Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Shelza Gupta
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Shelza GuptaYour feedback matters!
Knee replacement is a procedure where the weight carrying surface of knee joint is replaced surgically to ease the pain or any disability. People suffering from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis or psoriatic arthritis undergo knee replacement. All these conditions revolve around stiffness and painful knee. This surgery is usually performed on people aged over 50.
Knee replacement is mainly of two main types:
- Total knee replacement where both the sides of knee joints are replaced
- Partial knee replacement where only single side of the joint is replaced
In case of partial knee replacement with minimal invasion, a smaller incision, which is 3 to 5 inches, is required. This leads to minimal tissue damage, and the surgeon can work between the fibres of the quadriceps muscles. Here, an incision through the tendon is not required. This may result in less pain, recovery time is reduced, and motion is better as scar tissue formation is less.
In total knee replacement, four steps are performed:
- Removal of damaged cartilage surfaces, which is at the ends of the femur and tibia, with a small quantity of underlying bone.
- Replacement with metal components, which help as a recreated surface of the joint
- Incision of knee cap with a resurface made of a plastic button, which is optional based on the case
- Insertion of a medical-grade plastic spacer amid the metal components. This creates an effortless gliding surface.
After general or spinal anesthesia, an incision of 8-12inches is made in the front part of the knee. The joint part which is damaged is removed from the surface of the bones. The surfaces are then formed in a way to hold a metal or plastic artificial joint. The thigh bone shin, as well as knee cap, is attached to the artificial joint with either cement or a special material.
After Effects of the Procedure
After the surgery, patients may stay in a hospital for three to five days. Post surgery, notable improvement can be seen after a month or later. The patient is gradually relieved from pain with the construction of new gliding surface during surgery.
There will be slow progress in the movement. In the beginning, one may walk with a support of parallel bars and then with the help of crutches, walker, or cane. After full recovery in about six weeks, people can enjoy normal activities except running or jumping.
Presently, over 90% of total knee replacements function well for 20 to 22 years of surgery. Hence, knee problem is no problem at all!
The Rehabilitation After Total Knee Replacement:
- Full weight-bearing walking, knee bending, exercise next day after surgery
- Commode use, sitting on chair 2nd day
- 3rd day: Stair climbing, start cross leg sitting
- 2 weeks: Suture removal and walking to outdoors
Patients whose knee joints have been damaged by either trauma or progressive arthritis should consider total knee replacement surgery. The post-surgical hospital stay after knee joint replacement is usually three to five days. The surgery has a very high success rate and shows dramatic improvement after a month. This improvement is most notable one month or more after surgery. The pain caused by the damaged joint is reduced significantly when the new gliding surface is constructed during surgery. Initially, the patient will walk with the help of a walking aid until the knee is able to support full body weight. After six weeks, the patient can walk comfortably with minimal assistance. Patients with artificial joints are prescribed to take antibiotics during the course of any elective invasive procedures including dental work. Physiotherapy is an essential part of rehabilitation and it will increase the muscle strength and patient can enjoy most activities, except running and jumping. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Orthopedist.
Hello sir / mam I have knee pain when the weather is become to cold my knee paining is start and also when I open and close to my knee have arising vice. And also some time my own food in back section become to cold please help me and recommendation to same medicine I take Thanks.
Sir, i am suffering from joint. Pains swelling, stiffness(fingers, palm, knees and foot) since after chigungunya, at present I am taking treatment from orthopedic Dr. Aravindam from rajahmundry, he suggested tab. Sazo-500 mg, sorez along with some multivitamin tables( since one month) but no response, my uric acid is 5. 8 mg/dil. Every thing is alright, you suggest me better treatment for relief . Regards
My Son 21 Years Old met with an accident and had a fractured D4 leading to Paraplegia. He is bed ridden with total loss of sensation below the arm pit level. Sensation loss in Lower Limbs, loss in lower abdomen. He was operated and plates put from D3 to D7 for Spinal support at Gurgaon (NCR). Can someone help to advice.
Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes widespread body pain along with sleep deficits, memory loss, mood problems and fatigue. Symptoms may be triggered after a surgery, physical trauma, infection, or stress. Women are much more vulnerable to this disease than men. Many people affected with fibromyalgia may have suffered from headaches, backaches, depression, anxiety, tension, temporomandibular joint disorders and irritable bowel syndrome.
Most of these patients have undergone multiple consultation with various doctors and undergone many tests, but no diagnosis could be made. These patients are often ignored by doctors and family members as always "complaining of pain".
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
- Extensive Pain: Pain related to fibromyalgia is often depicted as a dull pain that lasts for at least three months. Pain can involve any body part like back,neck, chest, arms, legs. Patients have pain in multiple areas of body and painful areas change over time.
- Fatigue: Patients afflicted with this disorder feel tired even after sleep. Such people are reported to sleep for longer hours than normal people, but their sleep often gets disrupted due to sleep apnoea and restless leg syndrome.
- Cognitive Difficulties: These patients find it difficult to concentrate at work and also suffer from memory deficits in daily activities.
Diagnosis of fibromyalgia There are no specific test to diagnose fibromyalgia. Diagnosis is made by a doctor specialised in Pain Medicine using clinical methods based on symptoms and examination. Blood tests like Haemogram, Thyroid function test, RA Factor, ESR are done to rule out other diseases which can cause similar symptoms.
Treatment of fibromyalgia
- First step in treating these patients is to accept their problem and discuss with patient and family members regarding the presence of such disease entity.
- Lifestyle changes like active involvement in cardiovascular exercises, swimming, yoga, meditation are important to control symptoms.
- Conventional painkillers do not work in these patients. They requires special medications prescribed by a pain specialist for control of symptoms.
- Counselling of patient is beneficial for associated depression. Sometimes these patients need interventions/injections.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!