Find numerous Ayurvedas in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ayurvedas with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Ayurvedas online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Treatment Of Male Sexual Problems
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment Of Female Sexual Problems
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Chronic Skin Allergy Treatment
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Submit a review for Dr. BhavyaYour feedback matters!
What is pcos/pcod?
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (pcos) or polycystic ovarian disease (pcod) is a very common issue affecting about 10-20% of young women of child bearing age group. It consists of development of cystic structure or multiple cavities containing fluid within the ovaries. Because of multiple cysts in ovaries give rise to various problems related to hormonal imbalance.
Who are prone to get pcos?
Though not clear, there are various risk factors that can be associated with increased risk of pcos. These include obesity (body mass index >30), family history, some genetic issues, taking various medications like antiepileptics (used for seizures), stressful life and physical inactivity.
What are signs and symptoms of pcod?
You must look for following symptoms and consult a physician if you are getting these:-
- Irregular and longer periods
- Increase in weight
- Unable to become pregnant (infertility)
- Growing hairs over body
- Increased urination, thirst
How pcos is diagnosed?
- Doctor will look for all the symptoms of pcos mentioned above and may ask you to do various laboratory tests like:-
- Transvaginal sonography (to see for multiple cysts in one or both ovaries)
- Hormonal blood tests (tsh, antimullerian hormone, fsh, lh, androgen levels)
- Urine examination
- Blood glucose levels
- Hysterosalpingography (hsg) if infertility is a problem. Hsg will tell whether fallopian tubes are patent or is there any block that is causing infertility.
What lifestyle changes are helpful in pcos?
Pcos is a growing problem and many a times associated modern lifestyle that causes weight gain and increased chances of getting pcos. Mainstay of management of pcos is having healthy lifestyle habits. A patient of pcos should try these lifestyle modifications to prevent harmful effects of pcos.
- Regular exercise (walking, jogging, roping)
- Yoga and meditation
- Avoid oily, frozen foods
- Avoid alcohol and smoking
- Avoid stress and worries as possible
What are treatment modalities available for pcos?
After diagnosing pcos, physician may first tell patient to have healthy lifestyle and diet modifications. There are many ways to treat a patient of pcos.
Oral contraceptive pills- regularize your menstrual periods and prevent growth of excessive hairs over body. Oc pill may not be advised to women who are trying to conceive and undergoing treatment of infertility.
Metformin- is a medication generally used in diabetes mellitus is also useful in treating pcos as it treat insulin resistance (a common issue in pcos patients that lead to diabetes). Metformin also help women reducing weight.
Treatment of infertility: In pcos infertility is a common issue and most often may resolve after treatment. There is problem in ovulation in pcos, hence physician may prescribe medicines that enhance your ovulation. Clomiphene 50mg starting dose from day 2 to day 7 of menstrual cycle is very commonly used medication to induce ovulation. Ovulation monitoring by sonography or by using ovulation kits is performed to check whether ovulation is occurring or not. Fsh may also be used for maturation of follicles that leads to ovulation. In-vitro fertilisation (ivf) is used when other medical treatment for infertility and lifestyle modification failed to work. Surgery to drill multiple abnormal cysts may be performed rarely. Acupuncture may be useful but no any clear-cut evidence.
So, if you are having any symptom of pcos, consult your physician at earliest and get it treated. Always remember to have stress-free and healthy lifestyle habits which is of utmost important in managing and preventing pcos.
It is being told by mom that she had severe acne problem till her marriage. Same is getting carry forwarded to me as well. I do have oily skin facing lots of skin issue. Low on confidence due to scar repetitive acne blackheads at 33 also. 1. I have referred one of well known dermatologist since 2008 on chronic acne issue. I have been advised for macrotar- 500 Apigel ointment and dermadew acne care soap. Is this right medicine? 2. After a year when I Stop above medication as it was very expensive the issue erupted again. Then I was advised by isotroin-10 Niltan ointment along with DD acne soap. The moment I Stop this treatment again get infected. What could be the reason? 3. I am dark in complexion but desire for healthy skin at 33 atkeast. It's ambrassing situation when you're kids called you as dangerous face. Kindly suggest best possible medicine as its saddest feeling.
Alongwith other problems, hormonal imbalance also has its effect on hair. Hair does not just get dry, dull and full of dandruff but because of hormonal issues, one can experience hair loss too. But this problem has solutions too. Let’s see how hair loss caused due to hormonal imbalance can be controlled.
1. Healthy and balanced diet: Taking a balanced diet full of proteins, vitamins, minerals including green vegetables and fruits is the best way of taking good care of hair. Rather than applying things externally on hair, it’s more beneficial to eat a healthy diet which will show not only on your face but hair too. Quality of hair and glow on your face says a lot about kind of diet you are taking.
2. Consumption of Omega 3 fatty acids: Our body produces many types of acids some are harmful and some are harmless. But it doesn’t produce omega 3 fatty acid which can help in new hair growth when the hair loss is due to hormonal imbalance. You can easily get omega 3 fatty acid from fish, walnuts and flax seeds.
3. Scalp massage: Scalp massage is the easiest and cheapest way of avoiding hair loss that has been caused due to hormonal imbalance. Regular oil massage increases blood flow that helps in giving new life to the roots of hair resulting in hair growth.
4. Proper sleep and exercise: Sound sleep and exercise also helps in hair growth once it has started falling down because of hormonal imbalance. Both these things will take care of your mental peace and good health in general which will have positive impact on the quality and thickness of hair.
5. Reduction in caffeine and alcohol: Hormonal imbalance that causes hair loss is also caused by excessive intake of caffeine and alcohol. One must reduce its quantity if it cannot be fully avoided. It’s responsible for degenerating the endocrine system as well.
If you would like to consult with me privately, please click on 'Consult'.