Find numerous ENT Specialists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find ENT Specialists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find ENT Specialists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment of Tonsils (Tonsillitis)
Hearing Aid Fitting
Treatment of Throat and Voice Problems
Earlobe Repair Procedure
Treatment of Sleep Disturbance
Nose Reshaping Procedure
Hearing Testing Techniques
Nasal And Sinus Allergy Care
Cochlear Implant Procedure
Ear Micro Surgery
Treatment Of Hearing Deficiency
Submit a review for Dr. GovindrajYour feedback matters!
I have sinus again after I had been operated 5 years back. I have polyp in my nose left is big but I don't feel that polyp and right is very small which can be cured by medication as by my ct scan report. And I have a sudden breathing problem like breathe is not coming properly which is little bit cured with medication. I want to know whether this can be cured by medication or operated?
I am suffering from upper respiratory tract infection since 2010. Many foods an environment create mucus in throat and nose. How to get rid of this? how to improve inner membrane?
I am 52 years man. I am used to drinking boiled water, as I am allergic to drinking cold water. I suffer from sore throat if I consume cold or raw water. Please advice how to get rid of the problem. I need to consume cold water during my official tour.
I am 21 year old. When I live in crowded area or consult a new person I am feeling very nervousness and I can't control my mind that's like hypnotized and in my right side ear continuously playing some sound like tintless problem then I have depressed. Pls help me.
I am suffering from Tonsils Stones from last 4 years and now I want to get a surgical operation for this in Delhi NRC can you please suggest me what will I do.
My father is 45 years old. He is having infection in his throat which is painful. Which doctor should I consult?
Left ear mild paining ,I'm used ear swab because of itching, I usually use ear swab for ear itching, clear wax drops can reduce my pain? What can I do?
I am 22 weeks pregnant. I am suffering from frequent nose bleeds in 3-4 days. Is it due to this torturing summers. Or something else? Pls suggest wat to do.
My side teeth is paining. Do not knw why. Nothing is wrong there. Due to that my ear is also paining a bit.
Since past three six months I have started snoring loudly during sleep. Could you please provide your suggestions to stop snoring during sleep.
I am having tonsils from last two years I go to doctor to get medicine then it decrease but again it comes after 1 month. Tell me what I want to do and why this happening. I don't want to take operation. Thanks.
My daughter is 10 years old and is complaining frequently about pain in her right ear. I have used gentamycin drops but no relief. Please advise.
The tonsils are soft tissue masses which are located at the back of your throat, usually at the pharynx. The tonsils are masses which are part of the lymphatic system that helps fight infections. However, tonsils can themselves become inflamed and cause a lot of pain. Tonsillectomy is a procedure to remove the tonsils and relieve pain.
Why is tonsillectomy performed?
A few decades back, tonsillectomy was a routine surgery performed to relieve any pain within the tonsils. This method of treatment however has changed over the past few decades as pain medications for inflammation have improved vastly. However, tonsillitis is still performed in many cases wherein it tends to cause acute problems. Some of the cases it is applicable in are:
- Chronic bad breath problems caused by recurrent inflammation of the tonsils
- Recurrent sore throats caused by tonsillitis
- It is also done along with dental surgery for correcting teeth with imperfect positioning
- Abscess formation in the mouth
- Upper airway being obstructed due to inflammation, thus causing difficulty with sleeping, snoring, or causing sleep apnea (irregular breathing during sleep)
- Ear infections being regularly caused by inflammation of the tonsils
Other reasons why it may be recommended
Tonsillectomy may be also be recommended when there are no indications of problems but tonsillitis and other infections keep cropping up too regularly. This affects children and can make them sick or keep them in pain regularly. Some of these other indications are mentioned below:
- Tonsil infections and inflammations happening too frequently within a year
- Tonsillitis is caused by bacterial infection wherein the antibiotics aren’t effective
- Formation of pus in the form of an abscess within or around the tonsils which keep forming even after repeated drainage or administering antibiotics
Possible complications and risks
Like any other form of surgery, tonsillectomy has certain risks associated with it as well. However, these are very rare. Some of these risks and complications are mentioned as follows –
- Swelling of the mouth: The tongue and the soft palate or the roof of the mouth may swell, resulting in breathing difficulties an few hours after the surgery.
- Infection: As is the case with any surgery, infections may occur in rare cases, which may require further treatment.
- Adverse reactions to anesthetics: Many patients exhibit an adverse reaction to anesthetics and may develop symptoms such as a headache, nausea, muscle soreness and frequent vomiting.
- Bleeding during surgery or healing: Although it is rare, bleeding during and after surgery has been reported after all sorts of procedures and it may occur with tonsillectomy as well. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult an ENT specialist.