Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified General Physicians in India. You will find General Physicians with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find General Physicians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Diagnostic Cardiac Procedures
Treatment of Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
Treatment of Lumbar Radiculopathy
Oxygen Therapy Treatment
Hiv Prophylaxis Post Exposure
Restylane Vital Procedure
Treatment of Shin Splints
Treatment of Shin Splits
Management of Smoking Cessation
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Weight Management Treatment
Asthma Management Program
Skin Detoxification Treatment
Head And Neck Pain Treatment
Health Check Up
Health Screening For Men
Cold sores are typically caused by the herpes simplex virus and are characterized by small blisters that develop around the lips and mouth. However, some people do not showcase any symptoms at all. The mouth is the most affected area as the skin in this area is not as resistant to the virus as skin on other parts of the body. It can also occur on the chin, nose or cheeks. Cold sores are communicable through skin contact. This condition can also be triggered by stress.
The first time this virus affects is a person is known as the primary infection. Some of the symptoms of cold sores are
- Blisters on the mouth, lips, tongue, throat or gums. These blisters may be dry or oozing.
- Pain while swallowing or eating due to ulcers and blisters.
- Swollen neck glands.
- High fever accompanied by body ache.
An outbreak of cold sores usually lasts about a week. Once the primary infection is over the virus is not eliminated from the body, but remains dormant in a nerve sheath. Recurrent cold sores may not cause severe mouth infections as with primary infections, but can be quite unpleasant. In most cases, recurrent cold sores erupt in the same area as the primary infection.
Some of the ways to treat primary infections are:
- Painkillers: Over the counter painkillers such as ibuprofen or paracetamol can help ease the pain.
- Chlorhexidine mouthwash: This can be used in place or brushing in case of painful sores inside the mouth. It can also prevent plaque buildup and secondary gum infection.
- Antiviral medication: If taken at the onset of a cold sore infection, this can reduce the pain associated with it and shorten the duration of the infection. This also prevents the virus from multiplying.
As cold sores are communicable, it is important to prevent it from spreading. Some ways of containing this infection are:
- Wash your hands with soap and water after touching your mouth or the sores.
- Avoid touching the cold sores
- Abstain from oral sex
- Do not share items that come in contact with the infected area like lip balms, towels, cutlery etc.
If the symptoms do not subside within 5 days, visit a doctor immediately. Consult a doctor if you have frequent bouts of cold sores or suffer from a severe case of the disease. Pregnant women and mothers with young babies who suffer from the disease should also seek prompt medical attention.
Related Tip: "All About Cold Sores"
Symptoms of chikunguniya:- sudden onset fever, severe joints pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, skin rashes, these symptoms are appears after 2 to 7 days after being bitten by infected mosquito.
I snore very loudly in my sleep, causing a great disturbance to my family, is there a cure for this.
From few days after watching some devil scary movies I am started feeling someone is trying to hurt me and am not getting sleep in the n8 please help me to come out of this imagining problem.
I have pain in my stomach. I have did more treatment but not improvement. So what I do. Give me a PAth.
Hello doc. My son is 9 years old and has cavities in his teeth. Also his teeth are coming haphazzard and yellow in colour. How can we improve his dental conditions. Thanks.
I have Whiteheads and pimples on my face . I took medicine for six months by a dermatologist. He prescribed me isoin and aziled 250 mg tab and faceclin , adaple C day cream and adaclene night cream. Since last six month I am not taking any treatment but I'm still suffering with this problem . please advice me how I can overcome with this problem.
If a person is suffering from headache since 3 days, then what is the quick solution for it? And if the person has tried all the possible ointments from the doctor's prescription?
It is your tasty and quick remedy to beat the Mumbai summer and avoid heat strokes.
- It prevents excessive loss of sodium chloride and zinc from your body due to excessive sweating.
- It is a rich source of Vitamin C and thus a curative for blood disorders.
- It increases the elasticity of blood vessels and helps in the formation of new blood vessels.
- It acts as a tonic increasing body resistance against tuberculosis,anaemia, cholera and dysentery.