Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Oncologists in India. You will find Oncologists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Sanjay DeshmukhYour feedback matters!
What are the symptoms of blood cancer and what are the precautions to prevent yourself from it and its treatment.
I have noticed some tumours on my body (on my hand and my back) which are not properly visible, but I can feel that when I touch on that. I went to a surgery Dr. and he said that it's a cholesterol thing and no need to worry and if I want I can remove it by a surgery. Those tumours are neither aching nor growing. I happened to read an article which says tumours like this are symptoms of cancer. What am I supposed to do now? Dr. says its cholesterol. But I'm still scared.
I have a symptoms of ovarian cancer, but I am not sure, that it's cancer or what? Can you tell me the test? For being sure about this.
I am Aslam aged 60. My prostate is enlarged in size and measures 4.1*4.4*3.9cm vol 36.9cc Impression: prostatomegaly bilateral large simple renal cortical cyst what should I do?
Today is the WORLD CANCER DAY and the theme of this year is "We can, I can".... Yes we all can battle the cancer. But the irony is that majority of women ignore early signs and symptoms of cancer and do not consult doctors in time. And even some of these cancers are preventable if proper action is taken.
- What will you do if you feel gaseous distension (gas, bloating), acidity, constipation, change in bowel habit, decreased appetite, feeling of full stomach, weight loss and abdominal swellling? Majority of the women ignore these symptoms and take antacids before it is too late. But these are often symptoms of early ovarian cancer and thus if you ignore these symptoms, you are harming yourself. Ovarian cancer is difficult to treat if detected at late stage. But in early stage, it is curable. So, don't ignore these symptoms.
- Who are the women at risk of ovarian cancer- women who are not having baby, who themselves or close relatives (sister/ mother/ daughter) had history of cancer in breast/ ovary/ bowel/ uterus etc. But some women are at lower risk like those using Oral Contraceptive Pills- OCP(- the birth control pills can reduce the risk by 50%) and who had tubal ligation (permanent family lanning methods).
- If you had such risk factors, you must not avoid any such above mentioned symptoms. Rather you should consult gynecologist early. Ovarian cancer can be detected by ultrasound, CT scan, some blood tests (CA 125) and some cases biopsy may be needed. And remember, majority of the ovarian diseases are NOT cancer but you must be sure that it's not cancer causing your problem.
- If ovarian cancer is diagnosed, the treatment is surgery (to be done by expert personnels) and most of the women need chemotherapy.
- Ovarian cancer is common in elderly women but it can afect younger women also. So, all the women should take care of the above mentioned symptoms
Cancer of Cervix: Cervix is the mouth of the terus. In our country, this is the COMMONEST CANCER in GYNAECOLOGY affecting women whereas it is uncommon in the Western countries. The irony is that women die of this disease whereas it is TOTALLY PREVENTABLE
- It is caused by a virus (human papilloma virus- HPV) that is sexually transmitted (so afects sexually active women). But it has a peculiar feature that before cancer actually occurs, there is precancerous stage- when the cells of cervix shows some changes that we can detect and treat. So, if women regularly consult doctor (WHEN THEY DO NOT HAVE PROBLEMS), we can check if she is at risk of cervical cancer or not, by some simple tests (Pap Smear, HPV testing etc). Is such changes are found (that is not cancer) we can treat her so that she does not develop cancer. These method of detection, before disease occurs or before an individual feels that she is having disease, is called "Screening".
- Another method of preventing it is vaccination of HPV, that should be given to the adolescent girls before they become sexually active. Even it can be given in older women (who are sexually active), although the response is somehow lower than if given at early age. But vaccination is not alternative to screening. SO, both screening and vaccination should be done to prevent this cancer.
- Even if detected at early stage, it is totally curable. So, women should not ignore symptoms of excessive vaginal discharge (remember, all excessive discharges are not due to cancer), abnormal or heavy menstrual bleeding, bleeding occuring unredictably in between menstrualtion, bleeding after intercourse etc.
- It is treated by surgery and some cases may need radiation also.
Cancer of uterus
- Cancer of uterus is common after 50 years of age (although can occur at early years also). It is the commonest gynaecological cancer in the Western World. It mainly occurs in women who are obese (excessive weight), having diabetes or hypertension (high blood pressure), not having any baby, who are having personal or family history of cancer in uterus/ breast/ ovary/ bowel.
- It can be prevented by taking OCP (birth control pils) and controlling weight. In many cases, it is also preceeded by some precancerous changes (hyperplasia) that can be detected by ultrasonography and if needed small biopsy procedure.
- The common symptoms are abnormal heavy bleeding and bleeding after attaining menopause (after totall stoppage of menses). So, any abnormal menstrual bleeding must be properly investigated.
- It is usually well curable if treated early- by surgery and in few cases, may need radiation, chemo or hormone therapy.
Cancer of Vulva: The external genitalia of female is known as vulva. Cancer in vulva is relatively uncommon but still it can happen, especially those who are having diabetes, HIV positive or those having poor hygiene.
- Never ignore any symptoms of excessive itching in your private parts. It may be the early symptom of vulval cancer. Some cases, patient may have ulcer or tumour or bleeding.
- It can be detected easily by examination by doctor and then taking biopsy. It is treated well with surgery and some cases, radiation may be needed.
Sumary: Majority of the gynaecological cacers are preventable. They can be diagnosed early if women consult doctor at early stage. Majority of them respond to treatment.
Respected sir, I would like to the best chemotherapy for the lungs cancer. Kindly suggest the side effect of the chemotherapy. And which hospital we need to refer.
I'm using 2% hydroquinone for past two years, so far I'm happy with the results but I'm worried by people saying hydroquinone can cause skin cancer, can you please help me?
I am 19 years old. I am obsessed with female breast. My mind always look at them. I want to get rid of my mind habit. I do not know how it has developed over the years. Twice in week I have an irresistible urge to check net about females breast. I know its a milk feeding organ which woman develop during stages of puberty. My obsession has become a distraction. And I am unable to concentrate. What would happen if I get married and gave birth to a female child. What will the child think of his dad. How to treat it, please tell.
One of my relative suffering from tongue cancer. Please Tell me the treatment. And I want to know whether it should be cure cancer is of second stage.
Hello my mother 45 years has stage 3b small cell carcinoma cervix and has been injected with cisplatin n etoposide in first line after 6 cycles which there was 100% response after which she went through internal and external radio therapy. Not 2 months later the cancer reoccurred. After which she received good dose of pacitaxel and ireantecon on 1st and 8th day in her second line which proved out to be ineffective and the disease progressed. Now currently she is having her 3rd line with gemcitabine and another drug (don't know it's name) which aren't looking good either. There is a new lymph node visible on her throat which is getting bigger. I want to know if there is anything we can do about this type of cancer? Any experimental drugs which are proving to be effective? Or what else can we do for that cist on her throat. Or what other drugs can help our case. Thank you.
As per biopsy report prostate gland increased and may cause prostate cancer in future. Whether this disease can be cured by ayurvedic medicines/treatment? Do not want to take allopathy medicines.
My father is suffering from oesophagial cancer, now he is unable to eat or even drink anything since 25 days. What should we do, we r really worried, any suggestions will help, thnku in advance,
Over 95 percent of malignancies arising in the prostate are adenocarcinoma. The remaining types include urothelial carcinoma, basal cell carcinoma, small cell carcinoma, lymphoma and sarcomas.
Core needle biopsy of the prostate is used to determine whether or not cancer is present in men with an elevated serum PSA level and/or an abnormal digital rectal examination.
The recommendation is to take multiple core biopsies under transrectal ultrasound guidance.
Primary diagnosis of prostate cancer by using fine needle aspiration is not acceptable.
When positive, the combined Gleason score, based upon architectural features of the prostate cancer cells, should be reported because it correlates closely with clinical behavior and has been incorporated into the tumor node metastasis (TNM) prognostic group staging system.
One should also report number of positive cores, the percentage (or length) of cancer in the positive core, the presence of perineural invasion or extraprostatic extension, and the presence of histologic types other than conventional adenocarcinoma.
The accuracy of pathological diagnosis of prostate cancer can be improved by using immunohistochemistry markers.