Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Gynaecologists in India. You will find Gynaecologists with more than 42 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Gynaecologists online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Devaki
Management of Abortion
Caesarean Section Procedure
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Termination Of Pregnancy Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Treatment Of Medical Diseases In Pregnancy
Treatment Of Menstrual Problems
Intra-Uterine Insemination (IUI) Treatment
Medical Termination Of Pregnancy (Mtp) Procedure
Gynecology Laparoscopy Procedures
Pap Smear Procedure
Submit a review for Dr. DevakiYour feedback matters!
Dilation and curettage procedure which is commonly referred to as D&C is a minor surgical procedure where the cervix is dilated while a special instrument is used for scraping out the lining of the uterus. It is important to know what you can expect before, after and during the process so that you can stay ahead of unnecessary worries and help the process to be smooth and fruitful.
When do doctors recommend dilation and curettage process?
You may be required to undergo the dilation and curettage procedure for one of many reasons. It can be used for removal of tissues in the uterus during or after an abortion or miscarriage or to remove little pieces of placenta after delivery. This process aids in preventing infection as well as heavy bleeding. On the other hand, it can help in diagnosing and treating abnormal uterine bleeding including polyps, fibroids, hormonal imbalances and even uterine cancer. A sample of the tissues in the uterus is tested under a microscope to check if there is any abnormal cell present.
What can you expect during the dilation and curettage process?
The D&C procedure is a minor one and takes about 15 minutes even though you will have to spend about 4 to 5 hours in the healthcare facility. Before the procedure, your doctor would check complete history, and at this point, you should tell your doctor if you suspect that you are pregnant, you are sensitive to latex or any medicines or if you have a history of bleeding disorders. You will then be given anesthesia so that you don’t feel any pain or discomfort during the procedure. Before this procedure, you will have to empty your bladder.
The D&C procedure comprises two main steps, dilation, and curettage.
Dilation involves opening of the lower part of the uterus or the cervix for allowing insertion of a slender rod. This is done to soften the cervix so that it opens and allows curettage to be performed. Curettage involves scraping of the lining and removal of the uterine contents with the help of a spoon-like instrument known as a curette. This may cause some amount of cramping, and a tissue sample would be taken out for examination in the laboratory.
After the completion of the procedure, you may experience slight bleeding and cramping. In some rare cases, adhesions or scar tissues may start forming inside the uterus, and this condition is termed as Asherman’s syndrome which can cause changes in the menstrual cycle along with infertility. This problem, if arises, can be solved with the help of surgery and therefore, you should report any abnormality in your menstrual cycle to your doctor. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
What is the meaning of tpha positive Treponema pallidum haemagglutination ? Please explain in hindi. My husband is tpha positive. And tell treatment also.
I have done usg also and hormones level also my lh hormone was low 2.2 and usg as normal. still I m getting scanty period.
What if someone is detected with polycystic ovaries. Is it good to be early diagnosed or one should leave it as it is ?
I am 20 years old I missed my periods frm last 5 to 6 days I am thinking tht m pregnant I had checked my pregnancy by the kit frm last 2 days but it shows me negative result. Should I try aftr 2 ya 3 days to check whether m pregnant or not.
The adage you are familiar with goes quite like, "all's well that ends well". However, when it comes to food and nutrition, the way you start your day is of considerable importance. Nutritionists, dieticians and doctors, in general, have repeatedly laid stress on the fact that breakfast is the most essential meal of the day. The reason behind such a prescription is simple; your body is provided with a light dinner sometime late in the evening. Dinner happens to be the last meal of the day. The digestive system is allowed to rest throughout the night until you wake up in the morning. Your digestive system therefore, breaks the fast with the first meal of the day and hence, the kind of food you intake in the morning is particularly vital in deciding the course of your overall digestive health.
Take a look at the following tips for a healthy start to your day:
- Oats can be your saviour: Have you been running away from a bowlful of bland tasting oats? You should perhaps encourage yourself to think about the wide range of advantages brewed and cooked in there and thus have this food for breakfast. Oatmeal is a great source of energy. It is a low calorie food option and helps in countering the effects of bad cholesterol. Oatmeal is also sought after for its lignan content that further defends the human body against various types of cancer.
- Try and have fresh fruits in combination with your first meal: Whatever you choose to have for breakfast must be complemented with fresh fruits. Fruits help in accelerating metabolic activity in your body providing you with energy received from the natural sugars present in a fruit. It is easier to digest fruits; grapefruits, lemons, oranges and berries should therefore be incorporated in your breakfast.
- Early morning tete-a-tete with tea: A cup of tea in the morning can prove to be useful in more than a couple of ways. Tea for long has been known to improve a person's health and protect him or her from diseases. Drinking tea can prevent the development of bacteria or virus inside your mouth; it also facilitates better functioning of your brain cells.
- Befriend eggs for their health benefits: Eggs for breakfast is the best way to balance your protein needs with your usual carbohydrate or fiber intake. Egg white supplies your body with calcium and are rich in antioxidants that defend your eyes against the harmful UV rays of the sun.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I am 16 weeks pregnant and on insulin from the very first day of my pregnancy. I am taking 10 unit in morning and 9 in evening of Human Mixtard 30. My glucose level is 102 in fasting and 115 in PP. Do I need to increase my dose of insulin or it is normal in pregnancy? Also let me know the targeted glucose level during my pregnancy. Before pregnancy I was taking isomate 500 twice after food. After delivery can I come back again in medication or I need to continue insulin rest of my life? please help.
I am bleeding since last 25 days. I am bleeding a lot during my menstrual cycle and clots are coming which is really painful for me I am not sexually active and having pain in my lower stomach area. What could be the cause of it and treatment for this. I am worried for this What are the reasons of this.
People who rarely fall ill and are able to undertake strenuous tasks are said to have a strong constitution. When talking in terms of health, constitution refers to a person’s physical and mental strength. The stronger your constitution, the healthier you are. Having a strong constitution also makes treatment more effective in case you do fall ill. Here are a few tips to help build a strong constitution.
- Eat a well-balanced diet: Missing out on important nutrients may not have immediate effects, but in the long run, will cause deficiencies and harm your constitution. Not following a healthy diet is also one of the most common reasons for reduced immunity. In a day you must eat 2-3 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables and at least one serving of carbs and proteins.
- Drink plenty of water: It isn’t enough to give your body all the nutrients it requires, you must also drink plenty of water so that your body can absorb these nutrients. Water plays an important role in every process of the body from the digestive system to the circulatory system. Water also helps eliminate wastes and toxins from your body.
- Avoid processed foods: Processed foods have very little nutritional value but have a high fat content. Jams, packaged juices, breads, cakes etc. are packed with additional sugar that lead to weight gain and other problems associated with it. Instead, snack on fruits and nuts and drink freshly squeezed juice.
- Exercise daily: Exercise not only helps you regulate your weight, it also helps tone and strengthen muscles. Exercise also makes a person more flexible and boosts the immune system. Ideally, exercise outdoors early in the morning for half an hour a day but if that isn’t possible, break up your workout into smaller sections. Simple ways of incorporating exercise in your daily life are to use the stairs instead of the elevator or walk short distances.
- Meditate: Your mental health is as important as your physical health. Stress has a huge impact on your health and daily meditation is an easy way to deal with everyday stresses. Set aside time at the beginning of each day to quietly meditate and ready your mind for the day’s tasks.
- Get adequate sleep: Your body uses the time you are asleep to rebuild muscles and repair tissues. A person should ideally have an uninterrupted sleep of 8 hours a day. Sleep deficiency can lower your immunity, cause irritability and mood swings etc. To ensure you get a good night’s sleep, create and follow a sleep routine of going to bed and waking up the same time every day. If you wish to discuss about any specific problem, you can consult a dietitian-nutritionist.