Find numerous Oncologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Oncologists with more than 40 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Oncologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Madhu Y C
Submit a review for Dr. Madhu Y CYour feedback matters!
Helath Tips on Cancer Prevention:
Cancer prevention are the ‘actions’ taken to lower or limit the possibilities of getting cancer.
Many things in our lifestyle, genes and environment around us affect our risk of getting cancer.
Researchers are studying different ways to prevent cancer, which include the following:
Ways to avoid things/factors known to cause cancer
Changes in lifestyle and diet
Detecting precancerous conditions early
Medicines to treat a precancerous condition or to keep cancer from occurring
Keep Away from Carcinogens
Any substance or agent known to increase the probability of getting cancer is called a carcinogen. Some known and established carcinogens can be
Cigarette smoking or tobacco use in any form
Infections - Human papilloma virus, Hepatitis B & C viruses, Human T-cell leukaemia virus, Epstein-Barr virus, Kaposi sarcoma virus etc
Radiation - UV rays of sun, radon gas and man-made radiation such as X-rays
Car exhaust fumes
Asbestos, some chemicals found in paints
Ways of living and habits which may affect the risk incidence of cancer could be
Diet - Red and processed meat, food additives, salty & pickled foods
Alcohol - Over indulgence in alcoholic drinks
Physical Activity - Obesity due to physical inactivity and lethargy
Environmental Risk Factors
Go for Cancer Screening
Detecting the cancer in precancerous stage or in its early stages can lead to a much better prognosis of the disease due to effective treatment and management.
There are various kinds of screening tests.
Physical exam and history:
A visual examination of the whole body to check general health and disease, like any new growth or lumps. A medical history of patient’s present health status, past illnesses and treatments will also be noted.
Laboratory screening tests:
Samples of urine, tissue or other substances in the body are taken; like Pap smear for cervical cancer, a biopsy from an abnormal growth or stool test for occult blood in colon cancers.
Sigmoidoscopy or colonoscopy for colon cancer
Screening procedures that take pictures of inside of the body like ultrasound, X-ray, CT scan or MRI.
Tests that look for gene mutations (changes) that could be linked to certain cancer. It is also known as gene testing or genome testing.
Explore Cancer Chemoprevention
Cancer chemoprevention is the use of natural or synthetic substances to reverse, suppress or prevent the development of cancer at the first place.
It is used by people who are at a higher risk of developing cancer, have a family history of cancer or those with a previous cancer.
Chemoprevention is not used to treat cancer but can lower the risk of cancer or slows down its development
Are you aware of the link between air pollution and cancer? Air pollution refers to the mixture of several harmful substances, which lead to various serious health hazards on exposure. The primary sources of air pollution are man-made, including fumes from automobiles and the smoke from burning fuels. Desert dust, radon gas, and several other natural sources of air pollution are equally dangerous. Air pollution is classified into outdoor and indoor air pollution. It is highly associated with increased risks of developing cancer. Smoking is considered to be one of the major agents, which pollute the air and increase the chances of cancer to a large extent.
Outdoor air pollution
- Outdoor air pollution is strongly linked with cancer development.
- As every person is exposed to some form of air pollution, it has a more harmful effect on the whole population across the globe as a general threat.
- A certain part of outdoor air pollution referred to as PM 2.5, or solid dust particles, are highly responsible for the development of cancer.
- The chances of cancer increase with the increase in PM 2.5 levels in the air.
Indoor air pollution
- There are several sources of indoor air pollution that are closely associated with an increased risk of cancer.
- The sources include fuels used for heating homes and for cooking, radon, and tobacco smoke.
- Second hand smoke is another harmful indoor air pollutant that causes cancer.
Second hand smoke
- Secondhand smoke increases the risk of cancer development, along with the risk of developing other diseases such as stroke and lung disease.
- A lot of people all over the world get exposed to second hand smoke.
- A lot of deaths occur due to cancer because of second hand smoke exposure which is common every year, all over the globe.
- Radon is a natural radioactive gas, which is associated with increased risks of developing lung cancer.
- It is found at low levels outdoors. It may also build in high concentrations indoors.
- Although radon exposure does not pose a huge threat for cancer, a lot of radon-associated cancers develop due to exposure to radon, along with tobacco smoke.
- This is a flammable liquid having no color and with a sweet odor.
- It is closely associated with the development of leukemia and cancers affecting other cells of the body.
- Cigarette smoking and tobacco smoke are major cancer causing elements that are found in the air commonly. Both of these are quite harmful. It is recommended that you not only quit smoking, but also keep away from passive smoking.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hello sir, now a days we all fear about cancer. It's really unpleasant term. If chest pain or heart disease is going regularly then is it cause for cancer? Chest pain means cancer? If I don't smoke or drinks.
Skin cancer has two forms, melanoma and basal cell carcinoma. While the latter could be easily treated and cured, the former is hard to get rid of. Like all other forms of cancer, skin cancer can be easily treated if detected in its early stages. Ayurvedic medicines are known to cure and manage cancer for ages. Also checkout Ayurvedic remedies for healthy Hair.
Here is a list of 10 Ayurvedic medicines that can help in fighting skin cancer.
- Aloe vera: It has numerous skin benefits. For starters, it is considered to be a natural sun skin protector. It protects the skin from the harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays of the sun. It stops the production of carcinogen and helps the body to heal faster from cancer.
- Flaxseeds: Apart from being rich in dietary fibre, this seed contains fatty acid micronutrients and lignans. The latter has the ability to stop the cancerous cells from spreading to other parts of the body.
- Astralagus: Astralagus has multiple health benefits. It not only helps to boost the immune system, but helps the body produce skin cancer agents.
- Turmeric: This is one of the oldest Ayurvedic herbs that combat a lot of diseases. Turmeric has a crucial component known as the curcumin. It is an extremely powerful antioxidant that has the capability to stop the growth of cancerous cells.
- Bilberry: Due to the availability of free radicals, bilberry tea can counter skin cancer and helps minimise the damage caused by the cancer cells. They are a strong antioxidant and help the body to recover quickly.
- Hawthorn: Hawthorn berries are strong antioxidants that not only stop the growth of cancer cells, but prevent them from affecting other organs of the body. This fruit should only be consumed if the patient is taking betablockers.
- Artemisia: Commonly known as sweet wormwood, artemisia has a compound known as the artemisinin. Studies have shown that artemisinin can stop the cancer from spreading. Being non-toxic in nature, they have no side effects at all.
- Scutellaria: More commonly known as the Chinese herb, this Ayurvedic herb stops the progression of skin cancer into further stages. They contain a compound known as the flavonoids, which are known to be an anticancer agent.
- Saffron: Saffron has the unique property of slowing down skin cancer growth. Saffron can be applied in the form of extracts in small quantities to get best results.
My sister 48 years operated last year inMay ovarian cancer six cycle of chemotherapy now last month cA125 was 15. Before that 10.
Hello sir I have a blood cancer and breast cancer and air to give me a reason for the breast cancer and give me answer sir please.
My wife has breast pain since last week. Our last child was born on January 2010 and she is not pregnant either. She have hyperthyroidism.
The prostate gland in a man begins to grow in size on reaching 25 years of age quite naturally, and this is known as benign prostatic hyperplasia abbreviated as BPH. Now the problem arises when the enlargement of the prostate is more than normal.
In men, the urine flows through the urethra from the bladder. An abnormally enlarged prostate blocks the flow of urine through the urethra. The cells of the prostate slowly multiply to cause it to enlarge. This puts pressure on the urethra thereby giving rise to a number of problems, most of which manifest as symptoms.
Common Symptoms of an Enlarged Prostate Gland
The condition of enlarged prostate gives rise to some noticeable symptoms which provide the signs that you need to visit a doctor to get it treated. A weak or slow urinary system is one of the most common symptoms of being affected with an enlarged prostate. This includes urinating more often, an increase in the urgency to urinate, difficulty in starting urination and a feeling of incomplete bladder emptying immediately after urinating. At times, it is seen that passing urine becomes very strenuous. All these above symptoms indicate that there is an enlargement of the prostate gland and medical help should be sought immediately to prevent the condition from worsening.
Steps to Manage an Enlarged Prostrate
- Effective medication is usually the first step in the management of an enlarged prostate gland. Alpha blockers are the drugs that are most commonly used in this situation. These drugs do not reduce the size of the prostate, but they are great in relieving the symptoms to allow free and painless passage of urine. Another group of drugs known as 5-alpha reductase inhibitors can help in shrinking an enlarged prostate. The drugs work by the reducing the levels of the male hormone called dihydrotestosterone.
- In some advanced stages of prostate enlargement, minimally invasive treatments are used for the effective management of the condition. Transurethral Microwave Thermotherapy or TUMT is used to treat mild blockages that reduce the frequency of urination, the urgency, and straining. However, it is not able to correct the bladder emptying issues. Transurethral Radio Frequency Needle Ablation or TUNA helps in the destruction of the prostate tissues resulting in an improvement in the flow of urine.
- Prostatic stents are also sometimes used for the management of the condition of an enlarged prostate. In this treatment procedure, a small metal coil is inserted into the urethra for widening it and keeping it open. In most severe case of prostate enlargement, only surgical methods remain as the opted method of treatment. Laser surgeries are performed to destroy the tissues of the prostate for easing of the condition. Ultimately, an open prostate surgery is performed when the transurethral procedure cannot be used. In this surgery, the tissues of the prostate are removed by the surgeon in case of great enlargement.
- The condition of an enlarged prostate gland requires medical attention and treatment for the most effective management, and it is best that a medical professional is consulted as soon as any of the symptoms surface.
Enlargement starts usually after 50 years. Surgery 'Transurethral resection of prostate (TURP)' either by monopolar or bipolar electrocautery. Enucleation of prostate by laser is also an option. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!