Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 38 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. J.p Bhattacharjee
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. J.p BhattacharjeeYour feedback matters!
I am 40 years male, and having trouble of ear problems. As I listen to constant noise or sound of buzzing which may be termed as tinnitus. Is this condition curable? What is the medication if any?
Im 42 yrs male and I have continuous sneezing during winter or in dust area followed by severe cold.
I have got a common cold for more than 10 days. Every morning I wake up I have this itching throat what should I do.
While sleeping in the night my nose got freezing by that snoring too much. Can you give some suggestions?
I have got snoring problem ,sound is very loud Please suggest something how to overcome the problem.
It is very common for patients with nasal obstruction to develop clogged ear as well. The back of the nose opens into a tunnel also known as the Eustachian tube. This tube goes up to the ear. In case the ears get clogged the pressure is released by popping of the ears. This is achieved by swallowing, yawning, and trying to blow the nose. When ear pops the tunnel opens and allows the pressure to release from the ear.
Reasons why nasal obstruction causes clogged ears:
- Mucosal Swelling: When the nose is obstructed, the nasal lining might swell thus making it difficult to breath. This might also lead to swelling in the tunnel of the ear causing it to shut down. Sometimes an ear pop does not happen in this condition and this is called as Eustachian tube dysfunction.
- Negative Pressure inside the Nose: In nose obstruction when the patient tries to breathe through the nose there is negative pressure. This might build up near the opening of the Eustachian tube or the back of the nose. This pressure gets transmitted to the ear and results in a negative pressure in the ear which leads to the clogging of the ear.
- Bernoulli's Principle: This principle states that in case of an inviscid flow, increase in speed of the fluid happens side by side with a pressure decrease.
Causes of Nasal Obstruction:
Obstruction or congestion of the nose leads to a stuffy and inflamed nose. In minor illnesses like fever, cold, sinus infection and flu stuffy nose can happen. This congestion might last for a week. In case the congestion is long term then the causes for it are:
- Allergies and hay fever
- Chemical and environmental irritants
- Septum deviation
- Chronic sinusitis that has lasted for too long
- Nasal polyps and benign tumors
Symptoms of nasal decongestion are runny or stuffy nose, painful sinus, and swollen nasal tissues along with mucus buildup.
Treatment for Nasal Decongestion:
Once the nasal congestion has been found and the cause behind it has been analyzed, then treatment is must. Treatment usually includes prescription medication or over the counter drugs. Medication of the nasal decongestion involves the following:
- Oral Antihistamines: These are helpful in treating allergies. Common ones are loratadine (Claritin) and cetirizine (Zyrtec)
- Nasal Sprays: Nasal sprays which contain antihistamine like azelastine (Astelin, Astepro)
- Nasal Steroids: Examples of this are mometasone (Asmanex Twisthaler) or fluticasone (Flovent Diskus, Flovent HFA)
- Over the counter or prescription decongestants