Find numerous Gastroenterologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gastroenterologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gastroenterologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. ShivanandYour feedback matters!
I am 20 years old, when I eat any oil foods or any masala food items, in my stomach there will be severe burning sensation hours together. I will take cool water to reduce my pain. Is it acidity or anything else? I can not even eat home food also please help me out.
Hai dear doctors, Kindly tell me the reasons and treatment for mouth ulcers. Yearly am getting 4 to 5 times mouth-ulcers. Please give solution to avoid mouth-ulcers for ever.
I am 62 old male. BP medicine taking stamlo 5 & tenormin 25 .no diabetic. Now days I have acidity problem. Pl.advice medicines.
Most do not develop symptoms even after follow up periods as long as 20 years. Approximately 20% of patients develop symptoms by 15 years. Asymptomatic gallstone disease does not need surgery but there are important exceptions tabulated below.
1.High risk for gallbladder cancer
North Indian women with gallstones
Gallstones larger than 3 cm in diameter
Porcelain gallbladder (calcification in the wall)
Gallbladder polyps larger than 12 mm
Note:- The role of prophylactic cholecystectomy in young patients from various parts of India has been emphasized in many recent papers.
Infection in the gallbladder in patients with gallstones can be life threatening
Working for prolonged periods in remote parts of the world with poor medical facilities
Symptomatic Gallstone Disease:
Although dyspepsia (upper abdominal fullness, flatulence or gas formation, heart burn, hyperacidity) are not considered typical symptoms of gallstones, in a study from AIIMS new Delhi of the 1,680 consecutive dyspeptic patients, 500 (29.8%) had gallstones. The common presentation of patients with gallstones is:-
Biliary pain: The typical first symptom is frequently characterized as pain in the right upper abdomen after a meal, more so after fatty foods.
Complications of gallstone disease
a. Acute Cholecystitis: Often patients will have history of biliary pain which lasts for > 3 hours, associated with fever and right upper quadrant tenderness (Murphy?s sign).
b. Chronic Chlolecystitis: Patients will have episodic epigastric or right upper abdominal pain lasting for more than 30 minutes
c. Choledocholithiasis: When a stone from the gallbladder slips into the common bile duct it can lead to biliary colic, obstructive jaundice followed by acute cholangitis or pancreatitis.
d. Acute Cholangitis: is a medical emergency. Patients may present with right upper quadrant abdominal pain, fever and jaundice. (Charcot?s triad)
e. Pancreatitis: A most dreaded and life threatening complication of gallstones presents with very severe, persistent central upper abdominal pain, retching and prostration.
My father is suffering with fatty liver and hernia in large intestine he is following full diet even he is suffering pls suggest me what to do.
I take paracetamol nd my fever get low but I got pain in my chest it is gastric pain which is cause by medicine what should I do sir.
Hello Dr, I am suffering from ulcerative colits and taking medicine called Mesacol. It was dignosed in 2006. Now it is under control and taking medicines not regulalrly but depends on the situations. Can you please let me know, how long should i continue with the medincines
Hi, Actually I have stomach pain from last 4-5 days I have all types of gas medicine still I have pain. Please advise.
Hello, My son who is 18 years old has a chronic problem of indigestion. After every meal he uses the washroom. He has to use effort to ease himself. He feels discomfort in the upper abdomen region, on pressing the region he feels pain. More than normal.His food habits are normal of that of a teenager. He is six feet 1inch tall and his weight us 85 kg. His posture is little hunch back, has to be reminded constantly to correct his posture. He is avid footballer, but due to his XII class studies, is a bit sedentry lately. 4 years back he had malaria, after which he had some swelling in the spleen.
I am suffering from chronic pancreatitis and recently detected with diabetes type 3. Also currently I have trapezium muscles pain bcoz of wich I am getting headache n little dizzy type for fraction of sec also I have lower back pain and also weight loss but not stable n feel weakness. Is it normal with these symptoms.
I am suffering from gas trouble for last one week and I have chest pain at that time. What should I do to get relief from this chest pain?
Cirrhosis of Liver
Cirrhosis of the liver is a chronic and progressive condition in which the liver gets damaged and healthy liver tissue is replaced with scar tissue, ultimately causing dysfunction of the liver. Liver damage obstructs the circulation to the liver and also hinders the processing of nutrients, hormones, drugs, toxins as well as the production of proteins and other substances made by the liver. Liver cirrhosis is caused due to hepatitis C, fatty liver, alcohol abuse, viral infections, inherited diseases, and as a toxic reaction to drugs and environmental waste products. The modern management of this condition involves diet modification, reduction in salt intake, total abstinence from alcohol, and avoiding all the causative factors of this condition.
Cirrhosis of liver causes multiple symptoms in the body including fluid collection in the abdomen, bleeding varices in the stomach, chronic heart failure, damage to the central nervous system, and various metabolic disorders in the body. Advanced cirrhosis of liver is ultimately fatal.
- It is therefore of prime importance to commence treatment at the earliest possible. It is of utmost importance to treat the known cause of the condition. Ayurvedic herbal medicines have a definite action on the hepatic cells and can effectively treat inflammation within the liver. Ayurvedic medicines can also treat infection as well as metabolic dysfunction of the liver, and protect it from the toxic effects of drugs and environmental wastes. Ayurvedic medicines can therefore be effectively used to treat all the known causes of liver cirrhosis.
- Liver damage causes healthy cells to be replaced with scar tissue. This is preceded by a process of inflammation, swelling and gradual death of the liver cells. Early institution of Ayurvedic treatment can help dramatically reduce inflammation and swelling and thereby preserve the liver cells and prevent unnecessary damage. Even in the early phase of scar deposition. Ayurvedic herbal medicines can help remove scar tissue, minimize permanent liver damage, and help regenerate damaged or near-dead cells Ayurvedic herbal medicines therefore form a comprehensive treatment therapy for liver cirrhosis.
- The other symptoms resulting from liver cirrhosis such as ascites, esophageal varices, congestive cardiac failure and metabolic disorders start improving automatically when the obstruction in the liver is treated and removed. However, Ayurvedic medicines can treat these symptoms independently too, if these are observed to be severe in the affected individual and require urgent medical care. Improved functioning of the liver also helps to improve the overall metabolism and nutrition of the body and metabolize toxic substances within the body. Prompt and aggressive Ayurvedic treatment therefore helps comprehensively treat liver cirrhosis and significantly reduce morbidity and mortality resulting from this disease.
- Cirrhosis can also adversely affect the central nervous system and cause psychotic symptoms and permanent nerve damage. Prompt treatment with Ayurvedic herbal medicines also helps to preserve the brain function and treat the associated symptoms. If required, brain damage can be treated separately with herbal medicines which strengthen the nervous system and help rejuvenate nerve cells. Medicines which act on the nervous system also help improve confidence and self-control and are therefore equally useful in helping the affected individual abstain completely from alcohol, which is a known and predominant cause of cirrhosis.
- Depending upon the severity of the condition, most individuals affected with cirrhosis require regular and aggressive Ayurvedic herbal treatment for periods ranging from six to eighteen months, in order to obtain significant benefit and a possible complete cure from the condition. Ayurvedic treatment thus has a definite role to play in the management and treatment of cirrhosis.
Sir I have burning sensation in chest such as acidity. please suggest me what can I do for these problem.
Mai morning me daily 5 km running karta hu uske bad v mujhe gas banti h aur sahi fresh nhi ho pata hu.
I am a moderate alcohol consumer, but not addict, after having meals containing chillies powder or pepper content I feel irritated and face heart burn similar to one that of acidity, that too in the middle of sleep.
Hi Doctor, I am having lots of hesitation to visit a hospital in regards to my issue. I am having a pain near the anus/rectum portion. I could find a bulge in that area and it is paining always. No bleeding. Kindly tell me what is the problem and proper medication. Note: I am a marketing person and travel frequently. So, always I have the fear that what will I do if I need to go to toilet while travelling. So, I use the toilets at least 3 times a day. This might be a reason for the problem I guess. Regards
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) or spastic colon is a rather common intestinal tract disease which is characterized by sharp pain in the stomach, stomach gas, diarrhea or constipation. It is a chronic condition whose exact cause, although unknown, is sometimes attributed to the dysfunctional production of the neurotransmitter, dopamine.
There is no particular treatment for IBS. However, the symptoms can be brought under control through various methods. The symptoms of IBS can be controlled by making lifestyle changes such as incorporating certain modifications to your diet and reducing or managing stress levels. For severe symptoms, you may require medications.
Patients may also consider homeopathic treatment for a rather wholesome effect and lesser side effects. The purpose of homeopathic treatment is to stimulate the body’s inner self-balancing mechanisms. In order to achieve this, this person must be provided with the right solution at the right time. Since homeopathy aims at treating the root cause of the problem, the treatment is stretched over a longer period of time. Additionally, homeopathy functions by stimulating the natural healing capabilities of the body. Some of the common homeopathic medications that can be used to treat IBS are listed below:
- Pulsatilla: Prepared from a medicinal plant known as wind flower, Pulsatilla is effective in the cure of IBS with its remedying effect on the gastrointestinal tract.
- Nux Vomica: This too is derived from a plant and has a positive effect on the digestive and nervous system, thereby being effective in the treatment of IBS.
- Sulphur: It is one of the most common choices among homeopathic practitioners for IBS. Sulphur affects the digestive tract and is helpful in the treatment of intestinal gas and constipation. It is usually prescribed for individuals who are rather thin and physically weak.
- Lycopodium Clavatum: This is mainly prescribed for people with diarrhea and stomach gas. This drug acts specifically on the gastrointestinal tract
- Asafoetida: This drug is prescribed when there is a fairly common constriction in the bowel muscles. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Homeopath.