Find numerous Neurosurgeons in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Spinal Fusion Surgery
Accident Injuries Treatment
Head And Neck Cancer Surgeries
Anterior Segment Surgery
Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery
Brain Suite Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Cancer Pain Management
Column Traumatology Procedure
Csf Rhinorrhoea Repair Procedure
Decompression Microvascular Surgery
Deep Brain Stimulation Procedure
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Submit a review for Dr. Sharan SrinivasanYour feedback matters!
Whenever I feel hungry and do not get the food, I start shivering. Even after having the food my body shivers for quite some time. It takes half an hour to be normal. Why it happens & what precautions I need to take?
What is spinal stenosis: The narrowing of the gaps in the spine or the backbone is called as spinal stenosis. This leads to pressure on the nerves and the spinal cord. 5% of cases of spinal stenosis are seen in the low back of the lumbar spine. In some cases the narrowing of the spine leads to the compressing of the nerve root, which leads to pain in the leg.
Causes of spinal stenosis: It can be caused by aging, arthritis, trauma to the spine, spondylolisthesis and tumor of the spine
Symptoms of spinal stenosis: There is constant pain in the back and legs as stenosis pinches the nerve responsible for sensation and muscle power. Other symptoms are numbness and tingling in the legs, frequent falling and pain while walking.
Treatment of spinal stenosis:
- A routine program with exercises and physical therapy are the best treatment for spinal stenosis. The exercises are not a complete cure but they are beneficial in keeping the patient active. A physical therapy can be supervised and once the period of the same is over people easily transition to the exercise program. The key for exercise is starting slowly in order to build strength.
- Generally, the patients are counseled not to perform strenuous activities as that might worsen the symptoms of spinal stenosis. In case of lumbar stenosis, patients find it comfortable when they are flexed forward. The doctor might recommend walking while being bent over and leaning when using a walker if not walking upright; sitting in recliners is also recommended instead of straight back chairs.
- Injections of cortisone are usually given in the epidural space. This is believed to relieve the symptoms of spinal stenosis temporarily. Though there have been studies which question the use of these injections as they lead to the risk of osteoporosis related fractures. This is still being pondered over by the doctors as a suitable treatment option as it has its own benefits and risks.
- Medications such as the anti inflammatory medicines like ibuprofen or aspirin are helpful in controlling the symptoms of spinal stenosis. Narcotic drugs might also prove to be helpful if used with care and for a short while. This is helpful for severe pain related to the nerves. Muscle relaxants like gabapentins might also be recommended. In some case antidepressants might also be given to provide relief from pain.
Though side effects are a concern when using these medications and the patient should let the doctor knows about their allergies.
Slip disk is a condition of the spinal column which consists of a stack of vertebras from the cervical, thoracic and the lumbar spine.The bones of the spine are cushioned by disks that are present to absorb shocks. Trauma to the spine may cause the disk to bulge or be ruptured. This may lead to pain in the neck and the back.
Causes of slip disk
Slip disk is caused when the jelly like substance present in the disks bulges out. The damaged disk thus puts pressure on the adjacent nerve causing excruciating pain. The various causes of a slipped disk are:
1. Incorrect form during exercise: If you are into weight lifting, it is important that you use proper form during exercising. Moves like barbell squat and deadlifts can put pressure on the spine and lead to disk problems, if not done correctly. Make sure you work on your core strength and keep your lower back straight while exercising.
2. Smoking: Smoking causes the disks to lose their flexibility and thus, increases the risk of slipped disk.
3. Ageing: Ageing decreases the content of water in the spine, thus leading to inflexibility.
The symptoms of slip disk are:
1. Pain on one side of the body that tends to aggravate over time
2. Activities such as sitting and coughing may lead to pressure on the spine causing pain
3. Your range of motion on certain movements may be restricted
4. Pain in the neck while moving it
5. Numbness in the shoulder and the neck region
6. You may experience tingling sensations in the genitals, hips and the legs
7. You may have muscles spasms which lead to sudden contraction of the muscles
8. It may also lead to partial paralysis of the lower body
1. If you are overweight, try to reduce weight and then focus on maintaining healthy weight levels
2. Maintain proper posture while sitting or standing
3. Exercise on a regular basis to build strength and keep your joints healthy
4. Don't remain in seated position for an extended period of time. Take small breaks in between to stretch
My father has tremors in hands since last three months. Consulted general physician he told it may be early stage of parkinson. Also suggested to take mri scan. But I have few doubts over these that all tremors r linked to parkinson else what r the other causes for tremors thank you.
There is numbness in my both feet. Used injections and tabs methley cobala predominantly. Little effect for some days but again complete numbness. Please. Solve.
I am suffering from epilepsy and using encorate chrono 500 (2) . What shall I do to cure this disease. Also I am gaining weight and have hairfall.
Good morning Sir, Can you Explain me what are the symptoms for Malaria, Tuberculosis. And what to you mean by medullablastoma. Can you please explain what are the symptoms for medulla blastoma.
Nerves Pulling reason for that. Is Dates advisable for all ages / sugar patients? I understand dates contain Iron. So its good for all. Explain me.
I HAVE SEVERE MIGRAINE SINCE LAST 2 years and I am suffering severely. Please suggest me medicines that can heal me. I have severe nausea feeling when I get migraine attacks.
I have brain seizure started after an accident at night six years back. My treatment is going on in deen dayal hospital. I take three eptoin at night & valparin 500 mg in morning and evening. I receive strokes sometimes during sleep even after taking medicine s. I have memory loss also & lack of understanding.
Is there any treatment for sleep apnea and snoring in any system of medicines which is effective with out much expense.
A neurological disease that occurs mostly on one side of the head, migraine is a severe headache that is characterised by a variety of symptoms, ranging from nausea and disturbed vision to sensitivity to light. Since the triggers of a migraine are many, it can be difficult to identify the exact cause of your pulsating headache.
Here are some of the common stimulants associated with migraine:
1. Fasting: Not taking proper meals, insufficient liquid intake and fasting can be a major trigger towards headaches and migraine. It could be associated to lowered blood glucose levels. Skipping meals or fasting must be completely avoided.
2. Sleep: Sleep can also be a trigger factor as well as a preventive factor for migraines. You can suffer from a migraine attack if you sleep too little or too much. Migraine caused by sleep problems usually arises when the brain’s serotonin (a compound that constricts blood vessels) production experiences a fluctuation, and there is a reduction of dopamine (a neurotransmitter that helps in the transmission of signals) levels. While the former neurotransmitter is necessary for regulating your sleep cycle, the latter is vital for helping you to focus. Several studies reveal that developing good sleep habits can bring about a reduction in the intensity as well as number of migraine attacks.
3. Stress: Another common migraine trigger is stress. Emotions like sadness, worry, shock and anxiety can cause migraine attacks as they bring about the release of migraine causing brain chemicals. At the same time, it is also commonly reported that a migraine may occur right after a stressful period, usually during the weekends, and is therefore called a weekend headache.
4. Food: Several studies show that migraines triggered by food occur in 10% of the world population. Many of the food items that cause a migraine attack contain a substance called tyramine or phenylethylamine. This substance can cause the nerve cells of your brain to release a chemical called norepinephrine. The increased quantity of the two (tyramine and norepinephrine) can lead to migraine attacks. These amino acids are present in aged cheese, chocolates, citrus fruits, nuts and soy foods.
5. Caffeine: Too much caffeine consumption can cause you to have a migraine attack. Ideally, you shouldn’t have more than 2 cups of caffeinated drinks (like coffee, tea and cola) a day to prevent yourself from experiencing migraine headaches.
6. Computer screens/ Sunlight: Sitting in front of your computer screen for a long time can trigger a migraine attack. It happens as muscle tension builds up around your head, neck and shoulder areas.To prevent the problem from occurring, you need to take regular breaks, use good lighting, and anti-glare screens.
7. Alcohol: Certain alcohols like red wine, beer, vermouth, and sherry contain substances such as tyramine, phenylethylamine, histamine, sulphites, and flavonoid phenols, all of which have been known to trigger migraine attacks. Red wine is considered to be the worst trigger, and you should avoid it if you suffer from migraine.
8. Exercise: Like sleep, even exercise has been reported to cause as well as prevent migraines. Exercising in a moderate and regular manner is known to prevent the onset of migraine.By doing so, you end up stimulating the release of the body’s natural painkillers, while improving your overall health. On the other hand, by exercising vigorously and without prior planning, your body’s demand for oxygen increases significantly, triggering an attack.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.