Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Ayurvedas in India. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Radhika
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. RadhikaYour feedback matters!
Constipation is when a person has difficulty passing stool or has very dry stool. With processed and refined food habits on the rise, constipation is also becoming a rampant problem. The food passes through the large intestine, where a large part of the water is reabsorbed and stool is formed. This is expelled from the body, and if there is constipation, this passage of stool can be difficult, painful, and may be accompanied by bleeding too.
Constipation is common in children as well as among the elderly. Children eat a lot more junk compared to adults. As age progresses, elders begin losing teeth and they chew less which leads to indigestion and thereby constipation. Treating constipation should be a conscious effort as it does not have a single remedy. A combination of dietary changes including all aspects like fiber, water, caffeine etc. can help in treating constipation effectively.
- As the first thing in the morning, drinking a glass of lukewarm water is good. Add some baking soda to this, if you are feeling bloated, it aids in cleansing the bowels.
- Ginger tea is another great remedy to induce bowel movements in the morning.
- A glass of warm milk with a little honey or sugar is a good remedy for constipation.
- Warm water or milk with Isabgol husk at bedtime helps bowel movements in the morning.
- Applying a few drops of lukewarm castor oil over the navel when going to sleep can help in easy passage of stools in the morning.
- Guava, pears, oranges, grapes, papaya, apples, and other fruits add roughage to the diet and help in easy passage of stools.
- Soak some raisins in hot water, cool it, crush and strain them. This is very effective for treating constipation in children.
- A glass of carrot juice or papaya juice is very useful in treating constipation.
- Drink about 8 to 10 glasses of water to avoid constipation. The artificial juices and canned drinks do not count in this, as they only make it worse.
- High-fat, processed foods, alcohol, and caffeine are major causes of constipation. So one should avoid them to a large extent.
- Including small amounts of olive oil, castor oil, and ghee help in lubrication and easy passage of the stools.
- Triphala, which is a popular Ayurvedic preparation, can be mixed with warm water and consumed to prevent constipation. Given its bitter taste, you can add a small amount of honey to it. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-parasitic properties. This helps in overall cleansing of the colon and is not just a short-term remedy.
- Yogasanas like pavana muktasana, yoga mudra, dhanur asana, and vajrasana have major benefits on the digestive system, including releasing accumulated gas and passage of stools.
Following these tips and maintaining dietary and lifestyle discipline is very effective in providing long term remedy from constipation. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ayurveda.