Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Physiotherapists in India. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 41 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. PraveenYour feedback matters!
The Anterior Cruciate Ligament or ACL tear is a very common problem with athletes and with people who have an active lifestyle. In fact, this can also be caused by any accident due to sudden movement.
Importance of ACL-
The ACL is the supporting ligament, which runs diagonally from back to front right in the middle of the knee, connecting the femur bone and the tibia, and helps the tibia not to come before the femur. Thus the balance of the knee during back and forth movements and the entire stability of the knee joint is secured by this very important piece of ligament.
What leads to an injury to the ACL?
Here are a few actions that may result in a ligament tear.
Sudden stopping while running or slowing down from a fast speed
Sudden change in direction
Uncontrolled jumping from a height
Direct hitting with an object or person
What happens when the ACL is torn?
If the ACL is torn, the stability of your knee is gone, and you feel as if you have no control over the joint. Moreover, it causes extreme pain and instant swelling. Swelling usually appears within 24 hours of the injury.
Treatment of ACL Injury-
Recovery from an ACL tear is possible only after a surgery. Without surgery, the affected will not be able to return to sports or athletics, or may not be able to run and make swift movements again as before. However, to avoid surgery, there are non-invasive treatments for the aged and people who require moving less.
Non-invasive Treatment: Bracing is one treatment where braces are given to support the knee joint during movement and also to avoid further injury. This is effective for the elderly who need minimum movement and may manage daily activities with a braced knee. Also, crutches add to the support and let the weaker knee get rest. This is followed by physical therapy. But the swelling has to reduce before starting it. Many exercises and controlled movements over a long time help in getting back agility in movement gradually.
- Surgical Treatment: Once the swelling subsides, doctors would plan for an Arthroscopic (Key-Hole Surgery) ACL reconstruction. In this Doctor make a graft of a tendon. This graft is inserted into the joint and fixed in anatomical position in femur and tibia Arthroscopically so that the newly created ACL functions like the natural one. This is the only way to get back the ligament in whole as the torn ligament cannot be stitched. Surgery is done through arthroscope and recovery time is 15 days for resuming day to day activities and 3 to 6 month for resuming sports activities with continued physical therapy after the surgery. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a orthopedist and ask a free question.
I have chief complaint of pain in calf of right leg from past 5 years,(I was hit by football while playing) localised pain stabbing in nature not aggravated on walking. Remains same but more in winter season. Aggregates only when I stretch the achelis tendon. I feel relieved when I take NSAIDS. NO LAB INVESTIGATIONS DONE TILL NOW. I am getting bothered about DVT sir.?
Hello sir meri problem hai ki kuch din se mere kamar me aur peeth me pain ho raha hai chair per bathne me pareshani ho rahi hai please help me.
I am a 43 years old man with a problem of swelling in my right leg just above the knee cap. I tried anti inflammatory ointments and also Vit D3 soft gel caps but the pain.
Meri dadi 75 years ki h. Unke right hand me bhot dard h neck se wrist tk. please tell me d solution of this problem.
I am 23 year old, I have pain in my hip and beneath the knee but when I am touching or pressing my hip and down of knee then there is no pain, but I am having pain in my hip and beneath knee, when I sitting, raising foot up and down. Its from last one month I use a medicine "DOLONEX DT" tablet for 5 days, it gave relief for some days, but it again paining. I think it might be problem in bone. Please suggest me sir/Mam.
I was fallen from bed last night and my right hand got injured it is paining a lot What should I do Any suggestions please Also tell me that it is important to consult a doctor ?
I have pain in my left knee all around it due to which i m unable to walk freely. Sometimes heaviness is felt in it too. Informatively, im a flat_footed for which i use to use Dr. School's inner sole too inme shoes,but it doesn't give me any relief.It pains while pressing the knee. Can anyone suggest me the remedy?
Doctor, My age is 21 and I feel that there is some problem in my knee of one leg only. Can you tell me reason for that.
When I sleep ahead Ac my legs are cramped means my muscles pains so what should I do in such condition.
I am 21.5 years old female. Weight 46kg. Height 5'3" I am suffering from urine problems from about 3-4 months. But from one months. It is very severe. I feel urge to urinate soon after urinating. Nocturia is there. I can not even sleep because of repeated urges to urinate. I even urinate full quantity of urine even if it is just 2 minutes later than last micturition. Sometimes onset of micturition is delayed. It becomes difficult. I experience lower back pain after urination. And hypogastric region is swollen and painful to touch. Urine contains little to large foam most of times. I had given urine culture and analysis to diagnose the cause. Urine culture report is ok. No bacterial growth But in urine analysis. Rare pus cells are present. And calcium oxalate crystals are there. What can be diagnosed now? What should I do?
Having strain & pain from right hip to feet autometically released after 20-30min. Walk, no definciencies in x-ray, using" gabapin me" as advised by doctor since ten days. Advise proper treatment please ?
I am facing tongue ulcer problem from long back I have consult doctors but still problem it there. Whenever I get tensed my tongue starts to became heavy. Please suggest.
Enter question for you or someone else. For e. G am 25 year old male and have backache for last 2 months. I have used pain relief ointment cream for couple of days but haven’t got any relief. What should I do now?
I am 65 yrs old lady. C/o severe osteoarthritis k/c/o hp n dm. Please help me to get rid the severe joint esp knee pain
Shoulder pain can be a persistent dull and nagging sensation in the upper arm or shoulder area. It can be easily differentiated from neck pain as it is related to the movement of shoulders i.e. it will increase and decrease with shoulder movements, especially overhead activities. The other signs to identify shoulder pain is if your shoulder movements are reduced.
If you find it difficult to scratch / wash your back, comb your hair or reach your back pocket, it clearly shows you are suffering from shoulder pain. Shoulder pain can happen due to various reasons, it varies from person to person depending on the activities he/she is involved in, for e.g. sports, manual job etc. It can be a single major injury or multiple small injuries due to repetitive usage patterns. Also, degenerative changes in various parts of the shoulder can lead to shoulder pain.
In case of middle to old age, injuries that can cause shoulder pain are:
- Biceps Tendonitis
- Acromio-clavicular Joint arthritis
- Scapular Dyskinesia
- Suprascapular nerve entrapment In young age, injury due to sports or gym activity can cause shoulder pain
- Superior labral anterior/posterior (SLAP tear)lesion
Also, traumatic or repeated dislocations of shoulder can cause shoulder pain due to:
- Bankart lesion
Diagnose Shoulder Pain
Shoulder pain can be diagnosed only after thorough history taking and clinical examination. However, some imaging studies can be very helpful like:
- X-rays: Through an x-ray one can view the shoulder in many different views.
- Ultrasound: With an ultrasound, you can also check the damaged caused to the tendons and muscles of the shoulder but the quality of reporting depends upon the expertise of the doctor.
- MRI: MRI gives a clear picture of the shoulder as it shows everything related to a shoulder joint that is joints, vessels, tendons and muscles that too from different angles.
- Diagnostic Arthroscopy: A surgical procedure often used by orthopaedic surgeons to diagnose and treat issues inside a joint. Arthroscopy has the big advantage that one can use it to diagnose as well as treat at the same time.
Treatment for Various Types of Shoulder Pain
- For Shoulder Impingement or Rotator Cuff tear: Give rest to the shoulder for a few days only Dedicated Physiotherapy Protocol Bursal injections If these fail then, (Surgery)Arthroscopic sub-acromial decompression If Cuff tear is found, then one can go for Arthroscopic/Mini-open repair
- Labral Lesions: For anterior Labral lesions (Bankart's) following anterior shoulder dislocation then surgery in the form of Arthroscopic Bankart's repair is the only option to reduce risk of recurrence and degeneration.
- Pain relief and physiotherapy as first step If this fails then following surgical options are available
- Arthroscopic debridement or repair of labrum
- Biceps tenotomy or tenodesis
In this case, the joint is already destroyed and has to be resurfaced for pain relief and to maintain ROM. If Rotator cuff muscles are working, then Shoulder resurfacing hemiarthroplasty (preferred in young people), that has a life of 10 to 15 years, Total shoulder replacement (preferred in middle aged to old people) has a life of 10 to 15 years. But, if rotator cuff muscle are not working then Reverse Geometry Shoulder replacement is recommended, that has a life of 10 years.
It is always advisable to get yourself diagnosed properly in case of shoulder pain as management changes depending on clinical situations. Neglecting shoulder conditions can lead to bigger problems later on.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!