Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Neurologists in India. You will find Neurologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Cerebral Palsy Treatment
Brain Tumor Surgery
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Surgery Of The Facial Nerve
Radiofrequency Neurotomy Procedure
Spine Surgery Treatment
Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi) Treatment
Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injury (Tbi)
Assistive Walking Device Training
Vagus Nerve Stimulation ( Epilepsy )
Deep Brain Stimulation Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Purushottam T. AcharyaYour feedback matters!
Epilepsy is defined as a neurological disorder, which affects people of all age groups. However, the cases of seizures are found more in young children (likely to occur in as many as 4% of children) than in adults. It is still not known as to why a developing brain is more prone to seizures than a mature brain. A child is said to be suffering from epilepsy when they occur frequently.
As parents your responsibilities are compounded if your child has epilepsy. You not only have to pay heed towards the normal concerns of his/her upbringing but also have to look into your child's emotional aspects, while dealing with the disorder in your day to day life.
You can help your child deal with the condition in the following ways:
1. It is quite likely that your child may feel resentful and develop emotional issues, such as depression or low self-esteem. Help your child cultivates positive attitude towards life and his/her disease.
2. Try to make your child come to terms with reality by helping him/her to understand that even though he/she may be different, he/she shouldn't look upon the condition as something that is abnormal. It is best to help your child concentrate on his/her strengths at such times.
3. Help your child participate in activities of his/her choice to instill positivity in life.
4. Make sure your other children understand their sibling's ailment and if he/she feels neglected try and spend more time with him/her. If need be, seek family counselling to make everyone understand how to deal with your child's illness.
5. Learn about your child's medication schedule thoroughly and also find out what he/she needs to do in case a dose of medication is missed.
6. Develop an environment where he/she feels comfortable and can easily share a concern or anxieties. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a pediatrician.
My father age is 75 year. And his legs not working since 20 days. I have consulted a Neurophysiological doctor so he ask me my father is not well in Future. My father's reports CONCLUSION: This Neurophysiological study (Nerve conduction study) is grossly abnormal. There are evidences of distal and proximal small and large fibre, predominantly axonal demyelinating. Sensory or polyneuropathy involving lower limbs. Further extensive study may be required to see spread of the disease in upper limbs. Please sir suggested me it's very serious problem.
He is 32 years old met an small accident so he consult doctor they told blod clot in nervein head and nerves are weak. They do treatment but told to make surgery but they told chance is 50% only. So tell me is there chance to cure ?
A migraine is considered to be one of the worst headache of all. It causes excruciating pain along with a range of other symptoms. Notably, a migraine pain is very different in nature compared to general headache. A migraine pain is mostly felt on any one side of the brain. Since a migraine is difficult to diagnose, here is a list of 5 signs that will help you to understand, if your headache qualifies as a migraine:
- Vision splotches: It is very common among migraine patients to experience blind spots and a sudden flash of light. While this might appear to be a little unusual, it is pretty normal for migraine patients. The visual cortex of the brain is responsible for incidences like these. They often pace up and slow down to cause such unnatural feelings. For cases like this, the nerve gets activated by the optical lobe and crashes immediately resulting in such sensations. These visible auras are felt by both the eyes.
- A spinning sensation: A migraine patient often gets a swirling sensation. This requires them to immediately lie down. This is accompanied with nausea and throwing up. Certain migraine-induced changes caused in the brain causes hearing imbalance which is very similar to vertigo. These auras often serve as the onset of a migraine and can last for over one hour before the actual migraine cycle starts. If a person is suffering from these symptoms, it is a clear indication that he is suffering from a migraine.
- Light sensitivity: Migraine patients often becomes oversensitive to sound and light. This is perhaps the reason why most migraine sufferers like to spend more time in dark and solicitude. Studies have shown that sudden exposure to light activates the optic nerve fiber which in turn activates the pain receptors in the brain. A study conducted by the Nature Neuroscience journal conducted in the year 2010 showed that even blind person (with a migraine) suffers from a sudden glow of light.
- Touch sensitivity: Sensory auras often cause sharp pain from tiniest of touches. This is a condition known as the allodynia. This is a condition by which the spine and the brain get super excited by the inflamed blood vessels. This condition should be reported to a doctor since the most common medicine of a migraine does not work well if a patient is suffering from allodynia.
- Funny Face: Aura of the tongue, face and lips are known as cheiro-oral. There is a type of aura that makes even speaking and eating difficult. At time sufferers feel that they are suffering from serious diseases such as brain tumor. If this condition prevails, it makes sense to consult your doctor at the earliest and start medication.
Hi, I have one problem. i was shivered at fear and when I carry some weights even to take selfie with mobile on that time my hand was shivering i'm not alcoholic. But everyday i faced this problem. If i get fear and scary moments the problem will be high. What is the problem of that. please tell me solution.
Living with epilepsy can be highly challenging. This is a medical condition that can be controlled with medications in most cases, but it might not be useful for all patients due to severe side effects. It is estimated that up to 30% people who have epilepsy face this issue, and in such cases, surgery might be considered as an option.
This condition typically results in seizures which is a result of sudden electrical activity in the brain. So, certain complicated epilepsy operations on the brain can help patients with their seizures and contain their symptoms.
The goal of epilepsy surgeries involves removing part of the brain that causes these seizures and disrupting parts of the nervous system in the brain that contribute to the same. The procedure also involves the installation of a device that helps control the side effects of epilepsy.
When is surgery not an option for epilepsy?
Doctors would accurately identify the part of the brain that is causing seizures as the first step. These parts are known in medical terms as the ‘seizure’ focus. This area should not be related critical functions of the brain like movement, sensation, and language involved – else surgery would not be possible.
Surgery is not viable when seizures are severe and impair bodily movement or if the patient has serious medical conditions (like cancer or heart diseases).
Common Surgery Options Available
- Lesionectomy: This is one of the most commonly used procedures. This form of surgery involves the surgeon removing brain lesions from the brain or areas of injury due to malformed blood vessels or tumors. These injuries can often cause seizures and epilepsy and can be treated effectively with lesionectomy.
- Lobe resection: This is another form of treatment which is possible only if the epilepsy is located in one of the four parts of the brain – the temporal lobe. It is quite common in younger people and can easily be treated by expert neurosurgeons by removing the brain tissues that are causing epilepsy.
- Multiple Subpial Transections: While the above methods involve cutting out brain tissues, sometimes such surgeries just might not be possible due to other complications. If the parts of the brain cannot be cut out, surgeons tend to adopt Multiple Subpial Transections. This procedure can help control seizures without requiring cutting out parts of the brain. Small intersections are made in the brain to disrupt the impulses from affected brain cells that cause seizures, and they do not affect normal brain activity. It helps leave all abilities intact in patients and aids in treatment very effectively.
So, if you are just fed up with dealing with the seizures, consult your doctor who will be able to advise on the course of action depending on the history and medical condition.
My hand shivers always when I hold something. Sometimes when I drive that time Also what should I have to do?
Hi Doctor, My mom age is of 44, she have a nervous pain of past 15 years from backbone to left leg , what is the remedy and what kind of food she had to take ? Why it comes ?
I am staying alone for last 30 years, my age is 55. I used to drink 3-4 pegs of whisky daily and chew pan masala n tobbaco. Often I feel sweat and thereafter some time shivering also. Can you suggest something ?
I am on libotrp 12.5/ 5 mg for insomnia but couldn't get sleep whole night can I take a zolfresh 5 mg now.
Hai doctor! Past few weeks I get weird feeling on my right hand, it's like current passing through and very little of numbness. It from my shoulder to my thumb. On my thumb above the nail it's constantly numm and feel like no sense. What should I do? Should I consult doctor? If yes which specialises I should. Thanks and regards Yuva.
Neurological disorders are problems with any one or a combination of the central nervous system or any of its peripheral systems such as cranial nerves, neuromuscular junctions, and the autonomic nervous systems among others.
Some extreme examples of neurological disorders are:
- Alzheimer's disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Disorders brought on by strokes
- Multiple sclerosis and others
What is physiotherapy and how can it help?
Physiotherapy is a form of treatment where practitioners use physical forms of treatment such as massages, exercises, heat treatment and other controlled forms of external stimuli to treat physical disorders.
This method of treatment can be very effective in correcting neurological disorders.
Some of the physiotherapy techniques, which can be implemented to help patients, are as follows:
- Electrical Stimulation: This method is commonly used to treat muscular problems, especially incurred after an accident or any other form of injury. In this method, controlled electric stimulation is given to specific nerve areas over the skin to stimulate them.
- Heat treatment: This method involves applying heat to parts of the body such as joints or muscles where there is nerve or muscular damage. This treatment is especially effective for muscle related problems.
- Ice or cold treatment: Vertically opposite to the principle of heat treatment, ice or cold treatment is used to contract muscles within the body. This is especially effective where inflammation needs to be controlled.
- Manual therapy: Possibly the most common form of physiotherapy, this method employs massages, pressure points, stretching and hands on strengthening exercises and helps regularize nerve impulses to areas where they have been affected.
After a hard day the only relief one has is to get a good night’s rest and drift off to the world of sweet sleep. You might find yourself wide awake at night, even when your body is extremely tired. This difficulty to fall asleep naturally is called insomnia. If this inability to sleep continues for a long time, it becomes a sleep disorder and can cause many physical and health issues.
Reasons behind Insomnia
The lifestyle of the twenty first century can be very demanding. A disorder like Insomnia can be easily triggered with various factors they include:
1. Emotional stress: The rollercoaster of emotions that one deals with had a huge effect on their sleep cycle. A stressed mindset will find it hard to be put to rest and as this unwanted stress continues each day.
2. Fluctuating hormones in a woman’s body: Women tend to be the victims of insomnia more often than their male counterparts. These changes may include conditions such as PMS, menstruation problem, pregnancy and menopause.
3. Use of caffeine and anti depressants: Excessive coffee drinkers might find it difficult to relax their brain, since the caffeine in tea and coffee keeps one brain alert, hence too much of caffeine consumption can be a cause of insomnia. Even smokers might face the same problem since the nicotine acts as an alerting agent.
4. Systemic disorders: Disorders like Asthma and Hyperthyroidism and other various medical conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease, asthma, arthritis, allergies, hyperthyroidism and Parkinson’s disease can do the same.
Treating insomnia with homeopathy
The reason why Insomnia can be treated the best way through homeopathy is because this treatment is both free from any side effects and is quick in its effects as well in comparison to other conventional methods which induce artificial sleep that can have harrowing effects. On the contrary, homeopathy is a completely natural treatment that doesn’t include any artificial drugs and its small doses work just the right way.
1. Coffea Cruda is a homeopathic medicine that is most often used for treating insomnia of acute origin or when the disorder only lasts for a brief moment of time. As the name suggests it is made from coffee beans.
2. Nux Vomica is more suited when insomnia is due to the abuse of stimulants like too much of alcohol, coffee or nicotine. Other medicines such as opium, aconite, arsenic are also recommended by a specialized homeopath.
It is always recommended to consult a specialized homeopath before taking any medication.