Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 33 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Parvathi Jawal
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Parvathi JawalYour feedback matters!
I am a 29 years lady and I have white discharge problem and backache problem from past 8 months what should I do?
I have regular period comes but bleeding only for only on first day only please give me medical advice.
Boost up your metabolism, take off your weight:
How can you boost your metabolism? if you make a goal to keep off your weight gain by increasing your metabolism and like to stick to it, nothing can resist you to attain it. Constant efforts help you to burn your calories.
Probably, you have heard that people like to blame their weight on slow metabolism. But the metabolism can be increased by taking diet properly and doing exercise daily. Someone with high metabolic rate is able to burn calories more efficiently than someone with low metabolic rate.
Is there any possible way to boost up your metabolism?
Diet and physical activities help to rev up your metabolism and doing so it contributes to cut down the weight too. Keeping on the maintenance of lower weight helps to speed up the metabolism you were born with, it can't be happen without constant effort.
If you have tremendous success in losing weight up to a certain point but then suddenly stop seeing results, at that time you encounter a plateau where the people's metabolism has slowed to match their new level of fitness. The metabolism doesn't have to work as hard because there is less body mass to fuel. The person with slower metabolic rate need to boost his metabolism, who will always have to work harder to keep his weight off than a naturally lean person.
You have to need to make some changes in your diet and physical activities so that you can continue to reduce your weight by speed up your metabolism and also these changes could bump you off your fitness plateau :
1. Change your physical activities- You have to increase your intensity and duration of workout gradually. Increase your metabolism by incorporating both cardio and weight training will help to increase your lean muscle mass to burn calories and can try to do some different types of exercise like swimming, bicycling, brisk walking etc.
Aerobic exercise is the most efficient way to burn calories. If you doing so, it will help to break down the plateau.
2. Change your diet- You must have to include complex carbohydrates at least 50 percent in your daily diet so that it will help to your body properly fueled and also include more lean protein.
Omega 3 fats can boost you metabolism than saturated fats which slows down the metabolism. If you plan to consume diet with few complex carbohydrates and more lean proteins for few days, it will definitely help to cut off the fitness plateau.
3. Change your lifestyle at some extent- Either you are taking the meals every couple of hours or some number of meals in a day, should be fit in your lifestyle.
Eat everyday at same time as what will be your meal time, have breakfast daily at same time, then you will be less likely to binge later in the day and will also help you to boost up youmetabolism.
Drinking plenty of water is healthful in many reasons but won't help to boost your metabolism, it will help to cut down on the amount of calories you will eat.
Don't eat close to bedtime because doing it so won't increase your metabolism, but it will resist you to put on your weight by eating up extra calories.
There are many dietary supplements claim that these will help to accelerate individual's metabolism and help to burn calories or reduce weight. They attracts people who are overwhelmed to loosing their weight. So, people can't analyze that these can have some side effects. The fact is there's no magical stick or pill or bullet help to lose your weight. It only comes down by doing proper physical activities and taking proper diet.
My sister is carrying. She is now in 4th month and will be going to deliver twins. We came to know that she is suffering from thyroid. Doctors are saying that it is common that this disease will trigger during pregnancy and will be automatically cured after delivery. Is this correct? Do we need to take extra care? Will this be a problem for babies?
My daughter 20 years suffering from white secretion due to that menstrual cycle. Is there any medicine for that please help.
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - The woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
1. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
2. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
3. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
4. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dermatologist.