Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Neurosurgeons in India. You will find Neurosurgeons with more than 44 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Neurosurgeons online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Treatment of Nerve And Muscle Disorders
Treatment of Paralysis
Joint Dislocation Treatment
Treatment of Spondylosis
Treatment Of Disk Slip
Treatment Of Herniated Disc
Treatment of Spine Injuries
Brain Tumor Surgery
Treatment of Disc Prolapse
Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
Accident Injuries Treatment
Spine Surgery Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. G V ReddyYour feedback matters!
PILLOWS AND MATRESSES.
“My neck pain started two days ago, Immediately I removed my pillow”
This is the very usual dialogue that I hear in my daily practice from my patients who are suffering from neck pain. Is pillow that important factor in causing neck pain or in relieving neck pain?? Let us know the facts.
Neck pain can be caused because of various reasons. Poor neck posture is one of the reasons for neck pain. So, what should be your sleeping posture? How can a pillow alter your normal sleeping posture?
Body needs rest and sleep gives our body rest so that body and mind work efficiently. It is very important that we maintain a normal sleeping posture so that muscles also get rest.
- Spine has to be straight
- Neck has to be in line with the body.
- It is better to avoid sleeping on tummy, as you will be forced to turn your neck to one side to facilitate breathing. Whole length of your sleep is spent with the neck turned to one side, out of alignment with the body, forcing the brain to sense something wrong and you wake up with a stiff neck. Pillow has no role here!!!
So, what kind of pillow can be used?
- Pillow can neither be too hard as it doesn’t absorb the shock/ weight of head, nor it can be too soft as the weight of the head can depress the pillow down and might take neck too low than body.
- Ideally the pillow has to regain its original shape faster once you wake up from lying position. If a pillow takes too long to come back to its original shape or doesn’t come at all or remains in the same shape, its time for you to change your pillow.
- If you are lying on your back, its better to use a thin pillow which supports your head and neck. Please do not use a thick pillow in this position, as it may raise or bring your head and neck forward or higher than body causing stress to your spine.
Not using a pillow when you lie down in this position can take your neck backwards and might cause trouble breathing.
Recommended to use a thin/ lighter pillow when you lie down on your back.
- If you are lying on your side (right or left), its better to go with a thicker pillow. Ideally the pillow should be as thick as the distance between your shoulder and neck, so that when you lie down on your side the neck doesn’t go down or go up and stays in line with the body. Pillow has to be used!!
Recommended to use a thicker pillow when lying on side.
Pillow is not a major cause of neck pain. Its always better to use a pillow than not using at all. Removing the pillow the moment neck pain starts is definitely not a good solution for your neck pain. Chose the right pillow and more importantly consult your Physiotherapist.
As with the pillow for neck pain, mattress is not a major cause for back pain.
- Mattress should not be too hard, should not be too soft either.
- If it is too soft, the broader areas of our body like the hips and shoulders, might press the mattress down thereby reducing the support for other body parts, which strains them as they do not get proper support.
- If its too hard, the mattress wont be able to support the various natural curvatures of our body (broader and narrower areas), forcing the muscles to work more and get strained.
- Its better to change a sacked mattress or too depressed mattress.
- Mattress should be uniform in contour.
- Lying bare on floor wont work!!!!
And more importantly consult your Physiotherapist for back related issues.
Have a pain free life…..
I am 76 years old. I have high bp. The left part of my body is paralyzed for around 3 days. Now I am experiencing shocks in my whole body It have that energy which can't be controlled by men. It is really giving problem. please help me. What shall I do to get cure from this disease?
I am 29 years old suffering from Migraine since 6 years. I have not recognised that the headache, vomiting and blurred vision are due to migraine. I have takenhomeopathy medication for 4 months. Since then it was less frequent. Now a days headache and vomiting was very less but sudden vision disturbances persist i.e, blurred vision and not able to view the side vision. As of now no medication is been taken. Kindly suggest the cause and cure for the same.
I am suffering from nerves problem all doctors are telling no treatment for nerves problem so pls give me some suggestion doctor.
Couple of days I am feeling like losing my balance Feeling like I may fell down legs shivering I am suffering from low bp it happens like wen some one rotates you.
Migraine is a treatable disease or not. Suggest some curable ideas related to migraine. How it affects daily routine and long term relationship and behavior and study related for competitive exams.
My friend she is 24, her weight is 40, she has a cuff, while cuffing she use to get blood little bit. Along with this she use to get headache, it is migraine and she use to take tablets for it. U please suggest me. What was reason for it.
I am 26 female. I easily get numbness in my feets and hands even when I am simply seating on sofa or lying on bed and whenever I sit cross leg after few minutes its become very hard as someone put heavy weight on my legs. Please guide me in this regard what should I have to do ?
Hi doc. Three years ago I got an accident and my right hand got paralyzed yet. That situation doctors named that breichal plexus and I done a nerve surgery under my shoulder. My question is there is any better treatment or hope in my present situation.
I am suffering from migraine due to this migraine I regularly feel very down I can not bear anything some doctors tell me that stress is a main reason of migraine. What should I do?
You may find out that your child is suffering from hearing loss when he is born or he may be diagnosed with the condition later in life. Hearing loss in children is commonly caused by otitis media, birth problems and on the account of certain injuries or illnesses.
Signs and symptoms
The early stage symptoms of hearing loss in children are as follows:
No reaction to extremely loud noises
No response or reaction to your voice
The child makes some sounds, which taper off
The other symptoms which follow include:
He may pull and rub his ears.
He may act cranky constantly without any proper reason.
He might stop paying attention.
Low energy levels are indicated.
He may find it hard to follow directions.
He may ask you to increase the volume of the radio or TV.
Fever and ear pain are also likely symptoms.
Early hearing loss can affect your child’s language learning skills. If the problem is diagnosed and treated soon, the problem with language can be avoided. The method of treatment depends on the cause of hearing loss in your child and the severity of hearing loss.
There are certain medicines for hearing---prescribed by your ENT Surgeon. Pleas take the point watchful waiting. Even if you have slightest doubt of hearing loss contact ENT immediately.
The primary treatment methods of hearing loss in children include the following:
Watchful waiting: Sometimes, the condition may resolve on its own and the treatment involves simple monitoring of your child for positive changes.
Medicines: There are certain medicines for hearing loss in children, which may be prescribed by your pediatrician.
Ear tubes: Ear tubes may be recommended if medicines and monitoring do not work. The tubes allow fluid to drain and help in preventing infections. A minor surgery has to be undertaken on your child for getting the ear tubes placed. This will solve the hearing loss and other related issues.
Hearing aids: Hearing aids may be used to allow your child hear better. It is safe for children to use ear tubes after the age of one month. For the right hearing aid for your child, you need to consult a hearing specialist.
Implants: Cochlear implants are used to treat hearing loss in many children. These are electronic devices which are put in the inner ear to benefit hearing. These should be used only if hearing aids did not succeed and these are meant to be used only in case of children with serious hearing problems.
There are several other devices, which can help your child with hearing loss. For suggestions and recommendations, you must take your child to a hearing specialist.
Sir my child was 12 years old. Three times he suddenly fell on ground without any reason in toilet. Pl explain me why these happen and what can I do about him.
Whenever I sits like crossing my legs on ground for having my dinner my left leg falls asleep and when returned to standing there is lot of paining sensation in the leg and it takes some time to be normal is this problem arise due to blockage in blood flow to the leg? Any cure or prescription?
I have low bp n hemoglobin is also 8.7 I have also migraine problem? My age is 26. Pls give suggestion n pls tell what medicine I have to take to cure all?
hello doctors! I'm 25 years old. Unmarried and working lady. I've been suffering from a number of problems, some from my adolescence which are still there and have become chronic and some have developed recently. I have many health issues at the same time, below is the list:- 1- i'm exhausted all the time, I feel lethargic and slouchy. 2- few years back I used to have extreme pelvic pain; I couldn't stand the pain and my Dr. Gave me injections of voveran. Now from the last year my periods are not regular, I just menstruate for one day. 3- i'm constantly putting on weight, especially around my belly. I exercise but it doesn't help. 4- when I was 13 years old my knees used to knuckle/crack a lot. This condition remained for 8-9 years. Now it doesn't happen but i've severe pain in my knees and ankles; i'm not able to climb stairs, I can't do cycling I can't walk fast, cannot jump/jog, in short I feel like a 60 years old lady. 5- also I pent when I climb stairs or walk fast. My folks say that i'm a lazy girl and not at all attentive. 6- i'm absent minded, so much forgetful. I misplace things most of the time. One doctor said i've dementia or alzheimer's. I'm shocked. 7- I look pale and have many skin problems, like breakouts, scars, black head white heads, patchy skin. Did consult doctors. But nothing did really help. Blood test already done, there's no blood infection. 8- i've consulted a gynaecologist too for my periods and skin issues, conducted some tests which were normal. I feared of pcos but luckily it was not that but there was some watery discharge from my left breast. 9- i'm short sighted too and my number is -8. Severe headache is common. 10 - in 2013 I was down with typhoid. My haemoglobin was 7.8 at that time and I took iron tabs (dexorange) for three months. 11- four five years back I had a bone marrow test which indicated my bones were weak. In later years I consulted an specialist he said I hv arthritis, I didn't continue the medicines. 12- my tongue has unusual black spots. My metabolism isn't good. Constipation is not a regular problem. 13- recently i'm realising that my body's tiny hair including my face is growing dark. I fear of hormonal problem. 14- from last one month i've chronic bony pain especially in my hands, feet and legs. My finger joints are paining like anything, I can't keep my feet on the floor, it hurts badly. I'm not able to sleep due to unbearable pain. In fact I can't explain my condition. Every part of my body pains, I feel sick, very very sick. Please help, what should I do, i'm stressed out, not even able to work properly in my office. Where to start? who's the right doctor? please help out.
I am suffering from leprosy I have taken treatment for 6 months but my right hand fingers crossed doctor told take physiotherapy am I cured from from leprosy r not.
- Occurs suddenly
- There is neurological problem or paralysis (lakwa)
- It may be temporarily or permanent
- May lead to sudden dearth
1. Sudden trouble in walking, co-ordination, balance
2. Sudden dizziness
3. Sudden sever headache
4. Sudden numbness or weakness of face / arm/ leg- specially on one side
5. Sudden confusion/ problem in understanding
6. Sudden speech problem
7. Sudden problem in vision (seeing) in one or both eyes
- Blockage of an blood vessel in the brain by a clot
- Rupture of blood vessel in the brain.
- Time is crucial- to reverse or reduce the damage to brain cells . brain cells die within minutes to few hours and do not regenerate - thus lead to permanent loss of function.
- A clot bursting drug is required to be given within 3-6 hrs.
- Blood thinning medicine are to be continued for a long time
- Progress in the disease is continuous process and continues for years
By controlling risk factors like
Recognize the symptoms of stroke and act immediately – to take the patent to hospital.