Lybrate.com has a number of highly qualified Pediatricians in India. You will find Pediatricians with more than 29 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Pediatricians online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Adolescent Problems Treatment
Limping Child Treatment
Management of New Born Care
Treatment of Newborn Jaundice
Treatment of Thyroid Disease in Children
Thyroid Disorder Treatment
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Adolescent Disorders Treatment
Treatment of Child and Adolescent Problems
Treatment of Childhood Diabetes
Cleft Lip Treatment
Management of Postnatal Care
Child Growth Management
Treatment of Childhood Infections
Management of Childhood Nutrition
Congenital Ear Problem Treatment
Quad Screening Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Dev KumarYour feedback matters!
In pediatrics, we often say “children are not little adults” but in the case of the common cold, they really are. They have the same symptoms, runny nose, red-rimmed eyes, cough and they just FEEL YUCKY! With those symptoms most babies are fussier than usual and don’t sleep well at night, which is just like an adult with a cold (or maybe just me). for an infant, they are usually up and down all night, don’t feed as well, and just want to be held a little more.
When an infant gets a cold it is not uncommon for them to run a fever along with the cold symptoms. This usually only lasts a day or two and then resolves, but the other common cold symptoms may last from seven to 10 days.
With a cold they may not want to nurse or drink their bottle as well as they have a hard time breathing and sucking. This leads to a cranky baby, who may take less with each feeding, but will need to eat more often.
It is important to make sure that they stay hydrated. fluids are the most important thing. If your baby is having difficulty taking the bottle or latching on due to the congestion , you could feed with a katori spoon or a paladey with gaps in between . small frequent feeds will do the job.
Place the tip of the bulb syringe inside the baby’s nostril to remove mucous and help them breath and eat. You may also use a little salt water nose drops to squirt up their nose to help the mucous come out.
It also helps to get a mist humidifier to place in the room at night to help put some moisture in the air while the heat is running and the air is dry. The mist will also help alleviate some of the thicker mucous and also help the cough that accompanies the cold.
The most important thing to watch for is any sign of respiratory distress. A child’s breathing may “sound noisy” but it is important once again to look at their chest to make sure that they are not using those muscles between the ribs and “pulling” when they are breathing.
Coughs are also protective in that they help move mucous and keep the airway clear to prevent pneumonia. Lastly, your child should look a little better after the first several days of their cold. They should not develop fever later in the cold, and if they do it would be worth a pediatrician visit to check their ears. Not every baby with a cold gets an ear infection and they usually develop after they have had several days of cold symptoms, and not on the first day of a cold.
That’s your daily dose, stay tuned to my next update on your baby's health tips .Send in your questions or comments to babiesandmom.com !
Stay happy and stay healthy !
Dr Gorika's Children's Medical center
Our motto at GCMC is to "Treat every child as if you are treating your own child" This is one such destination where we assure perfect health for your little one. "We care for your newly born till they're eighteen"
My 1.5 month son is spitting (foamy) too much and is taking out much milk from nose and mouth. I am much worried. Please guide.
Kya aap mujhe 18 month baby se baby ka diet chart de sakte ho .ek normal daily routine me bache k ache growth& health k liye uski dekhbhal kaise ki jaaye. Pls suggest me.
I have 4 months baby. When I m pregnant I got pimples on my face and they turned into black spots amd after delivery also they will not disappear. Now I m using femcinol A. How to get rid off these pimples and black spots?
If children of one month is vomiting excessively and her weight decreased by one kilo. Then what is the probable cases possible.
Is Oats are good for babies age upto 5 years. Oats are meant for reducing for weight or I have some wrong understanding.
My baby has chest congestion. The doc advised to give him. Steam thru vaporizer. I have bought sodium chloride injection along with Levolin, but do not know how to use it. Do I need to add water to vaporizer in order to make sufficient steam? Confused.
Hello doctor. What are The best foods to increase breast milk. As I'm a mother of 4 months old child and there is a lack of breast milk since 3rd month. Help me doctors please.
4month old baby girl has adequate amount of blood discharged when she tried to pass her stool and also vomiting. Please advise the likely reasons.
My 6 month baby is vomiting frequently and also have motion problem very loose. Is this normal at this age or should we take treatment. We feed only milk.
World Diabetes Day is celebrated on 14 November, each year. It is the primary global awareness campaign for diabetes as it is one of the major problem of today's time. With an upsurge in the number of people suffering from diabetes, the sole aim of celebrating this day is to create awareness about this disease and suggest preventive measures to those who have not acquired it and provide tips to manage it to those who are living with it.
So, here are 15 health tips that will help you manage your diabetes effectively:
- You should quit smoking as it is very bad for diabetic patients. Smoking leads to narrowing of the blood vessels, which reduces proper blood circulation.
- You have to track your exercise patterns. Take actual notes about your exercise habits and make necessary changes based on the record.
- Eliminate fast food from your diet. Avoid eating out at restaurants and avoid taking extra salt, sugar and calories. You should cook your meals at home with light ingredients and less salt and sugar.
- Diabetes severely affects your vision and blindness is and blindness is a serious problem which may occur. Hence, get your vision checked regularly to prevent retinopathy.
- Avoid having quick coffees. Fancy cups of coffee are full of sugar, which lead to glucose and insulin fluctuation in your body.
- You must stay active and fit. This is the most important lifestyle choice for any diabetic patient. By exercising, you will maintain a good shape, your metabolism gets boosted and the insulin production increases as well.
- You should use a pedometer to calculate how much you are moving each day while exercising.
- Try to consume fruits and vegetables. By trying new vegetables and fruits, you will be able to keep your blood sugar under check and see how your body reacts.
- You must increase your amount of fibre intake. Fibre is important for diabetic patients, which keeps the digestive processes to run smoothly. Your cholesterol level decreases and blood sugar levels may reduce if you take enough fibre.
- You should chew gum as it keeps your mouth busy. It makes you crave for less food.
- You should eat on smaller plates. This is a psychological trick which makes you consume less amount of food and your sugar and calorie levels are maintained.
- Before taking any food item or eating out, gather information about them. Learn about diabetes friendly food options at restaurants and check which products you should avoid buying from the market.
- You should get your blood sugar levels checked regularly. You should check it several times a day to learn how your body responds to food.
- Circulation problems may cause issues with your feet, which may lead to a lack of sensation, cuts and scrapes. Check your feet regularly to notice changes.
- Instead of having 2,3 large meals a day, you should take several small meals throughout the day. This will keep your body’s digestive processes active thereby increasing insulin sensitivity.
It's important to teach kids about cavities at an early age. The more they know about how to keep their teeth healthy, the more likely it is that they'll develop good dental habits - and keep those up throughout their lives.
Here are some pointers so you can talk to your kids about cavities and how to prevent them.
What are cavities and what causes them?
A cavity is a hole that forms in a tooth. Everything we eat and drink, especially sweets forms plaque. If we're not careful, plaque can attack our teeth and damage them.
Why are cavities bad?
A cavity causes harm to your tooth, and it can also be painful to you. If left untreated, the hole can grow and get bigger or deeper. It may get so big that that the whole tooth gets damaged. If that happens, your dentist may have to remove it.
How can I protect my teeth from cavities?
Cavities can form if we eat too many sweets and don't clean our teeth properly. The best way to protect your teeth is to choose healthy snacks like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Try to avoid sugary foods and drinks, like candy and soda.
If you do eat sweets, have them with your lunch or dinner, and then brush your teeth right after. When sugar stays on your teeth for a long time it can cause damage, so try not to snack throughout the day when you may not be able to brush. You should also brush your teeth after an ever meal, or at least twice a day. And don't forget to visit your dentist every six months for regular checkups!
What if I think I have a cavity?
A cavity can be painful, so if your child has a toothache, schedule an appointment with your dentist right away. At the appointment, the dentist will look at your child's teeth and take x-rays to see if there is a cavity.
What happens if I get a cavity?
If you have a cavity, your dentist can help. He or she will give you some medicine to numb your mouth and make you comfortable. They'll use a special drill to remove the damaged part of your tooth. Then they'll fill everything in with a special material, and you'll have what's called a filling.
Remember that healthy dental habits are the best way to prevent cavities. The more you can teach your kids about good hygiene and serve as a role model, the better off their dental health will be in the long run!