Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Psychiatrists in India. You will find Psychiatrists with more than 34 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Psychiatrists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Lavanya
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Mood Disorder
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Sex Addiction Counselling
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Quit Smoking Techniques
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Memory Improvement Techniques
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Abnormal Behaviour
Psychological Diagnosis (Adult And Child)
Submit a review for Dr. LavanyaYour feedback matters!
A panic attack is a sudden fit of anxiety or fear. In this situation, a person’s heart starts pounding and they are unable to breathe. Sometimes, they may even feel like throwing up or even dying. It may even make a person withdraw from their daily routine and reach a point of hopelessness. If left untreated, these panic attacks can lead to a panic disorder. These attacks can have more physical symptoms including shaking, nausea, dry mouth, sweating or dizziness.
There are certain medications and treatments to cure this disorder. These include antidepressants and benzodiazepines, which are anti-anxiety medications. Taking them brings rapid relief, however; these are highly addictive and can have certain withdrawal symptoms. To avoid medications, there are certain self-help tips to cope with the problem. These include:
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and caffeine. These are substances that can provoke your panic attacks.
- Learn how to control your breathing while you are experiencing an attack. Deep breathing can relieve the symptoms that come with this disorder. This can help you calm down.
- Practice relaxation techniques such as yoga and meditation. These strengthen the body’s ability to respond to situations that can cause anxiety. Not only do they release stress but they also increase the feelings of joy and happiness.
- Try to exercise regularly. It is a natural anxiety reliever. Therefore, one should exercise in any form, for at least thirty minutes a day.
- You should try to get as much sleep as possible. Insufficient amounts of sleep can make the anxiety even worse. Dancing, swimming or cycling can be highly effective.
- Try not to stay alone. Anxiety levels and the chances of a panic attack are high when you are alone. If you feel that you do not have anyone to go to or turn to, try to explore ways to meet and build supportive relationships.
- Go to a therapist or a psychologist to vent out your feelings and anxieties. This can help you by giving you a cathartic release and get over your pent up emotions.
If someone is suffering from a panic disorder, make sure that you do not let it go unnoticed because people who suffer from this condition usually like to keep it to themselves. This smothers them even further and leaves them at a great risk and vulnerability. Those who have this condition should try to seek medical or psychological help in order to feel better.
Panic disorders are very dangerous and unpredictable. These can mess with your work and performance. In order to avoid that, keep noticing the signs and symptoms and reach for the correct type of medical or clinical attention. Ignoring such a condition can hamper your future and lead to a lot of other allied health problems. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can ask a free question.