Find numerous Audiologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Audiologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Audiologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. Ms. Supriya SharmaYour feedback matters!
Is there any possible treatment available for noise induced hearing loss? The loss is 40db. Can homeopathy help? Is there any medicine that can regenerate ear nerves and cure hearing?
I am 20 hear old. I go to collage and sleep time is very less around 5 hours. My stamina and energy has gone. What to do help me out?
I have hearing issue in right side and that too from middle position Can it cure without using ear aid machine.
Hello Sir. I am having my ears blocked for last 15 days, resulting to that I have slight loss of hearing. I have visited a e.n.t. Doctor and he has said the bone in my nose is tilted making it not enough room for the air to go, that's why your ear is blocked. And my nose needs to be operated in a month. But my question is that nose in the bone is tilted. Ok, I got it. But how come from only last 15 days I am having this problem? The bone has not tilted in last 15 days, right? Please tell me the solution.
Hearing loss is a common sensory problem that generally develops with increasing age or due to prolonged or persistent exposure to loud noises. It is one of the most typical problems that occurs throughout the world. If you are suffering from partial hearing loss, you may find ways of keeping in touch with your family and friends. If you are not suffering from such the following may help you keep your hearing intact for years to come.
Types of hearing loss:
There are two main types of hearing loss:
1. Conductive Hearing Loss where the problem lies in the middle ear, eardrum or ossicles. A conductive hearing loss affects the passage of sound between the eardrum and the inner ear. Sound passes down the ear canal to the ear drum and through the middle ear, where the sound is transmitted across the middle ear by the three bones called the ossicles to the inner ear.
Causes of conductive hearing loss:
- Malformation of outer ear, ear canal, or middle ear structures
- Fluid in the middle ear from colds
- Ear infection (otitis media - an infection of the middle ear in which an accumulation of fluid may interfere with the movement of the eardrum and ossicles
- Poor Eustachian tube function
- Perforated eardrum
- Benign tumors
- Impacted earwax
- Infection in the ear canal
- Foreign body in the ear
2. Sensorineural Hearing Loss where there is damage in the inner ear, cochlea or hearing nerve. Sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) occurs when there is damage to the inner ear (cochlea), or to the nerve pathways from the inner ear to the brain. Most of the time, SNHL cannot be medically or surgically corrected. This is the most common type of permanent hearing loss.
Causes of sensorineural hearing loss:
- Exposure to loud noise
- Head trauma
- Virus or disease
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
- Hearing loss that runs in the family
- Aging (presbycusis)
- Malformation of the inner ear
- Meniere's Disease
Coping with Hearing Loss:
Antibiotics and eardrops are often prescribed to treat hearing loss and its symptoms. In many cases, people suffering from severe hearing loss use hearing aids. Hearing aids are tiny instruments that people use in their ears to make sounds louder. People who suffer from hearing loss cope with their problems through increased concentration and focus. The usual way involves reading the moving lips of the person while they talk. Prevention is better than cure and is the best solution to avoid long term hearing loss. Avoiding continuous loud noises, to the possible extent helps prevent hearing loss to a great extent. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
I am 19 year old I am suffering from hearing loss problem I need home based solution of it what should I do.
Hello Doctor, my cousin brother has never been in a relationship but has had a number of crushes/attractions (which he calls" love") over the years to an extent that at times he behaves like a psycho lover. His" love" lasts for at the most 2 months and he is well aware of it. Though, at times, I make it clear that I am not going to hear about his irrational and childish activities, he still keeps on sharing them with me as well as all his relatives and friends and is dependant on us for suggestions. Currently, he is in love with some one in his workplace who has made it very clear that she is" not available" But, even then he says" he desperately wants her" I have made him understand that he should behave when in office as it might have a negative impact on his career. Although, he is a diligent employee, he still keeps pursuing this girl in question and his antiques have unnerved a few of his coworkers in the process. Everyone jokes about him. But, he does not get any hint that people are having a negative impression about his family too. He has always been pampered by most of his relatives and has had psychological problems as a child too. Please suggest a way so that I can help him understand as to how he can be a rational and responsible being.
Sir, I can not listen properly my hearing power is very low I cannot listen from short distance please help me tell me some clue so that I can resolve this.
My mother is 48 years old and she is unable to hear slowly she is hearing very loudly. Please suggest me the solution. Operation/ lager treatment/hearing machine. What is the better for her. She is suffering from last 8 yrs.
Doctor mujhe kuchh dino se mouth me namak ka swad bilkul fika lag raha hai jabki baki sab cheezon ka swad bilkul theek lag raha hai. Iska kya karan ho sakta hai or kya upchar hai ?
I have 50-60 percent hearing loss in one ear due to a slap. Dr. has prescribed me hearing aid of Rs-17000 which is not affordable for me. I searched online and found it and price start around 500+ so pls tell whether it's functioning /working will be different or it is just the quality of the aids. Pls tells me that should I buy and use it or not.
The ear has three parts – outer, middle, and inner – through which sounds waves pass through. On reaching the inner ear, the sound waves are transmitted through a fluid medium which is carried through to the brain to produce “sound.” Hearing loss can be due to problems anywhere in this circuit – from the outer ear to nerve issues in the middle ear.
There are two main types of hearing loss
Conductive hearing loss, where problems in the outer or middle ear cause problem conducting sound waves into the inner ear
Sensorineural hearing loss, where there is a problem in the nervous portion of the hearing process
Conductive hearing loss occurs due to poor conduction of sound waves to the middle ear, where it is processed to perceive the sound. Conductive hearing loss can happen due to the following reasons:
- Wax: Excessive wax accumulated in the outer ear can prevent passage of sound into the middle ear
- Infection: The outer or middle ear could be infected, affecting passage of sound waves
- Tear in the eardrum: The eardrum is a membrane through which sound waves pass. A tear due to trauma or injury can hamper this process, leading to hearing loss.
- Impact: When there is a bang on the head, there could be temporary hearing loss due to disruption of the hearing system
- Hereditary: A lot of times, hearing loss is hereditary and an exact cause may not be traceable
- Ear tumor: Middle ear tumors can also cause conductive hearing loss
- Abnormal growth: Abnormal bone growth in the middle ear can cause blockage, leading to hearing loss
- Post-surgical: The ear is a highly complex structure, and while surgical corrections are being done to treat a condition, it is very likely that other parts can be damaged
In most of the conditions mentioned above, there are some sound waves which pass through, so conductive hearing loss is often partial, wherein the person can hear but it is faint. Very rarely, it is complete where the person goes completely deaf.
This would depend on the cause of the hearing loss.
- Clearing up the wax can lead to improved hearing
- A tear in the eardrum or fluid buildup would need surgical repair to restore hearing
- Infections might require treatment with antibiotics and pain killers
- Tumors or bone growths would also require surgical correction for restoring hearing
- For outer ear blocks, audiometry is done only after the blocks are cleared
- If post correction, the hearing is not completely restored, hearing aids can be used, which often results in complete restoration. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an Ent Specialist.
Sir, I am hearing Impaired using a hearing aid. I have an interview in the coming few days. I feel my hearing ability has come down a bit. Now losing confidence, worrying about how I face the interviewer. Please suggest me some tips how to hear properly (please don't suggest me to go to audiologist for tuning or hearing aid which was already done)
My sister's new born baby doesn't respond her voice and any other noise. He was an 10 days old baby. Although hearing test is finished at hospital since 3 days old. According to test, result is good. But my sister worry why baby doesn't respond till now. How should we do?
It can cause irreversible hearing loss.