Find numerous Physiotherapists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Physiotherapists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Physiotherapists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Hip Disorders
Neuro Physiotherapy Treatment
Treatment of Knee Injury
Pregnancy Exercise Therapy
Treatment of Sports Injuries
Treatment of Splinting
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Heat Therapy Treatment
Post Pregnancy Classes
Orthopedic Physical Therapy
Treatment of Shin Splints
Submit a review for Dr. Novlyn BarrettoYour feedback matters!
My mom is getting pains in the joints specially hand n back. Even if she does a little heavy work it's starts paining. Her age is abt 50 yrs. If she is under medications the pain goes away temporarily but as soon as the period for medications is over it start over again. Kindly suggest what need to be done.
I am 25 year old male and have a backache for last 3 months. I have used pain relief ointment for many days but haven't got any relief.
I met with an accident and my left foot got affected near the toe, I thought it was fracture or perhaps ligament was broken, but it was not. I took medicines but still not cured and the place is still swollen and as the days passes by, the pain increasing. Please advice what should I do as the pain reached upto my knee.
Sir I am 24 year old boy from few months I have little pain in my heel when walk few hours or doing any works overall I am fit but I really hurt when start paining every time when I was walking on hard surface it start paining pls tell me why it is so?
I am a student and from last two months I fell back pain and neck pain while studying for long hours my weight has also increases.
I am facing knee pain since 2 years. The pain is more morning hours and night hours. So please advise me how can I avoid this.
I have a desk job and for the last three month I have back pain and I want to know if there will be problem in future.
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a type of arthritis that affects the spine. This chronic disease is caused due to inflammation of the joints in the spine and usually affects young men. It causes the vertebrae to grow or fuse together, causing a rigid spine. Actually, it affects the discs in between the vertebral column. These discs get swollen, causing a limitation of spine motility. It is an autoimmune disorder and its symptoms are lower back pain and stiffness, which usually moves to the legs.
- The deformity due to AS can be mild or severe. In extreme cases, the patient gets a stooped spine.
- Early diagnosis can prevent significant deformity as well as help in controlling the pain and stiffness.
- Allopathy doesn’t really know the real reasons for this disease and here is where Ayurveda scores.
- According to Ayurveda, AS is caused due to aggravated vata or wind, which causes an imbalance in vata dosha.
Ayurvedic treatment starts with detoxification and elimination of toxins. It relies heavily on the right diet and lifestyle as well as Ayurvedic herbal preparations. The panchakarma techniques called kati vasti, sarvangadhara and patrapinda svedana are very beneficial too. The basic explanation for the disorder is that AS occurs due to an accumulation of ama or toxins in the body. Where ever ama deposits in the body, pain is caused. Ayurvedic treatments aim at digesting the ama by using herbs as medicine and balancing the aggravated vata.
- Herbs used in the treatment of AS are dry ginger (saunth), guggul, turmeric, fenugreek, ashwagandha and giloy. Gugul, curcumin, amlaki, haritaki, and ashwagandha are all very effective in treating AS.
- Avoid getting constipated and ensure proper evacuation of bowels.
- Include ghee in your diet for lubrication and for lowering the vata dosha.
- Apply heat on the affected areas to control the pain and stiffness.
- Eat light foods and strictly avoid oily foods and curd which increase ama.
- Avoid sleeping during the daytime.
- Yoga asanas like pawana muktasana, bhujangasana, dhanurasana, paschimottanasana and vakrasana should be practised regularly.
- The practice of pranayamas such as and shodhana, chandrabhedi sheethali and bhramari also helps.
- Chewing 2–3 raw garlic buds on an empty stomach in the morning with water helps in alleviating lumbar pain in AS.
- Use a powdered preparation of dried ginger root, celery seeds and cumin seeds in equal quantities with rock salt for taste, and have one teaspoon of this mixture with warm water at bedtime to reduce flatulence as well as lumbar stiffness. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ayurveda.
Hi, I am an software engineer since December 2011 to may 2015, currently I am not working. The reason behind this actually I got thrombosis in brain. Actually I was getting pain from past 2 years back, but not recognized the reason behind this, after got treatment by some good doctors, now feeling better, so I would like to know about thrombosis in details and better treatment for it. Thanks.
Hi, I have pain on left side knee joint. I feel severe pain in my left side knee when I get up from my bed or from sitting position. Can not stand on left side knee for some time till I walk for some time. While standing I do not feel any pain. Also I feel lot pain around left and right elbows.
Sir have small gap in my right leg knee I can't bend my leg also pain in my foot also I am suffering thyroid last 14 year.
I am 24 years old, my right leg ankle pain after 2 weeks, whin I playing football on ground, this time occur this fact of my right leg ankle. So how can I realised this syndrome?
Am suffering from back pain from the past two months. I works in shifts. Can you please suggest to take preventive steps to reduce my stress.
My aunt is a housewife whenever she walks like for a distance of around 100 metres or so she reports of heavy knee pain she tried many pain reliefs, ointment but they dint fetch any good results. So can you suggest any good pain relief for her. Her age is around 35 & she is a mother of 2 children.
Backache is the oldest agony that the mankind suffers from. In the prehistoric era, even the angels must have suffered from it. Though in the ancient Indian literature, no direct mention of this disease is made, it can be safely assumed that in the epic period of Mahabharata, Bhishma Pitamaha must have had some backache when he was lying on the bed of thorns.
Whatever be the exact aetiology of backache, it is for the medical scientist and the Pundits in the field to determine. Human back is a big Pandora box. Causes for backache are many. They range from a thorn prick in the foot to prolapsed intervertebral disc in the spine. Even, a trauma to human pride can cause backache. It will be no exaggeration to compare the backache with an elephant that the six blind men wanted to know about. One of them called it a pillar, other called it a wall, third called it a rope, fourth it a flap of leather, and so on. Similarly many scientists have approached the problem of backache from different angles and have ascribed as many reasons as its causes and suggested remedies for the same; depending on their own concept of human back - its structure and functions.
In last few decades, much scientific work has been done; data compiled and analysed to determine the exact cause of backache. It is estimated that at one point or other in their lives, eight out of every ten people on earth suffer from this universal affliction. It can strike almost everyone, the young and the old, male and female, people of all classes 7 and profession. Biggest leaders of the world have suffered from backache. President John F Kennedy spent hours in the soothing comforts of White House rocking chair, only to nurse his backache,
This was his wartime injury.
The largest group of people who suffer from this are the young housewives who have small children and are fully occupied at home. They have no outside job. When they have backache, a double burden is imposed on the family. If the person affected is the chief bread earner, then the situation becomes all the more worse.
Backache is not a killing disease, but it certainly cripples the individual for the time being. No one except the victim can truly understand the complete sense of helplessness and despair that overcomes, once an energetic adult who is suddenly struck down by the devastating, usually temporary ailment. The victim's world quickly shrinks, often limited at the onset to bed or couch. Work and household rituals are totally ignored due to pain. Dressing becomes torturous, a visit to toilet is a major expedition, sitting in chair for reading or eating can be an agony. Sex becomes virtually impossible. Even after the pain subsides, the sufferer wonders, almost at every turn, whether it will strike again.
Beyond the personal grief, back pain exerts a staggering socio-economic cost. Million and millions of work days are lost each year because of a backache. It is the single largest cause of worker absenteeism in all the countries of the world.
The remedies are simple and effective in most of cases. The most important being 'not to get tense and nervous'. An objective personal assessment of the disability with a relaxed mind and a wilful relaxation of the whole body coupled with a few pills and postures ( remedial exercises) is perhaps the secret of success in getting rid of this man's oldest agony. But in some cases even surgery or psychotherapy may be needed.
In the present series, I have attempted, step by step, how to modify the style of daily living so that this 'devastating though temporary ailment' can be prevented.
The bones and joints orchestrate very well with each other for smooth movements of various joints and the spine. However, due to various reasons, some identified and others unknown, there could be inflammation of the areas where the bones join the muscles leading to impaired movement. The range of motion could be reduced or it could be painful, thereby, limiting movement. Spondyloarthritis includes a group of inflammatory diseases that involves the bones and joints and enthuses which are areas where the ligaments and tendons attach to the bones. This causes conditions like plantar fasciitis, ankylosing spondylitis, psoriatic arthritis and reactive arthritis. The term spondyloarthritis is a blanket term to describe any of the above-mentioned conditions.
Read on to know a little more in detail about it:
Causes: While the exact etiology is not identified for sure, most patients with spondyloarthritis have an autosomal dominant gene (HLA-B27). Chronic infections could trigger the onset of the disease too.
1. In all forms of spondyloarthritis, there is always inflammation of the spine, joints and entheses. If the fingers or toes are involved, there could be swelling leading to what are typically known as 'sausage digits'.
2. There is sacroiliitis which is inflammation of the joint between the pelvis and the spine, and spondylitis which is inflammation of the joints between the spines. 3. Family history and autosomal dominant gene.
A detailed medical history and physical examination form the cornerstone of a confirmed diagnosis. In addition, radiographic examination and diagnostic blood tests also could be done to confirm the diagnosis. Radiographs, especially, of the spine and the low back show typical changes including sacroilitis in suspected cases of spondyloarthritis. If the spine does not show these changes, but there is a high likelihood of spondyloarthritis, then MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) can be used to confirm the diagnosis.
As a final step, a blood test for the HLA-B27 gene can also be confirmatory. However, it is not true that a person with the gene will definitely develop the disease.
- The most important aspect of treatment is the use of pain medications and anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) which help manage pain and inflammation.
- Corticosteroid injections may sometimes be given directly into the joint spaces or the membranes to provide quick relief of these symptoms.
- ESWT / RSWT has a definite role to cure enthesopathy. Plantar fasciitis, and achillodynia can be cured with ESWT. Even small joints of hand and feet are amenable to treatment with RSWT. It is nonoperative and noninvasive treatment and has no side effects.
- Very rarely, stronger drugs such as methotrexate or sulfasalazine may be used.
- Another set of drugs known as TNF-blockers (tumor necrotizing factor blockers) are also shown to be highly effective in controlling the pain of the spine and joints.
- In very severe cases, surgery may be required to correct joint damages or correct severe degenerative changes.
- Exercise plays a very vital role in controlling the issue and improving range of motion. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a doctor and ask a free question.