Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dermatologists in India. You will find Dermatologists with more than 27 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dermatologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. K S Sathyakumar
Laser Hair Removal
Mole Removal Procedure
Skin Care Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Skin Diseases Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Wart Removal Technique
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Stretch Marks Treatment
Tattoo Removal Procedure
Removal Of Stitches Procedure
Corn Removal Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. K S SathyakumarYour feedback matters!
I'm a 30 year old male from kerala and nowadays I am facing a issue of having kind of pricklyheats inside shoulders, chest and side areas. It later turns into a larger size and puss comes out from it. And then it get healed but after few days it again appear in the surrounding areas as well. Kindly help.
Psoriasis is an inflammatory skin disorder. Although it is non-contagious, the disease is quite complex. Erythematous plaques with silvery scales appear on skin layers, which basically characterise the disease. This excessive increase of cell division in the basal layer of the skin, results in increased proliferation on skin layers.
The symptoms of psoriasis vary from person to person. Some of the common symptoms of psoriasis are the following:
- Raised, red patches of skin topped with loose, silvery scales, usually on the knees or elbows
- Thick, red patches known as plaques, and dry, silvery scales appearing on the scalp, face, elbows, knees, palms, and soles of the feet.
- Dry, cracked skin that may bleed
- Joint swelling, tenderness, and pain
- Thickened, pitted or ridged nails
Causes of Psoriasis According To Ayurveda
Acharya Charak has described the involvement of vata and kapha in ekkushtha or psoriasis. Accumulation of toxins or ama could also lead to this condition.
- Viruddha Aahar (Opposite diet or contradictory foods) and Mithya Ahara (Improper Diet)
- Excessive intake of yogurt, seafoods, salty foods, black gram and sour foods, spicy foods, fermented foods, maida (fine flour), and bakery products, junk foods and fast foods, refrigerated and cold foods may contribute to psoriasis.
- Mithya Vihara (Improper Lifestyle)
- An irregular lifestyle disrupts the digestive process and creates imbalance in the doshas.
- Adrista Hetu (Unknown Cause)
- Excessive Physical and Mental stress
- Leading a stressful life or too much consumption of alcohol and tobacco can also trigger psoriasis.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Psoriasis
Ayurvedic treatment of psoriasis includes counseling, lifestyle management, diet management and ayurvedic external and internal treatment. In the case of scalp psoriasis, shirodhara with proper oils is also a very effective treatment. Treatment may also include stress management, oral Ayurvedic medicines, immunomodulators for immunity, topical treatments, regular follow up appointments and yoga and meditation to relieve mental stress. The blend of natural herbs and elements, which are extremely beneficial for the health and skin. The panchakarma therapy in Ayurveda is strong enough to cure psoriasis effectively. The therapy includes a thorough detoxification of the whole body system and removal of all harmful toxins from body fluids. Thus the main aim is to purify the blood system and restore the digestive system in order to prevent the disease.
It is important to maintain a healthy lifestyle in order to adapt to this condition. Regular exercise is also very important. Yogic asanas and pranayam can help to keep the mind and body fit and healthy.
Few precautions for psoriasis patients:
- Psoriasis patients should say no to acidic food products like urad dal, radish, sesame, jaggery etc.
- Patients with psoriasis should practice yoga on a regular basis to prevent the disease.
- Psoriasis patients should not use chemical skin products. Instead, they should use natural cleansers like besan.
- Picking, scratching or peeling of skin should strongly be avoided.
- Usage of cotton clothes is recommended.
Here are some natural Ayurvedic home remedies, which are helpful for psoriasis patients:
- Cover the affected part with a banana leaf to fade the reddish patches.
- Soak 15 sesame seeds overnight in a glass of water and drink it early morning on an empty stomach.
- Consume half a glass of bitter gourd juice in the morning for 5-6 months.
For more information, you can consult a professional Ayurvedic practitioner.