Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Audiologists in India. You will find Audiologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Rekha
Submit a review for Dr. RekhaYour feedback matters!
Do listening by earphone affect hearing capacity. What should we have to do when water enter in our ear and we are not able to hear.
You should consider undertaking a cochlear implant in case you are experiencing hearing loss or are turning deaf. This is a small device that gets planted in your ear through a surgical procedure. It sends impulses to your auditory nerves directly, as a result of which sound signals get carried to your brain. Cochlear implants may not make you hear normally again, but help you with different sounds, and in the recognition of the different sounds around you like alarms, telephones, and door bells.
How it works?
- A cochlear implant is fit for children and adults who suffer from the sensorineural hearing loss. This condition damages the tiny hair cells in your inner ear, which is called the cochlea. Hearing becomes impaired when these get damaged.
- The device consists of two specific parts. The first part or the receiver-stimulator is placed under your skin via a surgical procedure. The other part of the device is the speech processor. It has to be worn around your neck in the form of a hearing aid.
- The external device is, however, larger in size than a usual hearing aid. The receiver gets placed under your skin, behind the ear via a small incision. It is connected to electrodes.
- This is inserted into the cochlea of your inner ear. The surgery requires a few hours to be undertaken successfully.
- The speech processor has to be placed two weeks after the surgery is undertaken. The processor can be connected to the microphone, and this can be worn around the ear.
- You can wear it on any other part of your body, based on your lifestyle and age.
Benefits of cochlear implant
The major benefits of a cochlear implant are as follows:
- You might be able to hear speech almost normally.
- You will be able to understand speech better, and will not have to depend on lip reading.
- It will be much easier and simpler for you to listen to the television and talk over the phone.
- You will be able to listen to music better.
- You may also be able to pick up various sounds around you that include soft, medium, and loud sounds.
- You will be able to control your own voice better. This makes other people understand you better.
If you are suffering from severe hearing loss, a cochlear implant may be able to change your life for the better. However, the results are not the same for all, and vary among people. It is possible for some people to benefit more from such an implant than others.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am having ear clogging problem from past 3 days, some noise from the clogged ear. How to get relief from this ?
I have used dewax solution to clean my ears. After cleaning ears they are getting closed and its dim to hear and also making my mood dim. What can I do to make them clear and clean?
I am student working on hearing aid system. I want to know the frequency ranges of sound required for a person having mild (or) moderate hairloss (deaf)
Before starting out for a walk, relax and take a deep breath and fill your lungs with fresh air which will move them into their most efficient position. After you exhale, maintain the chest in this position with shoulders down and slightly back throughout the walk.
Dr. Her auditory and BERA reports are normal. But unable to listen .normally. Hearing aids are also not prescribed to her. Please tell me what is the problem and the best treatment to cure it.
I have a continuous beep in my right ear due to which I am loosing my hearing power. Kindly help me with right treatment for improving hearing power.
The signs of hearing loss can be subtle and emerge slowly, or early signs of hearing loss can be significant and come about suddenly. Either way, there are common indications and hearing impaired signs. You should suspect hearing loss if you experience any of the signs below.
You might have hearing loss if you.
Require frequent repetition.
Have difficulty following conversations involving more than 2 people.
Think that other people sound muffled or like they're mumbling.
Have difficulty hearing in noisy situations, like conferences, restaurants, malls, or crowded meeting rooms.
Have trouble hearing children and women.
Have your tv or radio turned up to a high volume.
Answer or respond inappropriately in conversations.
Have ringing in your ears.
Read lips or more intently watch people's faces when they speak with you.
Feel stressed out from straining to hear what others are saying.
Feel annoyed at other people because you can't hear or understand them.
Feel embarrassed to meet new people or from misunderstanding what others are saying.
Feel nervous about trying to hear and understand.
Withdraw from social situations that you once enjoyed because of difficulty hearing.
Have a family history of hearing loss.
Take medications that can harm the hearing system (ototoxic drugs).
Have diabetes, heart, circulation or thyroid problems.
Have been exposed to very loud sounds over a long period or single exposure to explosive noise.