Find numerous Ophthalmologists in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Ophthalmologists with more than 43 years of experience on Lybrate.com. Find the best Ophthalmologists online in Bangalore. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. B V Ashalata
Treatment of Red Eyes
Treatment of Dark Circle
Treatment of Eye Pain
Treatment of Conjunctivitis
Treatment of Weak Eyes
Treatment of Black eye
Treatment of Eye Itching
Treatment of Eye Infection
Treatment of Tearing Eyes
Treatment of Eye Burning
Treatment of Myopia
Treatment of Eye Allergy
Treatment of Poor Eye Sight
Management of Blindness
Treatment of Dry Eyes
Treatment of Cataract
Treatment of Squint
Treatment of Watery Eyes
Submit a review for Dr. B V AshalataYour feedback matters!
Dr. Ashalata is a very competent doctor. She listens to her patients' problems patiently and explains their cause and line of treatment.
Anurag D Desai
I had taken my daughter for a regular eye check up. Doctor was very professional and made her feel very comfortable
With so many of us using computers and laptops at work, computer eye strain has become a major complaint. Studies have shown that eye strain and other distressing visual symptoms occur in 50 to 90 percent of individuals working on the computers. The problems can range from physical fatigue to minor annoyance like red eye and eye twitching, thus resulting in decreased productivity and an increment in errors.
And, with an increasingly digitized world, computers can never be replaced. Though they have made your work easier, they do come with certain disadvantages as well. So, it is important that you take certain precautionary measures to protect your eyes. Here are some of them:
- Wash your eyes: Wash your eyes on a regular basis as it facilitates cooling and relaxation of the eyes. Make it a routine to wash your eyes at least 5 to 6 times in a day.
- Get computer glasses: Use computer glasses to protect your eyes as they help in minimizing the effect of the radiation from the screen. If you work for long hours in front of the computer, then you should consider getting a pair of computer glasses.
- The position of your screen: The screen should ideally be positioned at an arm’s length and the viewing angle of the monitor should be around 35 degrees. Make sure you position your chair accordingly, keeping these tips in mind.
- Eye exercise: You should perform some eye exercises regularly to reduce the strain and to give relaxation to your eyes. Follow the 20-20 rule wherein after working on your computer for 20 minutes, you redirect your gaze to an object that is around 20 feet away. This helps your eye muscles to relax and thus, improves your eye health.
- Don’t work at a stretch: Take breaks in between your work sessions to reduce fatigue in your eyes. Constantly staring at a screen for an extended amount of time can cause problems in your eye. Take 2 minutes breaks for every 20 minutes you spend working on your computer. This helps to reduce the strain on your eyes also helps to release tension in the muscles of the neck and back.
- Blink more than usual: Blinking moistens your eyes and causes tear production which curbs dryness in your eyes. It also prevents eye irritation and helps in clearing out dirt from the eyes.
Apart from following these tips, you should also make sure to go in for a regular eye check-up, so as to avoid any major problems. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Problems in vision are a common occurrence these days; various factors such as spending a lot of time looking at smartphones and computers are a major cause of these problems. There are various natural remedies which can help you improve your eyesight, they are:
- Wash, especially after coming back from outside, your eyes regularly: Washing your eyes regularly with water helps in clearing out debris from the eyes and relaxing the eye muscles.
- Eat Healthy: Eating a healthy diet that has lots of fruits and vegetables are good for the eyes as they contain important nutrients such as vitamin A. You should include foods such as carrots, fish oil, cabbage and eggs in your diet.
- Carrots: Carrots are a good source of phosphorus, calcium, vitamin A and iron which are very good for your eyesight. You may consume carrot in the form of juices or salads.
- Almonds and other nuts:Nuts such as almonds and walnuts are rich in antioxidants which are beneficial for the eyes.
- Walk barefoot: Walking barefoot on green grass is therapeutic for your eyes as it enhances your eye power. It is recommended you walk early in the morning to get maximum benefits.
- Eye exercises: You should do various eye exercise to improve your eyesight as these exercises help in rejuvenating muscles of the eye. The muscles in the eye are strengthened which leads to better vision.
- Triphala remedy: This is a treatment that combines three herbal fruits which treat various eye disorders, eye weaknesses and hair problems. Triphala helps in eliminating toxins from your body and make your eyes healthy.
- Reduce screen time - avoid extra working hours on computers and mobiles as far as possible. Especially playing video games. This can save you from computer vision syndrome.
- Avoid frequent rubbing of eyes - this habit can lead to frequent infections and shedding of eyelashes . Also, this is one of the causes of dark circles.
- Proper sleep - Importance of proper rest to the eyes cannot be denied and is equally important in general wellbeing.
Lastly, if anything is bothering your eyes seek help immediately before the problem increases. In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
Redness, itchiness and watery eyes are common symptoms of eye allergies. Pollen, mold, dust and pet dander are common allergens that trigger such allergies. Other triggers include adverse reactions to cosmetics and eye medication such as eye drops. Being allergic to certain food items rarely causes eye conditions such as itchiness or excessive tearing. When the surface of the eye is exposed to allergens, it releases histamines. This causes itchiness and makes the eye red and watery.
However, sometimes these can also be symptoms of a larger problem. Itchiness in the eyes and excessive tearing can also be a symptom of conjunctivitis or caused by eye disorders like dry eyes and blepharitis. Ironically,dry eyes is the most notorious factor amongst the above. Watery eyes could also be caused by clogged tear ducts or eyelids that turn inwards or outwards.
If your eye feels itchy or is persistently watery, you must consult an eye doctor. To correctly diagnose the condition and recognize the symptoms triggering it, he will conduct a thorough eye exam and discuss your medical history and lifestyle. If the condition is triggered by an allergy you might also require blood tests for allergies. This will decide your course of treatment. A few tips that could help are:
The best way to keep your eyes healthy is to limit their exposure to factors that could irritate it. Avoid going outdoors during the pollen season especially if it is windy. Wearing wraparound sunglasses can also help create a barrier between your eyes and the allergens. Within the house, ensure that your air filters in the air conditioner are cleaned regularly.
Switch to spectacles or consider lasik surgery if you wear contacts regularly and often suffer from eye allergies. Alternatively you could switch to daily disposable lenses to avoid the buildup of airborne allergens on the surface of the lenses.
Non prescriptions eye drops that help lubricate the eyes are easily available over the counter and can help relieve itchiness. This can also keep your eyes from drying out and thus prevent watery eyes.
The histamines released by the body on contact with an allergen dilute blood vessels and make then abnormally permeable. Antihistamines reduce these reactions by not allowing the histamines to attach themselves to cells in the body. Antihistamines can take a while to react and can make you feel drowsy. Hence it is advisable not to take them when operating heavy machinery or driving.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!