Find numerous Gynaecologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 28 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Gynaecologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Laxmi Devi Padmanabhan
Treatment of Pregnancy and related Disorder
Treatment of Irregular Periods
Management of Pregnancy
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts
Management of Pregnancy Query
Management of Abortion
Treatment of Painful Periods
Avoiding Pregnancy Procedures
Treatment of Painful Sexual Intercourse
Treatment of Heavy Periods
Treatment of Polycystic Ovary Syndrome
Treatment of Breast Pain
Treatment of Vaginal Discharge
Treatment of Miscarriage
Treatment of Vaginal Itching
Treatment of Fertility
Treatment of Delayed Periods
Treatment of Vaginal Infection
Submit a review for Dr. Laxmi Devi PadmanabhanYour feedback matters!
PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) is a common disorder that can be seen to be mainly affecting women of reproductive age. As the name indicates, PCOS results in the formation of a cyst(s) in either one or both the ovaries. The presence of cysts in the ovary wrecks havoc affecting the ovulation process to a great extent. As a result of PCOS, the eggs do not undergo maturation. A situation may also arise whereby, the eggs mature but the ovary does not release them.
In PCOS, there is an elevated production of the hormone Androgen (often referred to as male hormones). The higher the androgen level in females the more the complications including obesity, infertility, irregular periods, heart ailments, hypertension as well as diabetes and insulin resistance. Hirsutism (excessive presence of body hair, especially on the face, chin or chest), alopecia or acne problems are also commonly observed. Thus, the condition should be treated and managed at the earliest. Conventional treatments though available may not always produce the desired results. Of late, Ayurveda has been making a lot of noise for all the right reasons. In fact, a lot of women have been successfully treated for PCOS and the associated symptoms, all thanks to Ayurveda.
Ayurveda that has been in practice since the ancient times believes that a healthy body is one where there is a perfect balance between the various energies or doshas. As per Ayurvedic scriptures, there are three main doshas - Vata dosha (wind energy), Kapha dosha (water energy) and Pitta dosha (fire energy). A disruption of the equilibrium between the Vata, Kapha, and Pitta dosha is what triggers a diseased condition in a person.
PCOS is a problem resulting from the Kapha Dosha. According to Ayurveda, there are seven Dhatus (tissues) in our body. Some of the Dhatus affected by PCOS include Artava Dhatu (Female reproductive organ), Rasa Dhatu (plasma and lymph) and the Meda Dhatu or the adipose tissue.
The Ayurvedic approach to treat PCOS involves restoring the balance between the three doshas.
- The use of herbs such as Ashwagandha, Dandelion, Blue cohosh, Tulsi, Neem, Fenugreek, Castor oil, Sesame seeds, Flax seeds, goes a long way to treat the hormonal imbalance along with the associated symptoms of PCOS (infertility, diabetes, to name a few).
- In addition to the use of herbs, there are few pranayamas which work wonders in the case of PCOS by relaxing the whole body and restoring the balance between the doshas.
- Women with PCOS benefit immensely from Panchakarma. It is an Ayurvedic treatment that involves, oil massages, oil baths (Oleation), Fomentation (a process where the body undergoes intense sweating) to eliminate the toxins out of the body (detoxification) that may trigger the various disorders.
- Avoid foods with a high glycemic index. Instead, opt for foods such as grapefruits, cauliflower, peaches, onion, apples and other similar dietary options that have a low glycemic index.
- Severely obese patients should make an effort to shed the extra kilos.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Hi doc I had abortion April first by taking medicine after a week I got ma periods too. Yesterday I had sex with me partner. Is it ok. Or we have take some suggestion regarding dis please advise us thanks.
The debate about how sex affects sportspersons has been there for a very long time, but it is its reverse which is somehow more applicable. Research has shown that regularly engaging in sports or other physical activities such as exercising can have some really positive effects on your sex life. This has got to do mostly with improved metabolic activity in the cells from the increased motion and exercise.
Research suggests that engaging in exercise, sports and other physical activities result in an increase in flexibility and agility among people, thus aiding sexual prowess and performance. Also, it boosts levels of self-confidence, thus allowing you to believe that you are sexually desirable, (due to increased levels of fitness and toned musculature) which in turn also positively affects sexual capability- in providing higher levels of satisfaction to your partners. Apart from these, there are several other factors of sexuality that are also improved due to engaging in sports or exercise, like:
- Decreased risks of Erectile Dysfunction (ED): One of the most essential benefits of engaging in sports and exercise is that it lowers the risk of erectile dysfunction in men, due to an increased level of blood flow into your penis as a result of widening of the arteries. In this regard, research also suggests that you don't necessarily need to be overly fit or sporting to reduce chances of ED - even a brisk half hour walk works wonders.
- Improved quality of semen: Research has found that if you exercise or are engaged in some rigorous sporting activity for at least 15 hours per week, you will have higher sperm counts than your inactive counterparts.
- Increased libido: High levels of exercise pumps up testosterone levels in men and estrogen levels in women, which leads to better muscle growth and an increased sex drive in both sex.
- Increased chances of achieving orgasm in women: If you work out frequently, then the process of arousal works quicker for you and chances of orgasm is faster and with higher intensity, it gets increased exponentially.
- Heightened sensitivity: In women, the clitoris contains over 8000 nerve endings, which makes it very sensitive to stimulation, and increases arousal exponentially. Increased physical activity heightens the effect of this stimulus and makes sexual stimulation much more pleasurable. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a Sexologist.