Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 39 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Electroconvulsive Therapy (Ect) Treatment
Critical Care Procedures
Treatment Of Learning Disorders
Management of Emergency Conditions
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Manual Therapy Treatment
Memory Improvement Techniques
Submit a review for Dr. ManiYour feedback matters!
I lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me.
I forget always to do our daily life work like Key of something wallet etc N also what I have learn today I forget with in few hour What should I do doc?
My 21 year daughter has been diagnosed for cod, besides this she is facing problem of pcod since last 3 years. She is on glyciphage 1mg tablet (od), since last three years. Please advise.
My friend has this strange disorder. His anger is out of control sometimes. He just does not listen to anyone. Keeps on abusing someone for hours without stopping, thinking of consequences or listening to anyone. Can this be treated somehow?
I am unable to sleep properly as suffering from depression and is not getting cured as treatment going for years what to do?
I am an employed man of 38 years with a little family connectivity due to distance of my working place from my abode. For last fifteen years ,Sometimes I suffer from backache, loss of appetite, energy loss. Is it the symptoms of depression? What is the remedy?
I am aged 54. I am diabetic since last 12 years and have bp too. But I am consuming a lot of alcohol daily. Beer sometimes 5 to 6 bottles a day. Is it bad for my age and my diseases? am unable to stop alcohol. Can you please advise as to how I can stop alcohol. In Spite of taking so much of alcohol, the fasting glucose is 125 and after food PP is 180. Pl advise.
My father become unconsieous for minute.... while smoking he will get cough and then my father become unconsieous ...my father start smoking from last 30 years and he cont live without it ....pls help me
Whenever I try to make my self fit physically I suddenly get ill because of which I loses my strength please suggest me something so that I can remain fit both physically and mentally as recently I have started doing workout.
Fear of Alcohol Withdrawals
One justification that alcoholics will use for not giving up the abuse is their fear of alcohol withdrawals. The process of entering sober living can involve an uncomfortable few days, but the rewards that come afterwards make it well worth it. The reality is that alcohol detox symptoms are rarely that uncomfortable and some people experience very little in the way of unpleasantness. The experience that the individual has with withdrawals can depend as much on their expectations as anything else.
Alcohol Withdrawals Defined
The word withdrawals or withdrawal are most commonly used when describing symptoms that people experience when they abruptly discontinue or decrease their intake of medications or recreational drugs. These symptoms begin to occur whenever the level of these chemicals in the bloodstream falls to a certain point. Alcoholics can experience the beginning of withdrawal symptoms as part of their hangover. This is why many of these individuals will feel ill until they manage to consume their first drink of the day. Another way of describing withdrawal symptoms would be to say that they are painful physical and psychological symptoms that occur with the discontinuance of addictive substances.
Symptoms of Alcohol Withdrawals
The most common symptoms that people are likely to experience when withdrawing from alcohol include:
* Feelings of anxiety and nervousness
* They often experience a feeling of fuzziness in their cognitive functioning ? they are unable to think straight.
* Inability to sleep or even get comfortable in the bed. When they do fall asleep they may experience disturbing and vivid dreams.
* Nausea and vomiting.
* They feel shaky and easily startled.
* Body aches
* Shaking or trembling
* They feel tired and lack motivation to do anything.
* Cravings for alcohol
* Mild symptoms of depression.
* Sweating or clammy skin.
* Inability to concentrate.
* The feeling that something bad is about to happen.
* Mood swings.
* Changes to vital signs such as increased heart rate or elevated blood pressure.
* Upset stomach
Symptoms of alcohol withdrawal usually begin about 5 to 10 hours following the last drink. They reach their peak between 48 and 72 hours and can persist for a few weeks into recovery. In most instances the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal are mild, but there can be more severe symptoms known as delirium tremens (DTs) ? these can be fatal.
Dangers of Delirium Tremens
Those individuals who have been heavily abusing alcohol for many years are at risk of developing the DTs when they give up alcohol. Up until a few years ago the mortality rate from these severe withdrawals was as high as 35%, but it currently stands at about 10%. The risk of death is still there so it is vital that anyone who is likely to experience delirium tremens should be medically supervised during withdrawals. The symptoms of the DTs can include:
* Convulsions similar to clonic tonic seizures where the individual loses consciousness and shakes violently.
* Intense hallucinations that will usually involve moving animals such as rats and snakes. Some people will also experience the hallucination that insects are crawling on their skin.
*Confusion associated with the DTs can be quite severe.
* Changes to vital signs are likely to be more extreme than with usual withdrawal symptoms.
* People can become highly anxious and agitated.
In most instances the symptoms of delirium tremens will appear within the first 72 hours. If the individual makes it past this time without experiencing the DTs they will less at risk of them ? although not entirely risk free. A physician can use a special assessment to judge the likelihood of people developing this severe form of alcohol withdrawals. Those who intend to stop drinking are advised to have this assessment.
Causes of Alcohol Withdrawals
Those individuals who abuse alcohol develop a tolerance for this drug. The body is wonderfully adaptive, and it can adjust functioning to accommodate alcohol abuse. It does this so well that the sudden removal of alcohol from the bloodstream is a shock to the system. It has to struggle to regain normal functioning, and the withdrawal symptoms occur while this is happening.
Alcohol withdrawals also usually involve psychological symptoms that can be just as uncomfortable as the physical ones.
Dangers of Expecting the Worst in Alcohol Withdrawals
One of the best known motivational speakers of the twentieth century, Normal Vincent Peale, once claimed that:
> If you paint in your mind a picture of bright and happy expectations, you put yourself into a condition conducive to your goal.
The expectations that people have about the future does have an impact on what they will experience. It means that if they are expecting their withdrawal symptoms to be unpleasant they probably will be. Their fear of what is going to happen will mean that they are aware of every single niggle or discomfort, and they can easily blow these out of proportion. This is because when people go looking for trouble they are almost certain to find it.
The Buddha is reported to have given a good explanation for why this happens. He uses the example of a man being hit by an arrow. The pain associated with this event is going to cause discomfort, but the way the person reacts to it can make things worse. If they panic and expect the worst then this is like being hit by a second arrow. Their mental attitude has led to a doubling of their pain. The exact same thing can happen with withdrawal symptoms if people are not careful about their expectations.
Importance of Distraction When Dealing with Alcohol Withdrawals
Distraction is a powerful tool for helping people make it through the early days of recovery. This is because the worst thing that the individual can do is remain focused on their discomfort and cravings. Distraction means turning away from the original focus or interest. When people do this it means that they can at least temporarily escape the stimulus that was making them uncomfortable. Examples of the type of distraction that people might use in early recovery include:
* Watching television ? comedy shows can be a particularly good form of distraction.
* Listening to music, but this should not be anything that reminds the individual of drinking.
* Going for a walk can be a great distraction, and the fresh air also tends to make people feel better.
* Vigorous exercise is another effective solution, but this may not be appropriate for those who are in early recovery and have not exercised in a long time.
* Spending time with other people.
* Playing computer games, though this can have its? own complications for compulsive behavior.
* Reading a book is another option but some individuals may not have the concentration for this in early recovery. Audiobooks may be an effective solution for those who have trouble reading.
Advice For Making It Through Alcohol Withdrawals
Most people will only have mild withdrawal symptoms that will not be any worse than an episode of influenza. It is the knowledge that the individual is able to stop the symptoms by drinking again that makes them more difficult to cope with. In order to make it successfully through alcohol withdrawals it is helpful to:
* It is important to keep in mind that the unpleasant symptoms are only temporary, and the rewards for sitting them out are important.
* The worst thing that people can do is to wallow in their suffering. It is best to keep the mind distracted as much as possible.
* If people have the right mental attitude they may experience very little in the way of symptoms when they give up alcohol.
* Those individuals who expect the worst may be more likely to struggle with their withdrawal symptoms.
* If there is any suggestion that the individual may be progressing towards delirium tremens they will need to medical assistance right away.
* When people feel like they are about to give into the cravings they should delay for an hour. The cravings are likely to lessen during that time and if not they only need to commit to one more hour ? by just keep on committing to one more hour the individual makes it through this stage of weakness.
* It can be helpful to write a letter at the start of the process where the individual writes in detail about their reasons for wanting to quit, and their expectations for a future life in sobriety. If they feel like their motivation is beginning to wane they can look back on this letter for inspiration.
* It can be helpful to remember that many millions of people have successfully made it through the withdrawal process. There is no reason for why the individual cannot do the exact same thing.
* The companionship of other people can be a great help at this stage of recovery.
* The individual will greatly increase their chances of making it through the detox process by entering rehab. Here they will have all the resources they need tom make the process go as smoothly as possible ? they will also be protected from temptation.
* A physician can prescribe medications that will ease discomfort during withdrawals. In most instances such drugs will only be available in a medical setting or when the individual is going through detox in rehab.
* There is no requirement for people to feel miserable during this period of adjustment. Laughter is one of the most effective medicines on the planet and is highly recommended.
quercus,unc vom,crotolus hire,selenium,syphilinium,apomorphinum,thea chenesis,striphanthus his,solidago vir,chloroforminium etc
In this condition, the mouth opening is reduced and the patient has burning sensation in mouth while consumption of spicy and hot foods.
Patients with Submucous fibrosis should quit the habit of betel nut and tobacco, should take an antioxidant rich diet. They should visit an Oral Medicine Specialist for its treatment so that cancer can be prevented.
I am 22 years old female. I am having OCD since two years. I am having Fluxoin, Lonzep, ModAlert tablets. Yet I am not able to completely overcome my OCD. I have OCD while studying. I repeat lines and sentences when I study. I have a very anxious nature. When I am tensed, I do the repetitive actions more. I am not finding any relief from medicines I am taking and counselling I am going through, I still have OCD. I want to know some tips and suggestions so as to deal with OCD and also reduce my anxiety and lead a happy life.
There are certain aspects of our lives, which we may feel are not upto the mark and you might want to change them. For example, consider a situation that you suffer from dwarfism and people mock you about your height. You may wish that you were taller so that you are not ridiculed anymore. You may feel physically inadequate and stay depressed quite frequently.
No matter what the odds are, you should be able to find a support system somewhere, be it in your friends, family or within yourself. There are a number of methods which you may find useful in dealing with these kinds of situations.
- Mediation: Meditation may help in focusing your mind and keeping your mind free from negative thoughts. It helps in improving your concentration and broadens your mind. It may also help in seeing situations in a different manner and in a different light thus, helps you overcome difficult episodes in life.
- See things from a different vantage point:Usually we see things from one single standpoint and perceive them in a single manner. It is advised to see the same thing through multiple viewpoints and multiple vantage points in order to get a broader understanding of the entire situation. This helps in making a more logical and balanced decision.
- Focus on the positives: Let’s understand with the help of a simple anecdote. One day a teacher gave a student a white piece of paper with a black dot at the center and asked the student what he thought of the paper. The student said that there was a black dot on the paper. Usually, most people tend to focus on the black dot and not the white space surrounding it. Similarly, in life, you should see the positives instead of concentrating only on the negative aspects. This will help you sail through a number of difficult stages.
- Build resilience: Being resilient is a very good quality to have, as it can help you overcome a lot of setbacks in life. Problems are a part of life as they might result from external circumstances which you will have no control over. Hence, it is always wise to accept the situation and move on in life.