Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Dentists in India. You will find Dentists with more than 37 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Dentists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Root Canal Treatment
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Tooth Extraction Procedure
Dental Extractions Procedure
Skin Rash Treatment
Gap Closing (Dental) Treatment
Artificial Teeth Treatment
Treatment of Root Canal Treatment (RCT)
Wisdom Tooth Removal Procedure
Teeth Scaling & Polishing
Braces Treatment for Adults and Teens
Teeth Cleaning (Scaling) Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. Dilip KeshavYour feedback matters!
I am 40yr old man my last two teeth have half damaged for which I can not eat hard food please suggest me what can I do
Hello doc, i am 27 years old male. Suffering from mumps since 4 days. Face has swollen across jaw line. And there is pain also. Visited a doctor and having all the medicines but problem has not gone. Please advice what should i do
I am 25 years old and I want to put braces for teeth alignment .but . Will it be good idea to get treatment?
I am a 25 years old male and I am suffering from jaw problems, I can't take cold drinks. What should I do sir?
I have been suffering from severe toothache. It looks like i'm having sensitive teeth. I'm getting pain especially when i'm eating or drinking cold stuff. Please guide me.
I have a problem with my teeth gum. Once I check my mouth my gum is behind my teeth ang thats ok. But on the other side my gum cover hal of my teeth and I mostly have headache. Feels like the veins above my ear.
Hi, I had a surgical tooth extraction a week back. Since half of my tooth was broken the removal of the tooth took quite some time. Also I had root canal treatment done on the same tooth 10 years back. The root was too hard so the dentist struggled a lot with normal procedures. Finally she used hand drill tool to remove the tooth and put some stitches on it. Tomorrow I have to go for the review as well as to remove the stitches. My question is I am still having some pain, is it normal? I don't have any bleed or swelling but only the pain.
I have one side Gingivitis (பல் ஈறு வீக்கம்). I face this problem every month. What should I do? please give me a one permanent solution for this.
Lot of mucus is formed in my mouth. And people around me feel bad smell from my mouth. I brush twice a day and gargle with crystal salt water twice a day.
The gums are also called the periodontium which means perio for around and dontium for tooth as the gums are literally present "around the tooth." There is a softer mucosal portion that runs along the tooth in a curved manner and a stronger fibrous portion that connects the tooth to the jaw bone. Together, they provide the structural support for the tooth to be held in place. In addition they also have an aesthetic value with the healthy pink color.
The mouth has the largest number of bacteria in the body, which act on the food debris that is present on the tooth and the gums. This causes infection in both the gums and the tooth.
Types: Periodontal disease can be localized or general.
- Localized disease happens when a tooth is not accessible for thorough cleaning. The inside surface of lower incisors and outer surfaces of the upper last molars are common areas of localized periodontal disease.
- Generalized periodontal disease can be due to conditions like pregnancy, puberty, diabetes problem where gums around all the teeth are affected.
Symptoms: In both the cases, the following symptoms ensue:
- The gums are of a healthy pink color and if they turn darker hue of pink
- Swollen and/or painful gums
- Spontaneous bleeding: This may be localized or generalized
- Chronic bad breath: Due to food accumulation in the infected gums
- If it continues to form an abscess, pressure on the gums can produce pus
- Bad taste in the mouth (arising from pus in the gums)
- Gingival recession, producing an effect of having longer tooth
- Dentin is exposed leading sensitivity to hot or cold foods
- Loosening of the tooth
- Painful chewing, as it puts pressure on the inflamed periodontium
- Dentist will identify what are called pockets, which is an indication of severity - the deeper the pockets, the severe the disease.
Management and Prevention: Gum disease is very easy to identify and can be completely cured.
- Regular brushing and flossing can help maintain regular oral hygiene
- With each brushing session, plain finger massage of the gums improves blood circulation and their overall health
- Regular use of mouth rinse is a good way to improve gum health
- Regular visits to the dentist can help keep a check on the health of the teeth and the gums - early identification of disease and early treatment
- Once it has set in, deep scaling followed by root planing may be required to thoroughly clear out the infection
- More surgical options like gingival grafts, flap surgery, bone grafting in case of severe bone loss may be required.
- Management of conditions like diabetes
The best way to avoid periodontal disease is to know its symptoms, follow oral hygiene practices, and consult a dentist regularly.