Neurologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Submit a review for Dr. ShobhaYour feedback matters!
My dad had seizure at 2.30 am in the middle of sleep. The weather at the time was cold. This is the first time I have seen seizure for my dad. My father was little upset ever since my grandfather passed away last year. Will it occur again? Recurrent? Any medication for seizures? Any lifestyle changes has to be made? Kindly reply ASAP.
My father who is 52 years of age has been diagnosed of multiple sclerosis but we do not know the basis of it and the cure for it. Can you please help?
As the famous quote says, 'prevention is better than cure', let us take you through some preventive measures to keep you and your loved ones away from the dreadful brain stroke. Brain stroke occurs due to an interruption in the regular blood flow to the brain or bursting of a blood vessel or due to the bursting of blocked artery, which reduces the supply of oxygen and nutrients, leading the brain cells to die.
Top 8 things that will reduce the likelihood of having a brain stroke:
- Eat well: Having good eating habits are not just good for a healthy outlook of the body, but also benefits the body in many other ways. Eating a plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, fibre rich diet, reducing salt and fat content can prevent stroke.
- Stay Active: Regular exercising not just makes you feel and look good, but also reduces the odds of developing a brain stroke. Exercising regularly or keeping the physical activities regularly will keep you away from suffering a stroke. Pick any physical activity, but do work out to stay away from the brain stroke.
- Say no to Smoking and drugs: Yes! The more you smoke, the more are the chances of you of suffering the deadly brain stroke.
- Control your blood pressure: The ideal blood pressure for a healthy person is 120/88 mm HG. Regular check-up of blood pressure is advisable to control the chances of suffering a stroke as high blood pressure can result into damage of arteries, which causes brain stroke.
- Drink in limits: Limit the amount of alcohol you consume, as alcohol increases the blood pressure, which is one of the main reasons behind the stroke. The high amount of alcohol can increase the blood pressure to a higher level very quickly. Consulting a doctor is the best option in case you are not able to control your alcohol intake.
- Cholesterol: People suffering from high cholesterol are at higher risk of strokes as the cholesterol can travel to the arteries in the body making the arteries narrow and the body more prone to suffer a stroke. Choosing healthy lifestyle helps in reducing the cholesterol level.
- Diabetes: High level of diabetes is one of the most prominent reasons behind stroke. One should get his diabetes level checked and keep it under control since the arteries might get blocked because of fatty deposits because of higher sugar levels.
- Depression/Stress: Any kind of depression or stress, generally leads to avoidance of all or some of the points discussed above and hence becomes a reason for an unhealthy body, which is more prone to strokes. Consultation with a doctor and/or psychiatrist is advisable in case a person if suffering from depression.
Improving your health and taking charge of your life should be the top most priority and should never be ignored. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Neurosurgeon.
Hello I was diagnosed for epilepsy for 2 years and last year my course get completed but from then my hairs are falling out.
Since last 3 years my mother is suffering from numbness in hands during nights. Recently, it has started occurring in her legs also. Why is it happening and how to solve this problem at its best? please help.
I have been diagnosed with neurocysticercosis on Nov 23, 15 after having seizures and have been taking anti-seizure drugs since then. Thankfully, no episodes of seizure since then. I wanted to know if I can go for wisdom tooth extraction. Will I have any complication during the extraction procedure?
Sir, my father (about 88 yrs old) suffered a paralytic stroke 25-26 days back. After that he has lost his confidence and partial memory loss is also there. Please suggest some ayurvedic medicines to increase his confidence and to regain memory that can be given along with high BP and post paralytic medicines. Thanks.
Sir, my dad is facing high blood pressure, diabetes and paralysis (faced in 2014, about 70-75% recovered) For diabetes having around 200 after fasting, using Glyciphage G2 tablet twice daily before breakfast and dinner For paralysis, ceruvin af 75*150 after lunch For blood pressure having around 140-80, using Cinod T twice daily after breakfast and dinner (half tablet) Is this proper treatment? Age: 55 yrs Height: 5.5" Weight: 84 kgs 75*150 after lunch For blood pressure having around 140-80, using Cinod T twice daily after breakfast and dinner (half tablet) Is this proper treatment? Age: 55 yrs Height: 5.5" Weight: 84 kgs.
My mother is surrounded by the disease of clotting in brain, now she feels heavy ness in head what should we do?
Migraine is a kind of a headache. It is a derivative of the word ‘hemicranias’, meaning side headaches. However, it is not just sided headaches. It can be present in the entire head. It is characterised by a throbbing and pulsating pain.
Symptoms of Migraine Headaches-
The pain in this disease may last for hours or even days. The nature of the pain is episodic. It occurs every once in awhile. Its frequency varies from patient to patient. There may be longer gaps between the occurrences of two episodic pains. While some patient might get relief by taking a simple nap or sleep for hours, others may have a tougher time to tackle. Most patients cannot bear light during the pain and prefer staying in darker places. The pain is preceded by certain symptoms, including flashes of light, temporary blindness or tingling sensation in the limbs. These symptoms are experienced by few, while others might not have these symptoms at all.
What Causes Migraine?
The exact cause of migraine is still unknown. There are however some factors that may trigger the headaches. The most important of all these factors is stress. Any form of mental stress can initiate a headache in all patients of this disease. Other factors include exposure to sun rays, improper sleep and staying hungry than usual. Loud noise is also responsible in some cases.
Homoeopathy For Migraine Headaches-
One must understand the difference between relief and cure from migraine headaches. There are patients who take pills to get relief from the pain. These are simple painkillers. They might have been doing this for years. But these pills provide temporary relief from the pain. There are a number of home-based remedies that people take up to get relief from the pain. Patients adjust with the pain and learn to live with it. It is difficult for them to believe that their life can ever get rid of this pain permanently. However, it is possible in homeopathy.
Homeopathic treatment not only provides relief but it works to cure the disease permanently. Homeopathy doesn’t support the use of painkillers or in short cut ways of treatment. It goes deeper to find out the root cause and eradicate the tendency in a permanent basis. The homeopathic medicines take time in showing results but work best in the long run.
There are a number of homeopathic medicines to cure the disease. But here are some of the most effective ones:
Note: It is always best to consult a homeopathic practitioner before taking any medicine. There are several other medicines available too. So, your doctor will know what suits you the best, depending upon your symptoms.
I am 45 years old and I am diabetic from past 9 years and in the both legs I have various veins, will it affect my legs in future or I have to get operated on both the legs.
I am a known diabetic for 20 years taking tablets I am having numbness in both of my foot burning taking pregabaline in night only temp relief how to get permanent relief?
Whenever I study late night and go to bed, I hallucinate as if my whole body is paralysed. I can't move my hands or leg except restricted movement of head, I can't speak anything. Only thing I can do is wait for some time then it vanishes. This happens frequently when my brain is tired after study and then I went to sleep.
There is vibration in my head at anytime. Body also vibrates but head vibrates more. Like saying no by gestures in a speedy manner means more times.
Although surgery is considered to be the first step of treatment in any form of tumor but its feasibility depends upon the type, size and location of the tumor. It is not necessary that every kind of brain tumor might require surgery.
Indications of Brain Tumor Surgery
- Diagnosis of the type of tumor by taking a sample of the tumor for laboratory examination
- Complete resection of tumor
- Removal of the tumor as much as possible to slow down its growth and improve the symptoms.
- Remove the tumor in order to help other treatment
- Provide direct access for other forms of treatment like chemotherapy, radiotherapy etc.
- To relieve pressure caused by tumor on surrounding structures
Types of Brain Tumor Surgery
The different types of surgery that are performed in cases of brain tumor include the following:
Craniotomy: Craniotomy is the most commonly performed procedure to remove brain tumor along with a piece of bone. The removed bone is replaced and the tumor is sent for histopathology (biopsy). The surgery is performed using a high end microscope by any of the following techniques:
- Extended bifrontal craniotomy
- "Eyebrow" craniotomy (supra-orbital craniotomy)
- "Keyhole" craniotomy (retro-sigmoid craniotomy)
- Orbitozygomatic craniotomy
- Translabyrinthine craniotomy
Shunt: A narrow piece of flexible tube with a pressure regulated valve in between is called a shunt. This is used to relieve the intracranial pressure caused by obstruction of the natural brain fluid (CSF) pathway by tumor mass. The procedure involves insertion of a drainage system into the brain to remove or drain excess of blocked fluid into the peritoneal cavity.
Stereotactic surgery: This surgery is done by creating a three-dimensional image called stereotaxy using computers. It aims to find out the location and position of the tumor. In fact it can also be done to aid tumor removal, implant radiation pellets or for other treatments.
Embolization: It is a procedure used to reduce the amount of blood supply to a tumor by blocking the blood flow in the selected arteries. It is generally performed before the main surgery.
Endoscopy and endoscope assisted surgery: Endoscope is the tool which helps to closely visualize the tissue through small openings in difficult to reach areas. This tool can be used in various brain surgeries to precisely reach the target location without damaging the adjacent structures.
Adjuvant modalities to improve outcome: In addition to above mentioned surgeries, following surgeries may also be performed in relation to brain tumor treatment: