Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. MaheshYour feedback matters!
I read your explanation regarding causes of toothache. However it did not cover my case. I have no cavity, decay, germs, etc. Due to the chewing of amla with honey daily morning, I got my layer of enamel thin and so I have toothache while eating something cold or sweets. Can you suggest any solution for this.
My teeth is so dirty because I smoke too much so please give me right solution for clean my teeth because after 2 days I have to in a party.
I have suffering from pain in my mouth and lips are so red can't eat any type of food only sweet things. Pls tell me what can I do?
Blood from mouth in the morning while I brushing my teeth and its happening from two weeks. Any suggestions what to do now? I don't know but its quite paining now.
Dental problems can be very painful and take the smile off your face completely. Those who have experienced sensitivity would vouch for it. It just will not allow you to enjoy the hot coffee or a favourite sweet or a cold smoothie. The pain that shoots down the tooth after any of these would leave the person shuddering.
The tooth has 3 layers, from the outside in these are the enamel, the dentin and the pulp. The outermost enamel is mineralized and the hardest structure in the body. The next layer, dentin, has fine tubules and when the enamel is worn off exposing the dentin, sensitivity sets in. The enamel is thinner in some portions of the tooth like the neck and the roots, therefore sensitivity onset is quicker in these areas.
Some of the common reasons for sensitivity are listed below:
- Tooth decay: As caries progresses from enamel to dentin, sensitivity sets in, especially to hot and cold foods.
- Wear and tear: Excessive brushing of teeth can lead to wearing of teeth, especially near the neck areas, leading to loss of enamel and resulting in sensitivity.
- Dental damage: Chipped or broken tooth can lead to sensitivity.
- Gingival disease: This leads to loss of gum cover over the tooth, leading to exposure of dentin and therefore sensitivity.
- Bruxism: Clenching of teeth, common in people with high levels of stress, can lead to enamel wearing and subsequent sensitivity.
- Dental treatment: Some dental procedures like scaling, crowns, root planing, and some fillings can cause transient sensitivity.
- Highly acidic food items: Citrus fruits, tomatoes, tea, etc. can lead to tooth sensitivity.
- Bleaching agents: Most tooth whitening agents result in sensitive teeth.
- Excessive use of mouthwash: The mouth rinses contain high amount of alcohol which can also lead to tooth sensitivity.
Management: As with all health conditions, the first step in management is to identify the problem. Whether it is dental decay or recent dental treatment, food habits or tooth whitening agents, the cause needs to be identified and then treatment begun accordingly.
- For lost enamel, be it decay or damage, the tooth again needs to be restored to its original form to cover the dentinal tubules and reduce sensitivity.
- For habits, be it food related or bruxism, in addition to treating the tooth, the habit per se needs to be addressed to prevent recurrence.
- For associated dental products like whitening agents or mouth rinses, talk to a dentist to switch to a less harmful product.
- De-sensitizing pastes are also available that can be used on a regular basis to reduce the problem.
Tooth sensitivity is annoying but there are ways to manage it effectively.
I am 25 year old and having gum bleeding since last 05 years . It bleeds when brush also. Please suggest me treatment. There is black spots also appears since one year
• pain in or around the ear
• headaches and neck aches
• tenderness of the jaw or jaw muscles
• jaw pain or soreness that is more prevalent in the morning or late afternoon
• jaw pain when chewing, biting or yawning
• difficulty opening and closing the mouth
• clicking or popping noises when opening the mouth
• sensitive teeth when no other dental problems can be found.