Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Chemical Peels Treatment
Chin Reduction Treatment
Treatment of Mohs Micrographic Surgery
Nail Surgery Procedures
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Vampire Face Lift Procedures
Asthma Management Program
Ayurvedic Massage Treatment
Hair Restoration Techniques
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Kerala Massage Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. ShashiYour feedback matters!
Involuntary contractions of the diaphragm muscle, located at the base of the lungs, causes hiccups. Such spasms cause the sudden, quick closure of the vocal cords, during air inhalation, causing you to gasp with the characteristic ‘hic’ sound. Hiccupping is an uncontrolled reflex action, often triggered for no apparent reason.
They occur frequently and are more common in newborns and infants. A hiccupping bout generally continues for a few minutes and subsides on its own. These spasms generally occur in a constant rhythmic pattern. They are often set off by anything that creates a pressure on or around the diaphragm. These include:
- Eating too fast or because of the speedy swallowing of food
- Consumption of exceptionally hot and spicy foods
- Consumption of aerated fizzy beverages
- Lack of sleep, stress and exhaustion
- Excess consumption of Alcohol
- Intake of certain medications
How problematic can they be?
In most cases, hiccups stop within a short period of time. Persistent hiccups however, keep occurring for over 48 hours and some continue for over a month, which are also medically termed as Intractable Hiccups. Medical attention is required when hiccups start interfering with sleeping or eating patterns, cause intense breathing difficulty and vomiting. Relentless hiccupping can be painful and extremely tiring. It creates discomfort in the upper abdominal region, and hinders normal routine.
Home remedies for it
Hiccups are generally not serious and most often resolved by simple home remedies. Some of these home remedies include quickly drinking a glass of water, holding your breath for a while or evenly breathing into a paper bag.
Persistent hiccups, that occur at frequent intervals and continue for weeks and months could, however, be indicative of an underlying serious health condition. Therefore, you must visit a doctor if your hiccups do not subside easily.
Incessant hiccups could be symptoms of any type of liver or abdominal disease or lung disease such as pneumonia. Strokes, brain tumours and certain nervous disorders may also cause hiccups; as such disorders create a disturbance in the functioning of the diaphragm.
In case of painful, frequent hiccups, the physician may prescribe you some medications. These may include certain types of muscle relaxants, sedatives, analgesics or any other kind of stimulant that can help in providing a remedy.
How can you ‘prevent’ it?
The onset of a bout of hiccups, is mostly self induced, involuntary spasms, thus cannot often be predicted or prevented. However, certain precautions may be taken to avoid recurrence. Abstinence from smoking, controlled drinking, not gulping down food too fast are only a few ways that control the frequency of hiccups. However, it is always advisable to get yourself examined by a medical practitioner in case of a prolonged spell of hiccups.
I am losing hair past 5years back almost half of the hair is gone please tell me how to regrowth the hair quickly. I am 29years old male only.
I am facing a mental disorder. I can not share this freely with my family members. Its like a panic disorder. whenever I see people, friends, or my family member talking among themselves and I am not there, I always they are saying something negative about me. I can not tell this to anybody. Please help. I practice meditation as well. But not result.
I have stomach pain and gastric problem. It usually start after meal. Please suggest any home remedy.
I am 25 yrs old female, active in sex n also protected sex. But white discharge is too much on the 5th day of the periods when gets over i start with white discharge which also smells very fishy. Please help.
I am a 35 year male suffering from chronic renal stone problem. I have twice removed the stone from ureters via URS but still it's recurring back yearly. What's your opinion about my problem.
I am 22 years old female and unmarried. I was thin. 2 years back I started gaining weight and got stretch marks around my lower body parts. My height is 5.5" and I am now nearly 46 kg. I am now maintaining a constant health. But I want to gain weight too. The main problem is previously remain stretch marks and also always there are some new stretch marks arising in my thigh area though I am maintaining a constant health. So please guide.
Whenever I wash or squeeze clothes, my hands finger's middle joint gets swelled and pain. Another thing sometimes gets swelling on wrist and elbow portion. It also pains too much. Can you clear me as Dr. Said it is rheumatism. But symptoms are bit different. Any time any joint starts paining. Unable to get treatment, as allopathy medicine does are high with steroids.
Dear sir 47yrs old doctors diagnosed prostate taking medicine regularly for last 15 days medicine prescribe ed uni max for one month one tab and syrup nucouli but still burning sensation and have to put lot of pressure while urinating still not well worried pls advise regularly in touch Please if advice some additional medicine in it and food to be taken.
Sir my diagnosed condition is not good. Sometime I feel little pain in my stomach what I do please tell me sir.
Hy. In loosing weight. Drink water is before meal or after to loose much. What is best for drink water after or before meal.
having prob in relationship. Family prob. Kind of frustrated. I am not able to sleep at all. During sleep I always tend to wake up in the middle many times. Feels like there is forever headache.
There is no gap between my teeth. But still it getting protruded i felt .Wen i consulted dentist the told me ,my gum bone is growing .Is there any way to treat it without a surgery?
Dear Dr. My wife 28 year old have a problem in her lips, her lips always blinking and like a burning in corner. Whenever she eating food a little bit spicy feel not good.
I am very weak. My weight does not increases. My weight is 42 kg and height is 5 feet approx and age is 18 years. Please tell me what to do.
For a married couple, having a child is the next step to completing the family picture. However, for various reasons, some attributed to the male and some to the female, this picture remains incomplete.
Talking to a doctor is one of the best starting points. There could be deep-rooted causes for this issue, and homeopathy aims in treating the root cause and not just infertility. A good homeopath will ask you numerous questions to find out associated symptoms, family history, etc., and then arrive at a remedy that would work best for you. This is a highly customised therapy and so self-medication based on a friend or family member’s recommendation is best avoided.
Infertility in females is often caused by the following reasons:
- Irregular menstruation
- Hormonal imbalance
- Advancing age
- Emotional stress
- Excessive smoking
- Alcohol consumption
- Sexually transmitted diseases (Chlamydia, gonorrhoea)
- Structural abnormalities in the pelvic area including fibroids, pelvic adhesions, blocked fallopian tubes, etc.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Thyroid disorders
With more and more women coming out in the open to discuss, researchers have started working towards identifying the problem and working towards the treatment. The success rate of homeopathy in treating infertility is also on the rise. As with any medical condition, homeopathy treats not just the problem or symptom at hand, but the person holistically. Read on to know some of the common homeopathic remedies, but make sure you have a detailed discussion with doctor to identify what would work best for you. Self-medication is best avoided.
- In women with reduced sexual drive, Agnus and Sepia are widely used. The vaginal is extremely dry which could be painful during sex. There is also a bearing down sensation of the uterus in these women.
- In women with reduced menstruation, Pulsatilla and Sepia are widely used. The periods are never on the expected date, and when they occur, the flow is quite scanty and suppressed. Pulsatilla is also used when ovarian cysts are present. Sepia is useful in women that are prone to miscarriages.
- In women with excessive menstruation, Calcarea and Aletris are widely used. The periods happen before time, is too long with profuse bleeding. This excessive bleeding also causes anaemia, weakness, and fatigue. These women might also have frequent abortions.
- In women who have experienced a miscarriage in their third month earlier, with uterine and ovarian inflammation, Sabina is used.
- In women who are not able to retain sperms, Natrum carb is useful. There could be an offensive smelling vaginal discharge which is also very irritating and itching.
These are just some of the common remedies, but there are more, and each patient would require different therapy based on associated symptoms.
4 Types of irregular periods and their causes
Menstruation is a cyclical process when at a certain time of the month, the lining of the uterus is shed and vaginal bleeding occurs. Sometimes there can be abnormalities in this cycle. Irregular periods in women are abnormal variations in the length, volume, duration and quality of menstrual cycle. Irregular periods aren't uncommon among menstruating women.
Abnormalities in periods can be of the following nature:
- Varying time between successive periods
- Loss of more or less blood than usual
- Varying length of your periods
Based on these categorizations, the different types of periods are:
1. Irregular menstrual bleeding - Irregular menstrual bleeding is characterized by bleeding that takes place for more than 20 days in a solitary cycle, which can lengthen over a period of a year.
2. Absent menstrual bleeding - In this type of menstrual bleeding, a woman does not get her period at all within a span of 90 days.
3. Heavy menstrual bleeding - This involves excessive blood loss that may intervene with a woman's physical, psychological and social quality of life.
4. Heavy and prolonged menstrual bleeding - This is less common than heavy menstrual bleeding and is different from in terms of duration. A different type of therapy is required to treat the condition as it is more severe in nature.
5. Light menstrual bleeding - Light menstrual bleeding is characterized by less blood loss than usual.
Irregular periods can be caused due to several reasons. Some of them are:
- Switching from one birth control pill to another or taking certain medication
- Excessive exercising
- Breastfeeding or pregnancy
- Polycystic ovary disease (PCOS)
- Uterine fibroids
- Getting an IUD (intrauterine device)
- Gradual thickening of uterine lining or the development of polyps on the uterine lining
- Scarring of the lining of the uterus can also be a possible cause
Changes in the body's level of hormones can also disrupt a woman's periods. Estrogen and progesterone are the chief hormones that play a crucial part in the menstrual cycle and influence the flow as well, thereby giving rise to abnormalities if their balance is disturbed.
When it comes to treating irregular periods, modifying your lifestyle, treating the underlying issue behind an irregular cycle, changing your birth control pills (if that is the cause), opting for hormone therapy or even surgery are viable treatment options.
Related Tip: Effective Ways to Ease Heavy Bleeding During Periods
Neck stiffness is common and can be uncomfortable enough to hamper day to day life. Ten easy steps can prevent neck pain.
Following are the 10 steps:
Don?t stay in one position for too long
Keep the computer monitor at eye level.
Use the hands-free function of the phone or wear a headset.
Prop your touch-screen tablet or the ipad on a pillow so that it sits at a 45� angle, instead of lying flat on your lap.
Keep your prescription up to date if you wear glasses to prevent leaning your head back to see better.
Don?t use too many pillows as it can stifle your neck?s range of motion.
Before you move a big wardrobe across the room, consider what it might do to your neck and back, and ask for help.
Call your doctor if neck pain is associated with radiating pain, weakness, or numbness of an arm or leg.
Also call the doctor if you have fever or weight loss associated with your neck pain, or severe pain.