Find numerous Nephrologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Nephrologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Nephrologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Submit a review for Dr. G K PrakashYour feedback matters!
" The theme of world kidney day 2017 is “kidney disease and obesity. Healthy lifestyle for healthy kidneys”"
Quick kidney facts
On occassion of world kidney day 9th march 2017. Here are a few interesting facts about kidney.
They're not just your body's cleanup crew. Without them we’d be swimming in our own waste.
We’re born with a pair, yet we can manage with just one. That’s why you can donate a kidney and remain alive and well.
1. The kidneys have a higher blood flow than even the brain, liver or heart.
2. The kidneys reabsorb and redistribute 99% of the blood volume and only 0.1% of the blood filtered becomes urine.
3. Healthy kidneys work 24hrs a day/7 days a week to clean the blood.
4. Kidneys will continue performing until they have lost 75-80% of their function.
5. Kidneys represent only 0.5% of total body’s weight
6. The kidneys of a newborn baby are about 3x larger in proportion to body weight as in the adult.
7. Kidney stones are an accumulation of mineral salts and mostly combined with calcium which can lodge anywhere along the course of the urinary tract.
8. Refined carbohydrates and sugar will stimulate the pancreas to release insulin. This causes extra calcium to be excreted in the urine. Alas, kidney stones.
9. Kidney beans (rajma), true to their name are kidney shaped. They provide nutrients that are helpful to the human kidneys.
10. Each kidney contains 1 million individual filters. They filter an average of around 1.3 liters (2.2 pints) of blood per minute, and expel up to 1.4 liters (2.5 pints) a day of urine.
Take good care of such a vital organ.