Find numerous General Surgeons in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find General Surgeons with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Surgeons online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Prashanth Y. M
Kidney Stones Treatment
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Dressings Of Wounds Procedure
Varicose Vein Laser Treatment
Hernia Repair Surgery
Urinary Incontinence (Ui) Treatment
Stitching Of Wounds Procedure
Treatment Of Deep Vein Thrombosis - Dvt
Male Breast Reduction Treatment
Prostate Laser Surgery
Gastric Bypass Surgery
Treatment of Bone Marrow Transplantation
Vascular Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Prashanth Y. MYour feedback matters!
At birth my baby was fair but now she had little bit dark how can I get fair colour of my baby she is 1 & half year?
I'm 28 years old with maternal family history of breast cancer. Recently I found some small lump in my right breast in the lower lateral quadrant. My periods are irregular and my breasts are generally tender one wk before the onset of periods till the 2rd day of menstruation. I got a mammogram ultrasound and fnac done which diagnosed it as benign breast lesion which is 22 mm which can be fibroadenoma. My doctor said it can be chronic cystic mastitis. And suggested a therapeutic test with danazol 100 mg thrice daily and vit E 200 mg once daily. Now my doubts are can I continue the steroid treatment? Will the lump resolve? Will there be any side effects after using danazol. Or should I get the lump excised. Please suggest.
Since April, I was under ayurvedic treatment for fissures but had to discontinue due to acidity. I was under impression that ayurveda is safe. Acidity stopped within a week after discontinuing ayurveda. I have relaxed sphincter tone, anal swelling on one side, it shrinks after taking Chirulvilvadi kashaya but acidity stopped from continuing. Mild occasionally rectal pain is there.
A common skin condition which causes the discoloration of your skin in patches across the face, melasma is more of a social embarrassment and cause for distress rather than being a serious condition. Although it affects men as well, studies have shown that over 90 percent of patients are women. It is also known as the mask of pregnancy as many pregnant women develop this skin condition.
Causes of Melasma
Primary causes of melasma have been attributed to various hormonal changes within the body. Let's look at some of the factors that may cause this disorder:
- Pregnancy - This is often attributed as the leading cause of melasma, the primary cause has often been attributed to hormonal changes that a woman may experience due to pregnancy.
- Treatments that may change hormonal balance - Women on contraceptive pills or who have implants such as intrauterine devices may also develop this disorder. This is due to the balance of estrogen and progesterone being changed within the body.
- Sun exposure - Continued sun exposure may also lead to melasma. This is due to the activation of melanocytes within the body which start producing more melanin.
- Stress - Long periods of stress on the body can also trigger hormonal changes and cause melasma.
- Thyroid problems - If someone suffers from Hypothyroidism or low levels of the thyroid hormone, it can trigger other hormonal changes and also cause this skin disorder.
It has also been noticed that people with generally a darker skin tone tend to get melasma and it is less common in people with fairer skin.
Certain Characteristics of Melasma
Melasma develops in certain patterns which can be easily diagnosed either as spots on the skin similar to freckles or brown patches of skin that grow bigger. Some of these patterns are:
- Malar pattern - This grows on the nose and cheeks
- Mandibular pattern - Starts growing around the jaw line
- Brachial melasma - This grows on the upper arms and shoulders
- Lateral cheek pattern - Grows on the cheek on both sides of the face
- Centrofacial pattern - Nose, upper lips, forehead and cheeks
Treatment of Melasma
Most women who develop melasma during pregnancy report that it goes away after childbirth. However certain forms of melasma may appear in non-pregnant women due to hormonal changes. Treating the underlying hormonal changes usually resolves the problem. However certain other methods may be required to resolve the issues such as skin creams, chemical peels, dermabrasion and microdermabrasion.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!