Find numerous Endocrinologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Endocrinologists with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Endocrinologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adult Diabetes Treatment
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Type 1 Diabetes Treatment
Treatment Of Childhood Diabetes
Diabetic Diet Counseling
Dilatation And Curettage (D C) Procedure
Egg Donation Procedure
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Food Plan Preparation
Submit a review for Dr. O.s SanthoshYour feedback matters!
Can hyperthyroid be cured with proper medication at the age of 20. Or if medicines cured thyroid then how many years we will have to continuously consume medicines. Is it for lifetime for all the peoples .whether person is old or in youth stage.
I had a daibaties pre lunch is 250 post lunch is 340 I take medicine 1ttablet of wallaphase 1000 mg is this is ok with me or I have to change medicine
Do you have an extremely low reading of thyroxine or T4, it means that you are suffering from an under active thyroid disease called hypothyroidism. With this condition, your thyroid glands fail to make sufficient thyroid hormones. The thyroid gland releases hormones, which travel all over your bloodstream and affect all parts of the body. Thyroid controls how the cells of the body use energy from food via the metabolism process, which in turn affects the body’s temperature, heartbeat and burning of calories. Lack of thyroid hormones slows down the body’s functions, reduces your energy and the metabolism is disrupted.
Causes of hypothyroidism
The primary cause of this condition is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Thyroiditis refers to an inflammation of your thyroid gland. Hashimoto’s thyroiditis is an autoimmune disorder in which extra antibodies are produced which destroy the thyroid gland. Viral infections may also lead to thyroiditis.
Other causes of the condition are as follows:
- Radiation therapy to the neck region for the treatment of several cancers like lymphoma may damage the cells present in the thyroid gland. Hence, the gland cannot secrete hormones properly.
- Radioactive iodine treatment is undertaken by people having an overactive thyroid gland. Radiation destroys the thyroid gland cells and leads to hypothyroidism.
- Certain medicines used to treat heart problems, cancer and psychiatric diseases may affect the thyroid gland and lead to hypothyroidism.
- Surgeries undertaken for removing the thyroid also lead to hypothyroidism.
- Iodine is required by the thyroid gland to produce hormones. A low amount of iodine in your diet and body may lead to hypothyroidism.
Risks factors of hypothyroidism
Usually women, especially older women are more likely to get hypothyroidism than men. The factors which determine if you are at a risk of acquiring the condition are as follows:
- Premature graying of hair
- Autoimmune disorders like type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, vitiligo, celiac disease, Addison’s disease and many more.
- Bipolar disorder
- Turner’s syndrome
- Down’s syndrome
The symptoms of hypothyroidism are as follows:
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Hair loss and dry hair
- Fatigue and tiredness
- A slow heart rate
- An increased sensitivity towards cold
- Swelling of the thyroid gland or goiter
- Gaining weight unusually or great difficulty in losing weight
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
If you observe the symptoms of hypothyroidism, you should consult a doctor who will prescribe several blood tests, such as the thyroid stimulating hormone test and the T4 or thyroxine test. Based on the results, a treatment method is adopted.
Diabetes during pregnancy is known as gestational diabetes. It is interesting to note that the chances of getting gestational diabetes, is one of the most common complication of pregnancy. It has increased by almost 40%. Also, gestational diabetes not only affects the health of the mother, but also the health of the baby. What usually happens with gestational diabetes is that the blood sugar level, of both the mother and the baby go above the normal level.
Ayurveda can help treat this disease. Here are the most common Ayurveda remedies for gestational diabetes.
- Gurmaar: Gurmaar, called "The Sugar Killer" is also known as Gymnema sylvestre in medical jargon. Gurmaar also contains gymnemic acid molecules, which are crucial because they have an anti-diabetic effect. They work by combining with glucose molecules, which are in the blood stream. These stop the glucose from entering the bloodstream.
- Karela: Karela is commonly known as bitter gourd and its biological name is Momordica charantia. It has anti-diabetic properties and also contains many other micronutrients, which are crucial in preventing the complications which arise from gestational diabetes.
- Vizaysaar: Vizaysaar comes from the bark of a tree whose biological name is Pterocarpus marsupium. It is very useful for diabetes. If you immerse the wood of Vizaysaar in water overnight and then drink it, your blood sugar levels are expected to fall.
- Saptrangi: Saptrangi is biologically known as Salacia oblonga. Just like Vizaysaar, it is a tree whose bark is immersed in water and then drunk by the patient suffering from diabetes. You will know that the water is ready for drinking when it turns brown, which usually happens overnight. It is also being studied in Western herbal schools in addition to Ayurveda nowadays.
- Tulsi: Tulsi is a holy plant in Hindu mythology and is known as Ocimum sanctum in biological terms. It is worshiped as a holy plant because it has tremendous medicinal properties including treating many types of cancers, cough, cold, sore throat as well as reducing blood sugar.
- Ashwagandha: The medical name for ashwagandha is Withania somnifera. It is another great remedy for diabetes.