Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Veterinarians in India. You will find Veterinarians with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Veterinarians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatments For Birds
Neurosurgery In Dogs And Cats
Services For Birds
Treatment For Reptiles
Veterinary Dental Prophylaxis
Veterinary Surgery Soft Tissue
Submit a review for Dr. Nagesh ReddyYour feedback matters!
Chocolate is made from cocoa, and cocoa beans contain caffeine and a related chemical compound called theobromine, which is the real danger.
The problem is that dogs metabolize theobromine much more slowly than humans, reported by Denver veterinarian Kevin Fitzgerald, PhD, tells WebMD.
“The buzz we get from eating chocolate may last 20 to 40 minutes, but for dogs it lasts many hours,” he says. “After 17 hours, half of the theobromine a dog has ingested is still in the system.”
Theobromine is also toxic to cats, but there are very few reported cases of theobromine poisoning in felines because they rarely eat chocolate.
Dogs, on the other hand, will eat just about anything.
Even small amounts of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Truly toxic amounts can induce hyperactivity, tremors, high blood pressure, a rapid heart rate, seizures, respiratory failure, and cardiac arrest.
- Never leave a pet in a car/vehicle alone, even for few minutes. The temperature inside the car goes up substantially compared to outside temperature and can cause life threatening heat stroke in pets.
- Change timings of walks – switch to early morning walks before sun heats up, and late in the night when environment cools down – May be 8AM-8PM!
- Keep ample drinking water available all the time for the pets!
- If you are housing your pets in A/C rooms, make sure to avoid “Temperature Shock”. I.E. Do not take them out immediately from a A/C room, or vice versa. Switch off the A/C let the room temperature become normal and then take them out, so as to minimize temperature difference to which pets are exposed.
- Watch out for TICKS! - Summer is active tick season, and it is better to be safe than sorry. Talk to us for the preventive strategies for tick infestations so as to protect your pets from the tick borne diseases.
My female spitz aged 2yr limps frequently, as if she has pain in her hind legs. What could be the possible reason?
My dog a german shepherd of 2.5 months licks very little and nip bites a lot. Also, during barking foaming at mouth starts. Kindly advice whether it is normal.
1. Make sure your dog has unlimited access to fresh water all the time.
2. Make sure your dog has access to shade when outside.
3. Take walks during the cooler hours of the day. Avoid 5-7 pm evening as the steam emitting from the road can kill your pet with heat stroke!
4. When walking, try to stay off of hot surfaces (like coal tar roads) because it can burn your dog's paws.
5. If you feel it's hot outside, it's even hotter for your pet - make sure your pet has a means of cooling off.
6. Keep your dog free of external insects (fleas, ticks) - consult your veterinarian about the best product for your pet.
7. Consider clipping or shaving dogs with long coats (talk to your veterinarian first to see if it's appropriate for your pet).
8. If you have a short nose breed like pugs or bulldogs, keep a Turkish towel with you whenever traveling. Whenever you notice he/she is panting heavily, you can soak the towel in water and wrap it around his body to have a local cooling effect.
Sir I have3 year old gsd nd she got crossed with Street dog nd I don't want her to conceive but next day I had already arranged for a matting so now what should I do. After the drug injection should I go for matting option the very next day.
My German shepherd aged about 5 years is not having food expect in evening. Today my mom gave him bath and noticed that on left ear edge a area about half a inch is swelling which seems like if some water like substance is in it. Also upper part of left eye is in same condition. Kindly help me in this regard with some effective medicines. Regards
How to take care of 35 days old spitz puppy. About his diet and daily routines. About his vaccinations and other medications.
Any change in normal behavior suggesting either undue aggression or depression.
Running aimlessly and attacking others without provocation.
Becomes too drowsy and withdraws to a corner.
Change in voice/bark.
Refusal to feed or eating objects like stone, paper, wood, metal pieces etc.