Find numerous Pediatricians in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Pediatricians with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Paediatric Critical Care
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Child Nutrition Management
Growth And Development Including General Paediatri
Management of New Born Care
Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (Pgd)
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome In Adolesce
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Cleft Lip Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. PrakashYour feedback matters!
Iron is an essential nutrient and mineral that is required by adults and children alike. Iron helps move oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body and helps muscles store and use oxygen. It is especially important for children because it aids development and prevents anaemia. Untreated iron deficiency in children can cause physical and mental delays. It can lead to less healthy red blood cells in the child's blood stream which will cause a delay in the growth of physical and mental faculties.
Risk factors for iron deficiency in children
Infants and children at highest risk of iron deficiency include:
- Babies who are born prematurely or have a low birth weight
- Babies who drink cow's milk before age 1
- Breast-fed babies who aren't given complementary foods containing iron after age 6 months
- Babies who drink formula that isn't fortified with iron
- Children ages 1 to 5 who drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of cow's milk, goat's milk or soy milk a day
- Children who have certain health conditions, such as chronic infections or restricted diets
- Children ages 1 to 5 who have been exposed to lead
- Adolescent girls also are at higher risk of iron deficiency because their bodies lose iron during menstruation.
Symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia
The signs and symptoms of iron deficiency anaemia in children may include:
- Pale skin
- Fatigue or weakness
- Slow cognitive and social development
- Inflammation of the tongue
- Difficulty maintaining body temperature
- Increased likelihood of infections
- Unusual cravings for non-nutritive substances, such as ice, dirt or pure starch
Prevent iron deficiency in children
Take steps to prevent iron deficiency in your child by paying attention to his or her diet. For example:
- Breast-feed or use iron-fortified formula. Breast-feeding until your child is age 1 is recommended. If you don't breast-feed, use iron-fortified infant formula.
- Encourage a balanced diet. When you begin serving your baby solids, typically between ages 4 months and 6 months, feed him or her foods with added iron, such as iron-fortified baby cereal. For older children, good sources of iron include red meat, chicken, fish, beans and dark green leafy vegetables. Between ages 1 and 5, don't allow your child to drink more than 24 ounces (710 milliliters) of milk a day.
- Enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps promote the absorption of dietary iron. You can help your child absorb iron by offering foods rich in vitamin C, such as melon, strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, tomatoes and potatoes.
- Consider iron supplements. If your baby was born prematurely or with a low birth weight or you're breast-feeding a baby older than 4 months and he or she isn't eating two or more servings a day of iron-rich foods, talk to a child's doctor about oral iron supplements.
Make sure that you watch out for the tell tale signs of iron deficiency and take the necessary precautions to avoid the same. If you wish to discuss about any specific child related problem, you can consult a specilized pediatrician and ask a free question.
Is it possible for a child of age 5 years and 4 months to have 'Fibrile Convulsion Plus' symptoms without running a high fever?
My daughter is unable to express herself with words instead she communicates with gestures. Her date of birth is 06-08-2015 and she weighs about 10 kilos. Is it normal for a two year old to utter only a few words or is it something to worry? Please help.
My daughter is 11 months old. She can't sleep without breastfeed. N whenever she wakes up. What is right for her? Shall I avoid n how?
My 8 month old baby boy has law HB And Doctor prescribed Iron, folic acid, B12 syrup But sir I want to know ,which foods increase iron, folic acid ,B12 in my baby (8 month)?
My 1.5 month son is spitting (foamy) too much and is taking out much milk from nose and mouth. I am much worried. Please guide.
My son is going to be seven this August. He suffers from season change/temperature change (sitting in car with a. C on) allergy which leads to stuffy nose very often. This has been happening since around 2.5 years. How to deal with it?
Hii sir my baby is 15 days I want to my baby is became genous his mother does not produce adequate milk I give bottle feeding to my baby what should I be done.
Utmost care should be given for children s dental health. Tooth appears six months from birth. Clean tooth with wet gauze and go for a dental visit at soon aftr first year of birth. Taking child to a dentist at young age is the best way to prevent tooth related problems.
A child have 4. 5 years suffering with over active. Is it possible that the same child have developmental delay problem? he is very over active child.
My baby is 16 months old. Suffering from fever, Cold & crying every time .appetite is not good. Please prescribe .thank you sir.
Hi, My 8 month old baby got fever yesterday I showed to pediatrician he told fever is spread it was 102 degree he told if It increase to 104 you should admit and he told this fever will be till 5 days so m fully sad today my baby fever is 100 degree once raising once reducing he gave two types of medicine per day two times macfast oral suspension then another is xyclave dry syrup. Please let me know how to cure my baby fast from fever.
My son is 7 months old and Doctor prescribed ultra vitamin D3 syrup when he is born but they did not tell when to stop. Still we are feeding this syrup. Please suggest me when we can stop this syrup?
Sir my son is 13 years old. He have obesity. His weight is about 70 Kg. Let me know the simplest way to loose weight of my son. Due to nature of my job I can't spare more time for my family. I will be thankful if you solve this problem. Thanks Umesh Khinvasara.
Hi. My baby is 15 months old and largely depends upon milk. If we give him something solid he spits that out or sometimes puke. Somehow we have managed to give him cerelac once a day. My concern is if this routine is ok or what can I do. Also he has grown his front teeth only.
Hello sir I have given pentaxim for my baby at 6 weeks and 10 weeks and hexaxim at 14 weeks. Now im really worried regarding the immune status. Can I switch to painful vaccine for further vaccination. If I opt for painful vaccine for booster dose will the immune status be compensated. Pls give me suggestions sir.
What a mother should expect about baby's hair growth.?
Every baby is special in his own way. Some are bald beauties and some have heaps of hair. Hair density mostly depends upon the genetic makeup of the baby. In the initial six months of life, babies hair tend to fall. Some may become totally bald and may not show any growth for some time.This is completely normal. Most babies show new hair growth between 9 months to 12 months of life. Almost all babies have growth till their second birthday. The colour and texture of the hair may vary from that present at birth. Curly hair can be replaced by straight hair. And thick dense hair can be replaced by thinner and sparse hair.
How to wash my baby's hair?
With newborn babies, In the early days the best way to wipe their hair is with a sponge. Support your baby's shoulders and head, which again should be tilted slightly, and gently pat the wet and warm sponge over the hair until it is sufficiently clean.
After 4-5 weeks in young babies use a small amount of baby shampoo on your baby's hair. Softly rub in a circular motion, and then use a plastic cup or your hand to rinse off the shampoo.
Always be gentle whenever you message a tearless baby shampoo into your baby's scalp. A too-brisk scalp massage can force hair follicles and speed up hair loss or breakage.
How often should I wash my baby's hair?
You should never wash your baby's hair everyday. Particularly with the newborns, there's just no requirement. Once, twice or on need basis baby's hairs can be washed. Instead of washing it every day, gently wipe it with a sponge daily to remove any dirt and fresh your baby up.
Which shampoo should I use?
Always use tearless nourishing natural ingredients shampoos. During first month try to avoid shampoo. Tearless shampoo can even hurt, avoid spillage in eyes. Adult shampoos should be avoided as it contains chemicals that can be toxic to the baby.
Will shaving head improve my babies hair growth?
Shaving your baby's head does not improve the hair growth. The hair just looks healthier with the dried, scraggly ends removed