Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. Mahesh GowdaYour feedback matters!
Depression in children is not a very uncommon phenomenon. But if the feeling of sadness persists over a period of time with little or no change to their behavior, then it can be seen as a symptom of depression. Children who are suffering from depression need immediate and utmost care as negligence may cause severe long term effects on the child. Read on to find more about them.
Symptoms that indicate childhood depression vary. Some of the different symptoms which indicate depression are:
- Social withdrawal
- Feeling of worthlessness
- Difficulty in concentrating
- Reduced ability to function during events
- Continuous feelings of sadness
- Physical complaints
- Depression in children can be caused due to the combination of a multitude of reasons.
- Children from a family history of depression are more likely to be suffering from depression.
- Similarly if the parents suffer from depression then it is more than likely that the child will also suffer from depression.
- Children from conflicted families or children and teens who are prone to substance or alcohol abuse can suffer from depression.
- Reasons such as physical health, environment, genetic vulnerability or biochemical disturbance can lead to depression.
The treatment process of depression in children is similar to that of adults and can be treated with psychotherapy and medication. If your child is depressed consult a Pediatrician who after his or her diagnosis may refer you to a psychiatrist. The medical specialist will recommend psychotherapy or medication. In some instances, a child suffering from depression may be suicidal. Parents are advised to be vigilant and observe certain behavioral changes that the child may have adapted to or suddenly switched to. Some of the signs are mentioned below:
- Changes in eating, sleeping or activities
- Isolating oneself even from family
- Talking of suicide, feeling helpless or hopeless
- Increased risk taking behavior
- Substance abuse
- Giving away possessions
Psychotherapy or antidepressant medication use is usually depending on the predominant symptoms and the severity of depression. The best results often result from a combination of prescribed medication along with multiple sessions of psychotherapy. We must understand that depression is just another disease with is treatable like any other illness so do not hesitate in seeking professional help.
For e. G lost somebody close last year and since then feel very depressed and prefer keeping to myself all the time. Please help me.
I smoke 2-3 cigrate per day (4months) if I suddenly stop smoking and I quit. Does it cause any serious problem to my body.
I am 39 years n I had cardiac arest about one and half year ago. I am fine now but need to know how smoking can affect me. Does it thickens blood?
My son 2 years old who is not having regular food properly, we need to force him to have and he cries a lot to have his food. What is the best way to feed him. Need advice
Stress and sex is a bad combination, as it is a well known fact that it is because of stress that a person's love and intimate life often suffers. Listed below are few ways in which stress can affect your sex life:
- Negative body image: The hormones associated with stress are capable of affecting your metabolism. If you gain weight or feel sluggish, it makes you feel bad about your own body, which in turn hinders your desire to initiate sex. A lower self-image leads to less amount of sex and in turn, creates relationship problems. One of the main sources of stress can be your relationship; if you cannot nurture it, it might lead to elevation of stress.
- Negative effect on libido: Cortisol is a hormone that is produced by stress. It is needed by the body in small doses and over short periods of time. Increase in stress over a period of time results in increased levels of cortisol, which lead to suppression of sex hormones. Lower amount of sex hormones results in lower libido.
- Excessive drinking: It is of common knowledge that people drink to relieve stress. Maximum times, increased stress levels lead to excessive drinking. Men have difficulty having erections after they drink too much. In women, excess alcohol causes dehydration, resulting in reduced lubrication. These problems lead to dull sex.
- Impact on fertility and menstrual cycle: In women, stress affects the pituitary gland, which is responsible for the thyroid, ovaries and adrenal glands. Improper functioning of the ovaries can adversely affect the menstrual cycle. Periods might become irregular or menstruation might stop. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a sexologist.