Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Homeopaths in India. You will find Homeopaths with more than 25 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Homeopaths online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Madhavi LathaYour feedback matters!
The skin is the most exposed organ to irritants, and when the body recognizes something as foreign, the immune system kicks into action. It produces what is known as antibodies against the foreign bodies (antigens). However, in many situations, the body produces antibodies against its own cells or tissue or components, causing an autoimmune reaction. One such autoimmune reaction is lichen planus, which is a skin rash caused when the body produces antibodies against its own skin or mucous membranes.
Risk factors: While anyone with a weak immune system can develop lichen planus, the followings increase the chances of that happening:
- Presence of other autoimmune disorders
- Hyperactive immune system, causing the allergic reaction
- Genetic inheritance
- Increased stress levels
- Prior history of viral infections
- Middle aged women
- Exposure to allergens like gold, arsenic, iodine, and drugs like diuretics and antibiotics
- Prior history of hepatitis C
Symptoms: Diagnosis of lichen planus is quite easy, as it has a characteristic appearance.
- Basically, a skin rash that is purple in color with flat tops on the skin
- Rashes spread over the body in a matter of weeks
- They are itchy, painful, and produce a burning sensation
- Could have blisters which burst
- Have thin lacy margin
- Can be seen in the genital area, scalp, ankle, hands, mucous membranes, and nails
If required, a biopsy can be done in some cases to confirm the diagnosis. Allergy testing can also be done to confirm hyperactive immune system.
Treatments: This can depend on the severity of the condition. In people where it is not progressive or inflamed, it could be observed to run its natural course and subside.
For those requiring symptomatic treatment, the following can be used:
- Steroids (topical or oral) to reduce inflammation
- Antihistamines to reduce the allergic response
- Retinoids (topical or oral) which can help overall skin health
- Nonsteroidal creams to clear up the rash
- Moisturizer to keep skin healthy and prevent dryness and itching
- Cool compresses on the rashes
- Loose clothing to prevent irritation and itching
- Anti-itch creams and powders and lotions
- Oatmeal bath to avoid itching and inflammation
- Ultraviolet radiation to the rash to reduce severity
- Avoid agents (drugs or chemicals) which can cause lichen planus
- If the lesions are in the mouth, mouthwash and/or rinse can be used for topical relief
Lichen planus often does not require any treatment. However, depending on each individual, it may require topical and/or systemic treatment to manage the symptoms. It usually runs its course over 6 to 10 weeks and subsides on its own. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Dermatologist.
With an upsurge in the number of women suffering from dysfunctional reproductive system and a myriad of gynecological problems, resulting in irregular periods, infertility and several other complications, it is of paramount importance to keep a record of the dates and duration of your monthly cycles. This is not only useful for future reference when you visit a gynecologist, but it also helps you to understand if there are any delays in your mensuration cycle or you are having heavy mentrual bleeding in a particular month.
Why tracking your menstrual cycle is important?
Keeping a track of the menstrual cycles is a mandatory exercise for women who are thinking about pregnancy or those trying to avoid it. Based on you period calendar, you can avoid getting pregnant without opting for contraceptive methods, if you have extremely regular period patterns. It is advisable to abstain from intercourse for a few days before and after the period, which is the prime time for ovulation. Keeping a track of your periods will give you a clear indication as to whether you are pregnant, because delay in the menstrual onset can be an indication of pregnancy. The reverse is also true; if you are trying to get pregnant, conception is usually fruitful on these days of maximum ovulation, which you can easily calculate based on your well maintained menstrual record.
How should you go about keeping a track of your menstruation cycle?
While it not possible to note down every possible aspect of the menstruation in a notebook, the easiest way of maintaining a planner is to mark the first day of each period on the calendar. The difference between two consecutive periods will give you your cycle lengths. In addition you can choose to make a note of how heavy the bleeding is or if there are changes in mood and appetite on those days. You will then be well prepared for your next visit to the gynecologist. Or, just consult a gynecologist online.