Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cervical Traction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Spinal Fusion Surgery
Treatment of Knee replacement
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Hip Resurfacing Surgery
Hip Injury Treatment
Ankle Injury Treatment
Knee Injury Treatment
Hip Pain Treatment
Ankle Pain Treatment
Knee Pain Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Joint Mobilization Procedure
Joint Replacement Surgery
Limping Child Treatment
Meniscus Injury Treatment
Pelvic Rehabilitation Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. Rathan KumarYour feedback matters!
I have a pain on left side body. Such pain can not define because it is sometime near to stomach, backside or near to chest it is uncertain location. Can you suggest me what could I have to follow.
I'm struggling with back pain from past 2 months I tried so many exercises but I didn't get the relief so please tell me the solution. As early as possible.
I am suffering from back pain For past few months. I'm just 25. Is it possible to solve this problem?
Most of us suffer from lower back pain at some point in our lives; be it from a sedentary lifestyle, spending hours at the office desk or from strenuous physical exercises. In most cases, a little bit of rest does the trick. However, if the lower back pain persists for 3-6 weeks, physiotherapy is recommended.
How does physiotherapy help?
The main purpose behind physiotherapy is reducing lower back pain and increasing muscle and bone function, so that such instances are avoided in the future. Physiotherapy is the first line of defence against lower back pain. More drastic measures such as surgery are undertaken once physiotherapy fails to do is job.
Physiotherapy is often recommended when the back pain is caused due to lifestyle factors, a minor injury like a fall or other moderate factors. For more severe back injuries, doctors recommend surgery straight away when there is no scope of performing physiotherapy.
Low-intensity back pain can be cured using a combination of heat packs, ultrasound wave therapy and Iontophoresis (using a localized current source to introduce medical ionic compounds to the body).
A physical therapy program for back pain usually has two components:
Passive physical therapy to help reduce the patient's pain to a more manageable level
Passive Physical Therapy - Modalities
The physical therapist may focus on decreasing pain with passive physical therapy (modalities). These therapies are considered passive because they are done to the patient. Examples include:
Active Physical Therapy - Back Pain Exercises
In addition to passive therapies, active physical therapy (exercise) is also necessary to rehabilitate the spine. Here are some of the common exercises for back pain:
Back Stretch: Put your hands underneath your head while lying back. Bend your knees but put your feet on the ground. Roll your legs to one side and hold them there for 10 seconds. Repeat three times for each side.
Deep Lunge: For this, you need to kneel on one knee with the other foot pointed towards the front. Lift the back knee up and hold it there for five seconds and then bring it down. Repeat this exercise three times for each side.
One Leg Stand: This is the simplest of exercises. Hold on to a wall for support while standing and face towards it. Then slowly hold one leg and bend it behind you. Hold in the same position for five seconds before bringing it down. Repeat the process three times for each leg in five second gaps.
I am college student and most of the time I spends on laptop so my back bone is not very well so what should I do?
Dr, I am 72 years old &i am having acute numbness in both my feet. I am diabetic and have undergone hip replacement surgery at fortis hospital about 5 years ago, after a fracture in the femur and surgery which did not give desired result. I developed a limp due to that and walk with shoes adjusting the shortness of one foot. My numbness is increasing gradually & I find it difficult to walk. Kindly suggest remedy if any. Thank you,
I have some kind of butt pain from last 5 days. On the first day, the pain was intense and I could not get out from my bed. Although the pain decreased, I couldn't walk after a certain distance. I'm limping from last 5 days. Sometimes I will experience a sudden pain and at other times when I walk a little far, the pain happens throughout my leg which compels me to sit down. Yesterday, I slept on the affected side of the hips and the pain increased and now I'm experiencing continuous pain. I should tell that I experienced a nasty jump in the bike because the tyres were not having enough air. What can be the reason for such pain?
Hi I am 33 weeks pregnant, from past one and half month its paining a lot near vagina. It as worse since 2 weeks a lot. M unable to shift from one side to other side when sleeping it hurts a lot unable to walk also properly. Its paining too much I don't find any pains when am sitting. It hurts a lot wen changing positions in sleep and while getting up, walking. Pls help me why is that happening?
My son has Ewing sarcoma on his left tibia,Dr will operate and remove the bone by ecrt method,now he is alright, can it will come again ?
I am 38 year old I am having problem with my knee if I sit long time in office knee start burning and pain even if I stand long time same please suggest me
I am a 28 year old guy . I use ti to drive my bike 60 km pet day I am having backache and neck pain could you suggest me best ointment.
Hello doc. i am a 30 years old women. I would like to know about my health as had gone section from my first baby just 5 months back. M getting lot of pain on my back nearly lumbar and knees too. M in lot of depression.. please suggest me in order get rid of all these.i am working women. Really difficult to carry on my daily routine..
I am 30 year old. Having back pain frequently while riding the bike. This starts while last month onwards. Inspected the bike having any shock absorber problems. But not having any problems. Is it will be because of the posture of driving? I am already having a bend at chest. The bike is only six months old. Please give a reply.
I am 40+ male, weight 90kg height 5'4" My left leg join (may be the nerve) is paining like a heart beat.
I am 65, suffer from diabetes and high bp. Fs is 168 pp is 210. I take triopil 2 and covance 25 daily. For last 5 day I have pain in both arms and my head is very heavy when I get up in the morning. What should I do?
Hello everyone, I am 27 year old and working from last 5 year in Private company. Last from more than one month I am feeling pain in my back waist on both side. It's Increasing day by day. I want office by car n job also related for seating job. No exercise doing in daily routine. Please suggest medicine and your best opinion for get relief with this. Thanks in advance.
Massage therapy helps relieve joint pain by improving circulation and soothing inflammation. In fact, several studies indicate that regular massage can improve pain, stiffness and range of motion in the affected joint.
To massage the affected area, use warm oil like coconut, olive, mustard, castor or garlic oil and apply gentle pressure while massaging.
2. Hot and Cold Compresses
Alternating hot and cold compresses can also help ease joint pain. Heat therapy helps decrease pain, increase blood flow and relax sore muscles and joints. Cold therapy reduces inflammation and numbs the areas around the affected joint.
1. Wrap both compresses in separate towels before using them. They should not be applied directly to the skin.
2. Place the hot compress on the affected area for about three minutes.
3. Remove the compress and immediately put a cold compress in its place for about one minute.
4. Repeat the process for 15 to 20 minutes a few times daily until you get relief.
Note: Do not use heat therapy if the affected area is red, hot and irritated. Do not use cold therapy if you have circulatory problems.
Fenugreek is a popular home remedy for joint pain due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis.
• Swallow one teaspoon of finely ground fenugreek seeds followed by a glass of lukewarm water. Do this daily in the morning until you get positive results.
• Alternatively, you can simply soak one teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in water overnight and eat them the next morning
Turmeric is an excellent Ayurvedic remedy for joint pain. It contains an active ingredient called curcumin with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
In a 2009 study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, researchers compared the effectiveness of this compound to ibuprofen and found that curcumin was as effective as ibuprofen for pain relief in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
• Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder and a little honey in a glass of warm milk. Drink it daily, at least for a few days.
• Another option is to take 250 to 500 mg turmeric capsules three times daily until you are satisfied with the results.
Note: Talk to your doctor before including either of these remedies in your regular routine. Turmeric may interfere with certain medications, such as blood thinners, and may worsen gallbladder problems.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar helps reduce joint pain by eliminating accumulated toxins from the joints and connective tissues. Due to its alkalizing effect, it is particularly beneficial for those suffering from arthritis. Plus, it is rich in minerals like magnesium, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.
• Mix one to three teaspoons of organic apple cider vinegar and a little honey in a cup of warm water. Drink this solution two or three times a day, preferably before meals. You can continue this simple treatment on a regular basis because, in addition to helping with joint pain, it is good for your overall health.
• You can also massage the affected area with a mixture of one tablespoon each of apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Do this daily until your joint pain is gone.
Cayenne pepper contains a compound called capsaicin with natural analgesic or pain-relieving properties. In a 2010 study published in the Journal of the Medical Association of Thailand, researchers found that applying gel containing 0.0125 percent capsaicin helped relieve mild to moderate pain in women suffering from knee osteoarthritis.
• Slightly heat one-half cup of coconut oil. Mix in two tablespoons of cayenne pepper powder. Apply it on the affected area, leave it on for 20 minutes and then rinse it off. Do this a few times a day until you get relief from the pain.
• Alternatively, you can use a capsaicin cream topically on the affected area daily.
Note: Cayenne may initially cause a burning sensation. Do not apply it on open skin or wounds.
7. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt baths facilitate easy absorption of magnesium through the skin. Joint pain is often associated with low levels of magnesium. Moreover, magnesium helps reduce inflammation and aids in detoxification of cells.
1. Mix two cups of Epsom salt in warm bath water.
2. Soak in it for about 20 minutes.
3. Repeat three times a week until you get relief from your joint pain.
Being rich in sulfur and selenium, garlic is beneficial for those suffering from arthritis and joint pain. Sulfur helps relieve joint pain and inflammation and, according to research, selenium may have an antirheumatic effect. Also, arthritic patients tend to have low levels of selenium in the blood.
• Include raw or cooked garlic in your diet. You can safely consume two or three garlic cloves daily. If you are deterred by the smell or taste of garlic, consider taking garlic supplements (follow the directions on the label).
• You can also fry two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard or sesame oil. When the garlic cloves turn black, turn off the heat and strain the oil. Allow the oil to cool until it is comfortably warm, and then massage it into the skin around affected area. Leave it on for about three hours before washing it off. Do this twice daily until you see improvement.
Ginger is an excellent natural remedy for muscle and joint pain, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties. Researchers studied its effects on osteoarthritis patients with knee pain and saw encouraging results.
• Drink ginger tea, or include fresh ginger root or dried ginger powder in your daily diet. To prepare ginger tea, cut up a small piece of ginger root, boil it in a cup of water for 10 minutes and strain it. To improve the taste, you can sweeten it with honey.
• Another option is to mix equal amounts of ginger, turmeric and fenugreek powder. Take one teaspoon of this mixture daily in the morning and evening until you are satisfied with the results.
10. Stinging Nettle
Exploratory studies indicate that stinging nettle can be useful therapy for joint pain without any major side effects.
Though the exact reason as to why it alleviates the problem is not known, it is believed that this herb contains active compounds that reduce inflammation. Plus, it is rich in boron, a mineral that is required for healthy bones and joints.
• Steep two to three teaspoons of dried nettle leaves in a cup of hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain and drink the tea. Repeat three times a day until you get positive results.
• You can also place fresh nettle leaves on the affected area for about 30 seconds. Do this once daily for about a week or more. It may cause initial discomfort, but will eventually take the pain away.
Note: This herb may interfere with blood thinners as well as blood pressure, heart and diabetes medications.