Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Submit a review for Dr. ShankarlingaiahYour feedback matters!
Depression is a clinical, mental, and emotional condition that may give rise to feelings of hopelessness and chronic sadness. It slows down the way people process everyday activities and leads the patient to a sense of constant gloom and doom. It is a disabling mental condition as per WHO, and may be caused due to reasons like genetics, changes in the balance of hormones, stress, grief, trauma and prolonged, chronic physical ailments. Depression is also connected with food and nutrition. Do you want to know how?
Read on to see the three ways in which food and depression are connected.
- Severity and Duration: Depression is a mental illness that signifies an imbalance in the hormones and the emotional faculties in the brain. Nutrition is the fuel that keeps the brain and body in prime working condition. When a depressive state sets in or becomes emotionally rooted, then nutritious eating and a proper diet take a back seat as the patient succumbs to a state where he or she is not concerned about the food intake. As a result, the brain and hormonal balance get further affected. This can have an adverse effect on the severity and the duration of the depressive mode, which makes it all a vicious cycle of sorts. Poor appetite, not having proper meals, skipping meals, eating junk, avoiding social settings where food will be served, and even emotional eating are all outcomes of depression too.
- Eating Disorders: Many patients who have eating disorders often experience deep rooted and chronic depression. Since despondency and hopelessness are the main characteristics of depressive behaviour, the outcome is that the patient tries to behave in a way that seeks approval. And in all this, the patient usually thinks that he or she is not 'good enough'. In such a scenario, the patient may start trying out fad diets and eventually fall prey to eating disorders like Bulimia that make the patient overeat and then vomit. These eating disorders usually come with phases of binge eating, throwing up, starving and then repeating the cycle again. Eating in secrecy is also a symptom of this condition.
- Nutrition to Fight Depression: Nutrition and proper food intake can build a sense of resilience by first of all improving the overall physical condition of the patient. This can take care of a lot of angst even as the minerals and vitamins travel to the brain for better functioning in the long run.
Ensure that you eat right as a part of your therapy for depression. This is as good as taking your medication on time.
Hi, My wife is pregnant (35 Weeks) and in urine test Bacteria is shown positive. Can you please let us know "it is dangerous to our baby?
I have itch on my back seat. I am getting full itching with my nails so blood is coming out. And the area of skin color changed to black. Please suggest me an ointment to apply to reduce marks and itch.
I have migraine from two years. It is very pain ful for me any medicine in not benefit to me pls help.
My penis is 5 inch when erect so certain poses does not happen successfully and satisfactory. My wife does not enjoy a blowjob. I have a very muscular well built body. Height of 5 feet 9 inch. So it embarrassing. Like if i wanna enjoy riding well she cant as even the girth is only about two and half fingers. She prefers thick and long penis. How to manage?
I am 25 year old unmarried I have a partner, my problem is that PREMATURE EJACULATION. PLEASE GUIDE ME WHAT TO DO.
Is it normal to masturbate and I feel exhausted the next day after masturbation am I week? Which food is good for semen production?
I am 27 year old. From one year I am facings a loose motion but now I am well but I feel very week facing sex problems, small penis size pls tell me solution.
I'm suffering from bipolar disorder and my hands and face are vibrate every time and what is solution give me advice.
A sprain refers to a break or a tear in any of the ligaments of your body. A ligament is a band consisting of tissues that connect the bones at any given joint in our body.
A strain on the other hand refers to a tear or a break in the entire muscle itself or a tendon (the band of tissues that connect the muscle to the bones).
Occurrence: Sprains usually take place due to unforeseen incidents like falls, accidents, and such other things that forces the body part to go out of its normal position. The most common types of sprains that people suffer from are ankle sprains which affect about 25,000 people every day on a worldwide basis.Strains usually happen when you twist a whole muscle or a tendon. This condition most commonly occurs in cases of sportspersons who are engaged in contact sports like hockey, football, rugby, and such others.
Symptoms :The identification signs of sprains and strains are mostly very similar, which are listed below:
- Pain and discomfort in the joints
- Visible swelling or inflammation seen on the joints
- Bruising of the affected area
- Tenderness and softness of the affected joint
The overall intensity of the above mentioned symptoms might differ basis on the severity of the condition that is directly proportional to the nature of injury that you have faced. Some pains are so light that it may not affect your daily routine at all, whereas some pains are so intense, that you might not be able to move your affected joint at all.
Treatment: Some of the common methods to cure a sprain or a strain are listed below:
- Rest the area which is affected
- Apply ice bags or cold compress to soothe the pain
- Compress the affected joint using a compression tape
- Place the affected joint on an elevated area to speed up the healing process