Lybrate.com has a nexus of the most experienced Psychologists in India. You will find Psychologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can view profiles of all Psychologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Deepa Pai
Treatment of Depression
Management of Smoking Addiction
Treatment & Management of Stress
Treatment of Anxiety
Treatment of Fear
Treatment of Memory Loss
Treatment of Anxiety and Depression
Treatment of OCD
Treatment Of Anxiety Attacks
Treatment of Stress at Work
Sex Addiction Counselling
Anger Management Therapy
Treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal
Treatment of Behaviour & Thought Problems
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Treatment of Personality Disorder
Substance Addiction Management
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Treatment
Treatment of Drug Abuse and Addiction
Submit a review for Dr. Deepa PaiYour feedback matters!
Hello, I am started drinking a tonic made of turmeric, ginger,curry leaves. I don't know exactly because of that or not. Am having serious neck pain. Please save me from this.
I was suffering from mental stress for last one and half year for that I left the job. I consulted with psychiatrist and is under his medication. I did quit drinking but I smoke 3-4 cigarettes per day. Sometimes when I get tensed, I feel very nervous and feel some problems in nerves especially in hands & head. Please guide me how can I get rid of nerve problem. My height is 5" 8 & weight is 65 kg.
A particularly stressful situation or event that has created terror or been overly dramatic or dangerous can lead to stress and anxiety long after the individual has physically come out of the situation. This kind of a traumatic condition is usually what characterises Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PSTD). In simple words, PTSD is a neurological disorder which affects individuals after experiencing severe traumatic situations.
Symptoms of PSTD:
- Mood symptoms: mood swings are the most common outcome of these symptoms. The patient may experience a complete lack of enthusiasm and drive to indulge in activities like hobbies and socialising. Also, the patient may end up harbouring feelings of negativity towards family, friends and strangers, besides going through phases of guilt and self blame for the occurrence of the traumatic event.
- Re-experiencing symptoms: these symptoms include flashbacks and life like re-imagination in the form of dreams and nightmares. In many cases, the patient may remember and re-experience the entire scene or series of events that have led to the trauma in the first place. This can be triggered by a memory or association with words, events and other such things that have to do with the memory of the traumatic episode.
- Arousal symptoms: arousal or reactivity symptoms may trigger the same reactions that the person showed during the traumatic experience. These may include being on edge constantly in anticipation of a reoccurrence, or even getting startled by the slightest thing since the mind is already occupied with thoughts of the event, constantly. Anger and emotional outbursts may also be caused due to these symptoms.
- Avoidance or rumination: Those suffering from PTSD avoid being reminded of the trauma, such as people, situations or circumstances associated with the event. They try to suppress memories associated with the event.- Many others ruminate excessively and prevent themselves from coming to terms with it.
Duration of PSTD:
PSTD usually lasts up to six months. Yet, there are cases where it lingers on and requires treatment for some particular types of symptoms or behavioural changes.
Treatment for PSTD:
Mindfulness meditation (not a treatment option) helps in recognizing cognitive dissonances and affected thought patterns and aids in recognizing and overcoming their influence. Other therapies, including Cognitive behavioral therapy (TF-CBT) and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) are also done depending on the patient's condition.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Ayurveda is a renowned life science that has been credited with changing lives since ancient times. Not only can it prevent diseases and ailments, but it can also cure them with its combination of herbal medication, everyday routine and yogic poses. Weight management is a field that also enjoys various Ayurvedic remedies. Some of them are as follows.
- Herbs: Herbs are a way of healing used by Ayurveda, and the use of various herbs can help in hastening the metabolism for healthy weight management.
- Taste: Ayurveda recognizes six distinct tastes that should be incorporated into one's daily diet. These tastes include salty, pungent, sour, sweet, bitter and finally, astringent. Each of these tastes has several properties that balance the various hormones and health factors in one's body. These tastes form the various counterpoints to alleviate all kinds of health problems, which finally help in effective weight management. Also, one must eat all the seasonal fruits and vegetables to keep the body and hormones in good balance.
- Exercise: While a daily routine of exercise is a must in any life science, Ayurveda too propagates the devotion of at least 45 minutes to one hour towards some form of exercise. Walking is said to be the most important and effective forms of exercise, followed by several yoga poses that can help in better weight management. Also, as per Ayurveda, it is important to move after each and every meal, so that a routine of eating and activity is built into the system.
- Sleep: Ayurveda recognizes sleep or rest as one of the most important aspects of a healthy lifestyle. While good eating habits and exercise form one side of it, sleep or rest completes the triangle. One can also practice the Savasana or resting pose for a period of rest. And at least six to seven hours of sleep is a must as per Ayurveda.
- Meditation: This practice helps in focusing on awareness which can instil the desired function like weight management in the body. Being mindful of what your body needs can also help in eating and exercising right.
Weight management is a lifelong process in Ayurveda.