Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Rajalakshmi V.raoYour feedback matters!
Running vs walking: which is better?
Is it better to walk or run? which burns more calories?
Running and walking are fairly similar concepts; both get you from a to b. How different are they when it comes to weight loss, then? where do the differences between the two forms of exercise lie, and which one holds the title as the better weight loss aid?
Before comparing the two activities head-to-head, it is important to note that both are beneficial. Both running and walking are proven to offer cardiovascular benefits. Both will help promote weight loss, improve your sleep, elevate your mood, boost your energy level, decrease blood pressure and cholesterol levels and decrease the risk of cancer, diabetes.
Another fun fact is that they have been shown to reduce risk of cataracts with age. They are beneficial to bone density and, therefore, bone strength.
Calories burned per 1-mile walk vs 1-mile run for a 156-lb person (around 70.7kg)
Walk calories burned per mile: 88.9
Run calories burned per mile: 112.5
Walk calories burned per minute: 4.78
Run calories burned per minute: 11.25
Walk after-burn per mile: 21.7
Run after-burn per mile: 46.1
Which burns more calories?
Does running burn more calories than walking? well, yes and no.
If you run for 20 minutes or walk for 50 minutes, you end up burning about the same amount of calories. But if you walk for 20 minutes or run for 20 minutes, running will create the biggest calorie deficit.
So if you've got more time, are more prone to injury or simply have an aversion to high-intensity activities, then go with a lower-intensity exercise, such as walking, biking or swimming.
Just remember that the lower your exercise intensity, the lower the calorie expenditure, so how long you exercise becomes more important.
Do keep in mind that everyone's body responds differently to exercise. So even though you and your spouse may both be walking for 45 minutes each day, your results will differ.
This is because the number of calories you expend during exercise depends on your body composition (lean mass vs. Fat mass). The more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn. In addition, the type of exercise you do and the muscles that are involved will also dictate the amount of calories used.
What's so great about walking?
Walking has a few benefits that set it apart from running:
Walking is correlated with an even lower risk of high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes than running
Walking is ideal for joints because it is a low-impact activity
Lower intensity exercise, such as walking (as opposed to running which is high-intensity), burns energy directly from fat stores
Then why bother running?
Now, those are all great benefits, but that does not necessarily mean that they outweigh the benefits of running.
Running stacks up pretty well in comparison:
Running is correlated with a lower bmi and waist circumference than walking
Running burns more calories per hour, making it more time-efficient than walking
Runners controlled their weight better, so they were able to maintain weight loss long-term
Running suppresses the appetite and regulates hunger hormones
Running causes a more lasting metabolism increase even after exercise has ended.
How running and walking match up
So, which is the better exercise?
At the end of the day, that is really a matter of personal decision. The most important factor to consider is that intensity doesn't have a significant impact on weight loss if you are burning the same amount of calories.
Say you do a high intensity workout for a short period of time. You can likely burn the same amount of calories by doing a low intensity workout for a longer time. This means that you don't necessarily have to go for a run to burn the calories, though running will be much more time efficient.
A calorie is a calorie, and the subtle differences between running and walking are unlikely to add up much.
Natural cures for irregular periods or delayed menstruation at home.
Irregular periods or delayed menstruation/ periods is a common problem faced by women. Irregular periods are also known as oligomenorrhea. The average menstrual cycle is for about 28 days. Though this no can increase or go down for some woman. Due to hormonal imbalance or certain other factor a women can face irregularity in periods or menstruation. This can be due to stress, certain medicines, strenuous exercising, poor diet, anemia, tuberculosis, irritable bowel syndrome, diabetes etc. For the normal menses and regularity of the periods, there are various home remedies that can cure the irregular periods at home.
Natural cures for irregular periods at home.
1. Bitter gourd for irregular periods
Bitter gourd or karela in hindi, is a good cure for the irregular periods condition. Daily consumption of a 2 teaspoonful of karela juice will promote the regularity in the periods and menstruation.
2. Ginger remedy for for irregular periods
Ginger is a multipurpose product which has so many health related benefits. Ginger juice is highly recommended as a good home remedy to treat the irregular periods. Take ginger juice, one teaspoonful three times in a day for at least a month and soon it will help for the regulation of the menstruation.
Another alternative to this can be taking a small piece of ginger and boil that in half cup of water. Drinking that water two times in a day after the breakfast and dinner will also show good results in curing irregular periods.
3. Cinnamon cure for irregular periods
In the health benefits of cinnamon, we mentioned that cinnamon is good for curing the irregular periods and the menstrual cramps that the women common face. Cinnamon has a warming effect which helps to reduce the menstruation cramps. It also helps with the irregular periods.
4. Carrot juice for delayed menstruation
Carrots are good for health. Carrot juice is high on beta carotenes which helps the formation of vitamin a. Carrot juice is rich in iron hence this is great cure for anaemia. Drinking carrot juice everyday helps boost natural immunity, overcoming anaemia, irregular periods and delayed menstruation.
5. Unripe papaya
You might have heard that unripe papaya should not be used during the pregnancy. This can lead to miscarriage. Papaya has a warm effect on the body. Moreover, it induces muscle contraction in the uterus. But this unripe papaya remedy is helpful in regulating the menses when one is facing irregularity in periods. Eating unripe papaya daily in some quantity will help treat the irregular periods naturally at home.
6. Turmeric for for irregular periods cure
Turmeric is antispasmodic which is why it is beneficial in cramps during menstruation. Similarly turmeric is also beneficial in the delayed periods especially for teenager girls. Turmeric can be taken along with milk is the regarded as the best indian treatment for irregular periods. Take a glad of warm milk and add half teaspoonful of turmeric powder in it. Drink this every day.
7. Sesame seeds and honey
Another effective natural cure for irregular periods is with sesame seeds. Sesame seeds help in the hormonal imbalance and lower the stress as well with nutrient richness. Take a teaspoonful of sesame seeds with one teaspoonful of honey daily. This treatment will treat oligomenorrhea within a month and will make the periods regular. [ clean and dry daily intimate powder ]
8. Fennel seeds for delayed menstruation
Most of us take fennel seeds as a mouth freshener after the meals but their function can be much more than that. They aid in the better digestion and absorption of food. Fennel seeds also prevent the irregular periods problem. They make the menstruation regular and reduce the cramps. Take one teaspoonful of fennel seeds every day. This will induce the regular menstruation.
Other cures and tips for irregular periods and delayed menstruation
Along with the remedies shared above there are certain things that you should keep in mind. These tips will help make body healthy and the periods become regular.
Fruits and vegetable:
Fruits and vegetable should be taken in decent portions. Fruit and vegetables are rich in vital vitamins minerals etc which helps in blood formation, prevents anaemia, helps to cure hormonal imbalance. Certain fruit enzymes also relive stress as well.
Intensive exercise can be a cause for the irregular periods or delayed menstruation. But a sedentary lifestyle is also a cause for the same. Try to exercise or do brisk walking for at least 15-20 minutes daily.
Please note that these remedies for irregular periods are to be used when you are not menstruating or are not pregnant. For any serious issues please consult a doctor.
I am having a problems wd my periods. They r vry irregular and from last month its not happening. There z some dark brown excretion and I dnt knw why its happening. Cn you pls tell wht z the problem m having.
It's being one year I got married but I am notable to do sex. I feel very bad. Now these days it's common to do sex. But even after marriage m not able to do. I am not able to insert my husband penis in vagina. He is not ready for doctors visit. Its painful. My very afraid. Please help.
I am 25. Unmarried. Last month my periods lasted only for 4 days instead of 5. And this month. On my 1st day there is less bleeding and brownish red blood. The flow is not proper. I feel my periods will end on the 2nd day only. Why am I having shorter cycles? Am I infertile? Will I have a problem in conceiving in future? My life style is v healthy. I am active. Do not drink or smoke and I take fresh greens in my diet in some form everyday. But my periods are REGULAR. Pls help. I am scared.
If you tell people that their diet or lifestyle or habits make them unhealthy, and chances are that they’d believe you. Not only that, they’d even agree with you wholeheartedly. But if you tell them that the same makes them dumber, then they’d either laugh at you or fight with you. However, its true. Certain things really lower your IQ. Read on to find out.
1. Group projects or meetings: Being a part of group projects or meetings can greatly drain your brain reveals a recent study. The reason for that is that when you’re in a group you have to concentrate more on behaviour and interaction, as a result of which your brain’s performance reduces and you end up making more ‘silly mistakes.’ In fact the situation worsens in a mixed sex group. Research found out that 14% men fare poorly at mental tasks when they feel that women are watching them. Best performance on the other hand is guaranteed when you work alone.
2. Jetlag: Jetlag can cause permanent problems in learning and memory. Research carried out by the University of California revealed that frequent jet lags are equivalent to a hangover that lasts way too long. This can cause you trouble in learning new things. In fact the same study also revealed that the effect of frequent jet lags can last more than a month, making you stupider in the long run. This is because constantly resetting your body clock can alter the anatomy of your brain. That’s the reason why flight attendants are found to suffer from severe memory loss.
3. Being spanked as a child: A research conducted by the University of Hampshire showed that children who were hit as punishment suffered from trauma that hampered their mental growth, and as a consequence led to lower IQs. This post-traumatic stress disorder faced by children who were spanked was the same that soldiers go through when watching heads being blown off. Not only that, even letting babies cry can cause lower IQs in them as the stress experienced is the same. In fact, letting babies cry can cause permanent brain damage which can also lead to trust issues. However, conflicts among family members has a positive impact in decision making, executive function of the child.
4. Junk food: A study found out that kids who eat plenty of junk food at the age of 3 can suffer from low IQs at the age of 8 as compared to those who followed a healthier diet. Eating junk food led to underdeveloped cognitive, behavioural and social skills in children due to lack of nutrition required by the brain to develop properly. In fact sugary foods can have the same effect on adults as well. Overdose of sugar can make your body resistant to insulin which interferes with the way your brain cells work, making you more stupid as a result.
5. Being a city dweller: Living in a city can be the reason why you suffer from poor memory, inattention and learning problems. The reason behind is that living in a city is very taxing for your brain, and your attention is divided between all the multitasking you have to do. This can lead to exhaustion, which as a result can lead to poor memory since your brain is just too tired to recall things. On the other hand, greener environments have the exact opposite effect and can help your brain in functioning more efficiently.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.
Doctor my menstrual cycle is irregular in this month. My last menstrual cycle is in january 5 2015. In my vagina there are some pimples like projection and vagina is so itching and at the time of urination vagina has bad smell also. Can you tell what is the problem. What should I do for regular menstrual cycle.
How sleeping less than 6 hours affects your health
After being awake for almost 14-16 hours, our body demands sleep. Minimum sleeping time required for a healthy mind and body is 7-8 hours. Although, this duration varies according to age. Because generally speaking, where a child can sleep for 12-14 hours, grownups can sleep for not more than 9 hours. Sound sleep is very essential otherwise, it can be harmful for our health. Let's see how sleeping for less than 6 hours affects our health.
- Headache, weight gain and poor vision: When you sleep for less than 6 hours a day, it can not only give you headache all the time but can lead to a poor vision also. And if continued for a long time, may hamper your eyesight. The lesser you sleep the more weight you gain. And after-effects of gaining weight could be even more hazardous.
- Memory loss, heart disease, infection: Sleeplessness can have an adverse effect on one's memory too. A person may find it difficult to remember even simple things. Also, infections can take a longer time to heal because sleep is something that stabilises and balances everything that goes wrong while we are awake. If we don't get proper sleep, the process of healing takes longer. Lack of sleep can also elevate blood pressure which ultimately affects the heart.
- Urine overproduction, stammering and accident: Sleeping slows down urinating process but when you are awake for longer hours, you might have to urinate more than usual. Lack of sleep can also make you stammer while speaking. If lack of sleep continues, you may not be able to communicate properly. When you do not have sound sleep, your mental condition would not be stable because of declining concentration. You can be accident prone if you drive in such a condition.
These are just a few of the ill effects. Sleeping for less than 5 hours is far more dangerous than you can even think. From behavioural to mental to physical effects, it can harm you in many more ways, So, have a sound sleep to avoid complications in life.
Mam, In my right breast, it seems lumps, it remains there for more than 5 yrs, it doesn't pains me. Suggest if mammography is required.
I got married last years in the month of may. My husband is elder than one yr. We are trying for the baby. I checked gynecologist. She said normal. But your weaker. Im working as a teacher. My husband is working in other place. He usually come on friday and go on Monday. My problem is that periods are normal. Last month period came on 20th. This month period com on 17th. Period delay for 2 or 5 days. After that periods come. I don't know wat is the reason.
Hello doc I got conceived 1 year back but miscarriage happened .still nw trying to get conceive .this time my doc advised to put tablet for inducing ovulation and then follicular scan from tenth day whether s day help me to conceive give some tips for getting d result.
In our modern life, cancer is the most dreaded disease of all. Despite substantial advances in medical science, there hasn't been much of a progress in the treatment available for cancer. The mortality rate for cancer is still on the rise and all this, in spite of all kinds of sophisticated treatments at our disposal.
Cancer is rather a torturous experience, not merely on account of the terminal consequence, but also of the extreme physical and emotional suffering that one has to endure. What's worse is that often all the efforts are rendered vain. In that context, a large number of people have started looking towards alternative therapies as a cure for cancer. Serious forms of cancers like blood cancer or leukemia are often formidable and do not respond favourably to the clinical treatments. Consequently, despite all attempts and humongous investments, the casualties are on the rise. To counter such threats, people are growingly moving towards alternative remedies. Among the other natural cures, Ayurveda has garnered a lot of interest and approval.
Ayurveda has devised a holistic process that potentially cures you of blood cancer and endows you with a fresh leash of life. As per Ayurveda, the main causes of cancer may be enumerated as genetic imbalances, exposure to harmful radiation, stressful and unhealthy lifestyle and consumption of degenerating food items. As such, Ayurveda tries to heal not just the disease but also the germ of the disease and in the process, improves your well-being.
Ayurveda grapples with blood cancer in the following ways:
- Adjuvant to ongoing treatment: You may be skeptical of depending entirely on Ayurveda as a remedy for cancer. As such, Ayurvedic treatments may be used as ancillaries alongside the ongoing chemotherapy and radiology. Ayurveda stimulates your in built immunity and thus prolongs and rejuvenates your lifespan. That aside, the natural benefits that Ayurveda provides your body reduce the side effects of chemotherapy and help in complete remission of the disease.
- Rasashastra: Ayurveda deems the imbalance in your genetic code to be the main cause of cancer. Therefore, it believes that remedy lies in 'pitta' restoration. Under this treatment, Ayurveda uses a combination of metals vis-a-vis the purest elements to minimize the deterioration of the condition. A unique combination of silver, gold and other essential minerals can be wondrous to boost the immunity of the cells and restore the normal cell production rate in your marrows. This goes a long way in obliterating the damage caused by blood cancer.
- The right diet: Consuming the most favourable foods are essential while battling cancer. An alkaline diet comprising of coconut water, warm, fresh nutritious food like leafy greens, apples and nuts must be regularly consumed. Greasy, spicy and lavish dishes should be avoided since they are known to generate harmful 'ama' in your body.