Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Orthopedists in India. You will find Orthopedists with more than 36 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Orthopedists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Knee Pain Treatment
Spinal Surgery Disorders
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Knee replacement
Treatment of Joint And Muscle Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Acl Reconstruction Procedure
Hip Replacement Surgery
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Knee Care Procedures
Joint Replacement Surgery
Ankle Pain Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Arthritis And Pain Management Treatment
Treatment of Joint Dislocation
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Submit a review for Dr. K.g.shankarnarayanaYour feedback matters!
Osteopenia is a medical condition that gradually causes thinning of bone mass. While the thinning mass is not considered as severe, the real danger looms when osteopenia aggravates to osteoporosis, resulting in a bone fracture. Osteopenia is mostly witnessed in people above the age of 50. The difference between the diagnosis of osteopenia and osteoporosis lies in the measure of bone density.
Osteoporosis, on the other hand, is the loss of bone mass due to the deficiency of calcium, magnesium, vitamin D and other minerals and vitamins. Osteoporosis can lead to broken bones, height loss, acute pain and humpback. It is estimated that over 54 million people in the US suffer from osteoporosis.
Bone mineral density (BMD):
The calcium deposit in the bone is measured by the bone mineral density (BMD) test. This test rightly estimates the chances of bone fracture in a person. Furthermore, it helps a doctor to distinguish between osteopenia and osteoporosis. Being non-invasive in nature, this test can be performed anytime on areas such as hip, shin bone, spine etc. BMD can either be measured by plain radiographs or DEXA. The latter is a form of X-ray that has lesser exposure to radiation. Post the test, a score is given based on the calcium availability of the bones.
How is a BMD comprehended?
Every BMD result is evaluated in the form of T-score. The T-score is derived by comparing the result of the BMD with a normal person in the 30’s having the same race and sex. The difference of score between a healthy individual and a patient affected with osteoporosis or osteopenia is referred to as Standard Deviation. A patient with a T-score in the range of (-1SD) to (-2.5SD) is considered a prime candidate for osteopenia. A patient having a T-score lesser than -2.5SD is diagnosed with osteoporosis.
Risk factor for osteopenia or osteoporosis:
While not everyone runs the risk of getting either osteopenia or osteoporosis, there are certain risk factors attached to it:
- Gender: Women run a higher risk of getting affected with osteopenia or osteoporosis.
- Race: Women who belong from the Caucasian or Asian origin run a higher risk of getting these diseases.
- Age: Most people tend to get these diseases above the age of 50. Humans have a tendency of losing close to 0.5 percent of bone every year after a certain age.
- Family history: A person with a family history of osteopenia or osteoporosis has more than 50% chance of getting either osteopenia or osteoporosis.
- Lifestyle: Poor diet, excessive smoking, alcohol, lack of exercising etc. goes a long way in contributing towards these diseases. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a rheumatologist.
Hi, the back of my neck keeps aching. I tried exercises to gt rid of it bt those exercises make me feel dizzy. I am unable to sleep because of this pain. Is it serious? Should I consult an orthopedic?
Hi, I was experiencing numbness in my extremities (only when sitting in awkward position or if I put pressure on them) since the last two years when I started gaining weight. I have gained almost 30 kg in the last 2 years from 62 to 92 kg. I had my blood sugar, thyroid and Nerve Conduction Velocity tested. All came out to be OK except vitamin b12 deficiency which was severe. I have some fatigue and short term memory problems. Please advice me on the best method to tackle this problem.
Hi sir I'm 24 years old now I'm suffering from hands and legs fingers pain 5dys nw this problem how to cure sir.
I had c section before six weeks. But I had pain below my right rib cage since dat day. But it is regular pain. It comes only sometimes. I guess its besides stomach. And I can not sleep on I right side everyday because it hurts. Is it normal? I really do not know the exact position of the pain It also pains when I breathe deeply Is it normal?
I am suffering from toe and knee pain and I check uric acid level is 11 how can I reduce the uric acid and cholesterol level by naturopathy.Please tell.
I am 45 years old and have been gaining weight very quickly. I have thyroid but the result shows normal. Its been nearly 3 months I have pain in my right heal and unusual swelling in my feet. Have been on medication for the past 2 months. But the heel pain has not gone and swelling also keeps coming back.
I am Suffering from Avascular Necrosis Stage 4. Please let me know if there is any Non surgical Treatment is available.
I am 22 years old male. I have backache for last 1 month. I use pain relief ointment but it did not work. So what can I do now?
I am a 3 months pregnant woman, I am suffering with stomach, legs paining, when I consult the doctor she told due to weakness your getting this problem, she gave me medicine. I am using those rather than this If any suggestions you will give it's helpful to me And tell me anything y my legs are paining.
I have pain in my legs. I don't want to sleep I feel feverish but when I check for it, nothing is there and loads of headache too.
Joints are intersections between bones; they provide support to your body during movement. There are a host of conditions which might lead to joint pain; they are bursitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout. The most common joint pain disorders are knee pain, hip pain and shoulder pain.
Ayurveda associates joint pain with loss of bone density in the joints. This problem is characterized by a feeling of discomfort and cracking sounds. If the condition is not treated, it might lead to immobilization of the joint. The condition of the bones tends to deteriorate as they do not receive enough nutrition.
The other cause that leads to joint pain is toxin accumulation in the joints. As the toxin accumulates, it leads to heavy and stiff joints. If preventive measures are not taken on time, continuous accumulation of toxins may lead to swollen joints.
The various Ayurvedic remedies for joint pain are:
- Diet: Focus on eating foods especially that are salty, sour and sweet in taste. Add healthy foods such as rye and quinoa along with ghee as they pacify the "vata" in your body. Focus on natural foods such as vegetables and fruits to your diet.
- Herbs: Certain herbs such as turmeric help to treat joint pain. It contains curcumin that has anti-inflammatory properties which help in reducing the pain. You may also consume fenugreek seeds for its antioxidant content and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Lifestyle Changes: Make sure you exercise on a daily basis, do basic bodyweight exercises such as push-ups and squats to improve your strength. You may also start with yoga workouts to build flexibility and mobility in your body.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Limit smoking and alcohol consumption to keep your body healthy, and free from free radical damage. Alcohol may also cause you to put on weight, thus leading to obesity. Smoking may cause various problems in the lungs that may lead to breathing disorders.