Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 35 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment & Management of Braces
Treatment of Tetracycline Stains
Root Canal Treatment
Management of Dental Hygiene
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Ceramic Braces Treatment
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Dental Extractions Procedure
Orthosis Fitting Procedure
Fixed Partial Denture Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Ishwar KumaranYour feedback matters!
Bad breath, also known as halitosis medically, is a much bigger problem than just being a cause for social embarrassment. It could be a symptom of an underlying disorder in your body which when corrected, will result in bad breath being resolved as well. However, in most cases, halitosis or bad breath occurs due to gum and teeth problems or due to life style habits such as a bad diet. Ayurveda has cure for both the problems and offers specialized treatment as well as home remedies.
Some general tips to fight bad breath
Bad breath may occur due to a combination of bad diet or digestive problems as well as oral hygiene issues. Some of the common things to follow, which will reduce your bad breath, especially concerning oral hygiene, are mentioned below
1. Rinse your mouth thoroughly after every meal as it helps clean food particles which may contribute to bad breath
2. Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Dryness of the mouth can often cause bad breath
3. Brush your teeth, preferably at least twice daily and clean your tongue every time you brush your teeth
4. Avoid alcohol, smoking and excessive consumption of caffeine products
5. Use natural breath fresheners such as mint leaves and parsley
6. Don’t use breath mints, mouth fresheners or mouthwashes which have alcohol in them as they may further dry up your mouth, causing bad breath
7. Try and include more of fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet as these will keep you hydrated and supply you with the necessary nutrients to keep your digestive system functional and thus reduce bad breath.
Ayurveda for bad breath
Some of the home remedies as well as specialized Ayurvedic medications that can effectively combat bad breath are mentioned below. However, if you have a persistent problem, it is best to consult with an Ayurvedic practitioner who can help you with tailor made combinations specifically suited to your problem.
- Fenugreek or ‘methi’ and tea leaves: Methi is known to have many medicinal properties in Ayurveda. Boil methi leaves into a cup of tea and drink it once a day to see quick and lasting results.
- Cardamom seeds: This is a quick and effective remedy for bad breath, especially for social occasions. Chew on a few cardamom seeds after a smelly meal and it can definitely take care of your bad breath temporarily.
- Honey ginger and lemon combo: If your body has more ‘Kapha’ based symptoms, then this is a very good remedy. Mix equal amounts of honey with ginger juice and lemon juice and use that concoction to slowly gargle your mouth and then rinse.
- Some specialized medications: Certain special medications may be prescribed by your Ayurveda practitioner such as:
- Kushtha, Nagarmotha, Cardamom, and licorice mixtures
- Dashan Sanskar Churna which is a specially formulated charcoal powder meant for brushing
- Special mixtures made from ingredients such as Manjishtha, Clove, Khadir, Cardamom, Betel nut, Black Pepper, Mayaphal, Kulinjan, Cumin seeds, Vidang, Bakul, and Camphor among others; either in the form of edible medication or in the form of mouthwashes.
Is kissing and licking vagina of my wife is healthy. Secretions occurring in vagina can go in my mouth.
How can I clean my teeth. Its getting yellow please help me sir. And I have fitted a brackets in my mouth.
My cousin has no teeth from his childhood. He is having only 6-7 teethes and still now he didn't take any thing for this now he need to transplant all teethes. So can you guide me is there any where. Where he can get it free of cost or normal cost. And how much it will come.
Practice Good Oral Hygiene
If you’re suffering from bad breath problems, it is important that you brush and floss twice a day. Use fluoride-based toothpaste that will help you to keep your mouth clean and remove food debris and plaque. It is also important to brush your teeth before you go to bed because bacteria can grow in your mouth while you’re asleep. It is also important that you scrape your tongue to remove any residue that may be building up after you eat your meals.
Keep Your Mouth Moist
Keeping your mouth moist is another way to eliminate bad breath issues which is why you need to ensure that you drink good amount of water throughout the day. Drinking adequate amount of water will help you stay hydrated as well. You can also chew sugarless chewing gums or candies that can stimulate production of saliva in your mouth to wash away food particles and bacteria. Choose chewing gums that have xylitol are always recommended.
Watch What You Eat
Certain foods can trigger bad breath in your mouth and therefore you need to keep log of what food you eat. This will help you to narrow down certain food items that worsen your bad breath problems. Similarly, there are certain medications that also trigger mouth odour, hence it is recommended that you talk about it with your dentist. Stay away from tobacco products and avoid smoking which also leads to bad breath issues.
We recommend that you visit your dentist regularly, at least twice a year to conduct an oral exam and professional teeth cleaning and to ensure that your mouth is clean and healthy. Your dentist will also be able to help you know whether the bad breath problem is due to general health conditions or triggered due to any food item or medications.