Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Sandip DeshpandeYour feedback matters!
People who are constantly troubled by the fear of physical illness or who excessively feel worried about their health are commonly referred to as hypochondriacs. This phenomenon is called somatic symptom disorder, also known as hypochondria or hypochondriasis. Despite the evidence of medical tests proving that they do not suffer from any disease or illness, hypochondriacs are perpetually worried about their health. This is mainly because of their misinterpretation of minor health problems or normal body functions as something serious. Somatic symptom disorder affects both males and females equally, and it usually happens during early adulthood.
Causes and symptoms: Their complaints may range from minor issues like pain or stress to more serious problems concerning breathing or headaches. Hypochondriacs rarely try to deceive themselves, and they genuinely believe that they have health problems, however unrealistic their beliefs might be. The exact causes are indefinite and unknown, but they generally arise from considerable physical or sexual abuse in their early childhood. Moreover, parents or close relatives suffering from the disorder may also induce such fears into the child, who would eventually behave in a similar pattern later in adulthood.
Diagnosis: Diagnosis of the disorder can be very troublesome, mainly because of their inherent conviction that they are suffering from physical illness. However, the disorder can be treated through proper supportive care or psychotherapy. Antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs are also used sometimes.
Dealing with the disorder: Hypochondria can often lead to a chronic condition, which can be long lasting. Although there are no definite ways of preventing it, there is one method to reduce the intensity of the symptoms and help patients cope up with the disorder. It is by providing them a supportive and understanding environment, one in which they can fight the distress and trouble that comes along with the somatic symptom disorder. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a psychiatrist and ask a free question.
I am having dis realizations and it feels like I am in a dream. Please help me to get out of this disease.
I am taking depran 10 since last 14 years now this medicine is not working properly I am taking this med due to depression know what will I do?
Respected Sir It is said that depression can not be cured by medicine and since my wife's weight 100 kg very high she refuses to take allopathy medicine she has lost interest in me earlier she was so loving and caring for me now not interested to see my face watches other young males like loose charactered woman please guide.
How to feel fresh and free when we have load of work with stress and strain ?Which small but important things like eating foodstuffs, listening music or any other thing can keep us fresh to forget stress and strain?
I've always had underlying depression issues. Years fine on Prozac. Then year or so ago I aware not sleeping, anxiety, anger, loss interest in everything.
I am 22year old. I am suffering from headache before two year. I think its a symptom of ocd. Because when I go to doctor then she said its a ocd problem. So I take medicine but I am no good. What can I do.
I get severe body pain after doing any physical work for more than 30 minutes, after which I need to take Ibugesic plus anti inflammation tablets n proper rest for the pain to settle down. Kindly advise a permanent cure. Thanks in advance.
Im 21. N im smoker. N I wanna end of smoking. Because I lose my stamina. N im addict of smoking. Bt I want forget this. So how can I possible?
I keep forgetting small small things . I have very short term memory . Is it because of my sleep cycle ?
Mere age 34 sal he. Me mere papa k sath rehta hun. But hmare beech happy atmosphere nahi he ham kisi na kisi bat par dispute krte rehte he. Meri mother k death ho Jane k bad. Me bht uncomfortable hu. 3 sal se papa k sath life bht pressure dene vali ho gye he . Is baat ka mere future par kya effect hoga or mujhe kya precaution karne chajiye. Please help me.
Why relapse occur after treatment depression. Is it possible to prevent from relapse. Can I cure permanently.
I have been suffering from anxiety, helpless, lack of constipation. Fear sleepiness very difficult to work and less satisfaction feel alone since 10 years what is solution?
Hi, I need your help. All of sudden I started burping alot and trapped burps. If I eat or drinking I need to burp after that if I don't burp after eating or drinking I can't stay normal I think I will die. I have this phobia am scared. I thought I have some stomach issue did all test but everything is normal doctor told me its all up in my mind but now as time is passing am scared of eating and drinking I have fear if I don't burp I will die and yes I get panic attack and it remains until n unless I get burp. please help me its driving me crazy I don't eat or drink.. Am loosing weight.. Plzz help.
While many of us may associate healthy food with a healthy body, it is also true that healthy food can support a healthy brain. As we start to grow old, there is something known as oxidative damage which can lead to memory impairment and general brain decline. A healthy brain is one where the brain function is at an appropriate level and the aging process has been pushed back in terms of stellar memory and information processing. According to Ayurveda and other arms of medical science, there are a number of super foods that can help in this process. Here is a list of five foods that can lead to a healthier brain.
- Brahmi: This is one of the most commonly used Ayurvedic herbs. It can be used for many ailments and it also prescribed as a brain tonic for stronger memory. Besides making the memory clear and sharp, this ingredient can improve the brain’s grasping power and the mental capacity of the brain. It is also an excellent anti-anxiety agent, as per Ayurvedic science.
- Ginkgo Biloba: This herb promotes better blood circulation in the brain, which helps in improving the overall brain function. It is also a memory enhancer. This herb is used by Ayurvedic doctors for the treatment of Alzheimer’s Disease and Amnesia. It is a good medicine that can repair the damaged cells of the brain.
- Ashwagandha: This is also known as an Ayurvedic wonder herb. This herb contains many beneficial properties for the brain and the rest of the body. When it comes to the brain and its functioning, Ashwagandha is ideal for patients who are suffering from severe stress. Besides being a stress reliever, this herb can also be used to keep the brain in a calm state for better performance. It helps in improving the functioning of the brain and its complex nerves. This herb is also a good memory enhancer.
- Gotu Kola: Gotu Kola is a well-known Ayurvedic herb that can be used for protecting the nerves from damage. It protects the brain cells as well. Also, it enhances the capacity of the brain and leads to improved performance thanks to the many vital elements that it carries.
- Mulethi: This is a stress relieving herb used by Ayurvedic doctors. It improves the blood circulation in the nervous system, which gives rise to better brain function. This is a very good herb for children and students, as it is a memory booster which helps them in retaining and retrieving information. It is also a stress relieving medicine that can be used to keep the brain calm and cool even in the most challenging situation.
Hi my friend age is 22 year and he is suffering from bad thinking bad thoughts and he told me when he meet more people then his gas are started from his hole and when he is alone then he feel better and it also become his habit please doctor advice him any drug or medicine.
Hello, I am Dr Sudeshna Biswas, senior consultant Neuro Psychiatrist attached with Fortis C Doc Hospital, Nehru Place and I have my own clinic at Siya Park. Today,w e are going to discuss a very common disorder, called OCD.
What is OCD?
OCD is Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Two terms we get from this name which is Obsessive and Compulsive. So let us first know;
What is Obsession?
Obsession is persistent intrusive recurrent thoughts.
And what is compulsion?
Compulsion is an action which one does to reduce the anxiety related to this obsession.
Now, when do we call that someone has OCD?
When these symptoms of OCD occurs many times in a day or takes a lot of time and is very distressing, then the person should think that he/ she is suffering from OCD. If we talk about the age groups, it is prevalent in all age groups. Males and females are equally having this disorder. So symptoms should be known to detect the OCD.
So, the symptoms we are going to discuss under the sub headings of the OCDs. These are the types of OCDs.
- The most common type of OCD is OCD of contamination followed by washing. Under this, a person starts thinking that all the things around them are dirty and they keep on cleaning the things again and again till the time they get sure that it is cleaned.
- The second most common type of OCD is Obsession of Doubt where a person starts doubting themselves that they have not done the work properly. So he would keep checking the things whether he had done it or not. Like he might check the locks, might check the gas stoves, might check the cylinders, emails, SMS etc.
- The third type of OCD is Obsession of Thoughts. This is one of the obsessions with which we get a lot of patients. Suddenly the thought starts coming to their mind that they can harm someone or thought that someone might do something to them or something bad may happen to them. Some sexual thoughts may come to their mind which is very distressing, sexual thoughts regarding their friends, their relatives or even God or Goddess for which they feel guilty.
- Another type of OCD is Somatic Obsession. In Somatic obsession, people start thinking that something bad is happening in their body and keep on thinking about plenty of disorders which might have happened. They might keep on checking their pulse again and again, considering that their pulse is getting high
- Next type is called Symmetrical Obsession where the person starts keeping the things in very symmetrical order.
- Few more types of Obsession are there like someone might have an obsession of religiosity. In this, people start becoming very religious.
- Some more type of OCD can be where a person might question again and again the same question, or they might tell the same thing, again and again, thinking that the other person is not understanding their point of view. So, this is the Obsession of Questioning.
- The obsession of numbers where a person is obsessed with some particular number. Suppose a person is obsessed with the number 3.4 or 5. So, the person starts doing all the activities according to that number.
- One more thing which is there is hair pulling and nail-biting which can be the part of OCD.
So, these are the symptoms of OCD.
Now coming to the treatment of OCD.
The treatment of OCD is divided into 2 types.
2) Therapy- Therapy can be of few types which can be a behavioural therapy. Other types of therapies can be a group therapy, Cognitive behavioural therapy.
So at the end, I just want to tell you that please detect the symptoms as early as possible and you should detect the same in the people around you. And you should reach the professional in your nearby areas.
If you need my help, please reach to me directly by contacting me and seek up an appointment or you can contact the app Lybrate and take up an appointment.
Thank you very much.