Find numerous Homeopaths in India from the comfort of your home on Lybrate.com. You will find Homeopaths with more than 26 years of experience on Lybrate.com. You can find Homeopaths online in Bangalore and from across India. View the profile of medical specialists and their reviews from other patients to make an informed decision.
Book Clinic Appointment with Dr. Asha B Varghese
Treatment Of Erectile Dysfunction
Skin Care Treatment
Treatment of Migraine Treatment
Treatment of Neurological Problems
Weight Management Treatment
Piles Treatment (Non Surgical)
Sexually Transmitted Disease (Std) Treatment
Cysts Removal Procedure
Treatment Of Pregnancy Problems
Well Woman Healthcheck
Thyroid Problems Treatment
Submit a review for Dr. Asha B VargheseYour feedback matters!
I have been travelling a lot from last two years as a result having constipation n weakness. Also gained fat. How to control kindly suggest.
There are women who feel their looks are spoilt because of the presence of excessive body hair. While hair on women's body is common, excessive body hair isn't a normal condition and must be taken seriously. Women are generally unaware that the condition is known as Hirsutism.
What is Hirsutism?
Hirsutism can be defined as growth of excessive facial and body hair in women. With the world obsessed with flawless skin, such changes from feminine hair pattern (soft, fine, vellus hair) to masculine hair pattern (hard, dark, terminal hair) in a woman is generally unwelcoming and, hence, very distressing for the woman.
Why do some women develop Hirsutism?
In order to understand the reasons for such excessive growth in some women, it is important to understand the differences in the physiology of men and women. The male or female appearance of one's body is dependent on a delicate balance between male and female sex hormones. There is a predominance of the hormone estrogen in a woman's body, whereas androgens (testosterone) are the predominant sex hormones among men. However, some amount of androgens is secreted by the ovaries and adrenal glands (located next to kidneys) in women also. But, an excessive production of these hormones results in Hirsutism. Hormonal imbalance is by far the most common cause of Hirsutism.
Causes of Hirsutism
The common causes of hirsutism include:
1. Endocrine causes
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - PCOS is a condition of hormonal imbalance in the body, which can result in an irregular menstrual cycle, enlarged ovaries with a cystic appearance on USG, infertility, obesity and hirsutism. For more information on the causes and management of PCOS.
- Cushing's syndrome - Excessive production of hormone Cortisol by the adrenal glands can lead to symptoms such as high blood pressure, abdominal obesity, skin discoloration, muscle weakness, irregular menstruation, and hirsutism etc. This syndrome is known as Cushing's syndrome.
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia (CAH) - CAH is a condition of excessive production of hormones Androgens and Cortisol by the adrenal glands and generally manifests in childhood in the form of virilization. In such cases, CAH can present with symptoms such as ambiguous genitals, obesity, hypertension etc. However, sometimes the manifestation of CAH is deferred to early adulthood and results in milder symptoms, hirsutism being one of them.
2. Tumors - Tumors in ovary or adrenal glands can again cause hirsutism due to excessive production of androgens
- Long term steroid consumption (commonly used for immunosuppression, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis)
- Performance enhancing drugs (often used by athletes)
4. Idiopathic - the woman may be having hirsutism despite normal hormone levels
There are essentially two lines of treatment for hirsutism - one is medical management and the other is a cosmetic treatment.
Medical treatments for hirsutism -
A. Birth control pills - It's possible to reduce the severity and intensity of hair growth using birth control pills- the most commonly prescribed medical intervention! The birth control pills help by decreasing the production of androgens by ovaries. Besides this, estrogen present in the pills also helps the liver to produce more of sex hormone binding protein- these proteins bind to circulating androgens, thereby reducing their action on the body. Both these actions help in reducing the growth of hair on the body.
B. Anti-androgen medications - There are three categories of anti-androgen medications, which are commonly used for the treatment of hirsutism.
- I. Spironolactone - Spironolactone is a diuretic medicine, which blocks the effects of androgens on the hair follicles, thus controlling hair growth.
- II. Finasteride - Finasteride works by blocking the conversion of body testosterone into its more potent chemical entity, thereby limiting the effect of testosterone on hair growth.
- III. Flutamide - Flutamide is a potent anti-androgen, which blocks the actions of androgens and helps in controlling the hair growth.
However, we have to ensure that the woman is not pregnant when taking any of these three medications. These medicines are often combined with oral contraceptives, which also have a synergistic effect in reducing the severity of hirsutism. One should also seek an expert opinion before starting these medications as there can be serious side effects, especially on liver.
C. Steroids - Low dose dexamethasone can be used to control the overactive adrenal glands when used carefully. However, long-term steroid therapy has got its own side effects and this therapy should only be considered under expert care and guidance.
D. Insulin sensitizing medicines - Medicines such as Metformin and Pioglitazone (Basically these are anti-diabetic medications) help in reducing insulin resistance in the body, which, in turn, helps in controlling the effects of excessive circulating androgens.
Cosmetic treatment for hirsutism -
One very important aspect of cosmetic management of hirsutism is self-care. This can include shaving, waxing, use of depilators and bleaching creams. All these measures help to reduce the amount of visible hair in undesired parts of the body. But, this needs to be done very frequently for a sustained visible effect.
Permanent hair removal is also possible using electrolysis or LASER treatment. In electrolysis treatment, electric current is passed into the hair follicle using a needle, which damages the root of the hair permanently. Similarly, LASER treatment uses LASER to destroy the hair follicle. Both these are effective methods to get rid of the undesired hair. However, we do not yet know if there are any long-term complications or side effects of these methods and these methods are not yet approved by the US FDA.
Related Tip: How Safe is Laser Surgery for Facial Hair Removal??
It is really important to enlighten yourself with the meaning of the word 'cannabis'. Cannabis Sativa is a kind of hemp plant from which you derive hash, hash oil and marijuana. Cannabis is popularly known by a litany of street names like weed, pot, grass, homegrown or even ganja. Tetrahydrocannabinol or THC is a chief chemical present in the plant. This chemical has the potential to alter the way you think, feel or work and hence there is a need to know its link with psychosis. Psychosis on the other hand aims to explain mental conditions felt by a person. In most cases a stark departure from reality is noticed which is usually the case after consuming cannabis as well.
Psychotic effects of Cannabis:
- Irregular sleep patterns: The effect of Marijuana or hash can upset your sleep patterns. A check has to be exercised therefore. It can make you feel too tired and exhausted to rest for long hours.
- Increased anxiety: Many times, the hemp plant has been found to play up with your coping skills. You might feel anxious at the drop of a hat. Anxiety takes a toll on mental peace and affects your physical health.
- Problem in thinking clearly: Under the effect of Cannabis, you tend to live in a parallel universe. Your mind makes up imaginary situations thinking it to be real. This muddles up your capability to think clearly.
- Lack of innovation: Continuous consumption of the drug can also make a person repetitive; you stop conceiving new ideas.
- Reduced confidence: Studies show how you can become very nervous due to the effects of cannabis.
- Reticence: Communication can be a problem if you have been using the plant for a long time. You tend to bottle up your emotions and also your fears.
- Paranoia and suspiciousness: You might even grow suspicious of people you trusted all along. Friends, relatives, parents are doubted. Obsession with the slightest of things is also a resultant effect.
- Delusions and Hallucinations: Being 'high' is a positive effect as it helps you to relax, but if unhindered it could lead to serious hallucinations. Your existence in a hallucinated world can even turn fatal in some cases.
In case you have a concern or query you can always consult an expert & get answers to your questions!
I'm Dr. Sujata . Me ek gynecologist hun. Aur mere 2 clinic hain ek sarita vihar mein hai ek badarpur mein hai aur me Apollo mein bhi bethti hun.
Aj me ap logon ko Polycystic ovarian syndrome ke bare mein batana chahungi. Aj kal apne dekha hoga ziada tar larkian bari pareshan rehti hain PCOS hogaya hai Polycystic ovarian syndrome hogaya hai aur sab is barey mein chinta kerte hain ke humari ovary mein cyst hogaye hain. Basically is mein chinta ki koi baat nahi hai. Polycystic ovarian syndrome ek tarah ka syndrome hai jis mein buhat sari cheezain ek sath hoti hain. Basically yeh un logon mein hota hai jin ke family history mein diabetes ho ya jin ke parents, grandparents ya jau khud prone ho diabetes ko un larkion mein polycystic ovarian syndrome hota hai. Aur jau clinical presentation hoti hain in patients ki us mein patient ka weight barha hota hai, un logon ke abnormal hair patterns hote hain, facial hairs hosakte hain hath pairon mein ziada baal hosakte hain, pigmentation hosakta hai, bas unko periods irregular hote hain. Irregular ka matlab hai periods over ho ker hote hain, one month two months till 6 months. Kabhi bhi unko total irregular cycle hoti hai. Jau main karan polycystic ovarian syndrome ka hai uske karan yeh hai ke patient ke andar regular menstruation nahi hota hai kyoun ke regular ovulation nahi hota hai. Har mahinay ek egg banta hai, jau rupture hota hai aur uske baad periods hote hain. In patients mein egg banta nahi hai chota sa banna shuru hota hai aur ovary mein para rehta hai is liye unko periods nahi hote. Aur dhere dhere kerke multiple chote chote eggs ho jate hain jinko hum follicles bhi bolte hain aur jau clinical presentation ultrasound mein dikhta hai woh typical polycystic ovaries mein who chote chote eggs dikhte hain. Yeh cyst kisis tarah se dangerous nahi hai yeh koi cancerous cyst nahi hai is liye inke barey mein ziada pareshan nahi hona chahye. Per iska treatment is liye zaruri hai kyoun ke polycystic ovarian syndrome hone se number 1 patient obese hojaega, uske facial hair ho jaenge, usey pigmentation hojaegi, tau uski external appearance kharab hojaegi, uska confidence kam hojaega number, usko diabetes ka risk barh jaega yeh dekha gaya hai ke jau log ka insulin level ziada hote hain un logon ko yeh condition ziada hoti hai. Aur agar hum sahi time per pata kerke insulin resistance de ker usko treat karen tau who diabetes ko prevent bhi ker sakte hain aur unka jau polycystic ovarian syndrome hai who clear hojata hai. Thirdly is mein infertility ka problem hota hai, infertility mayney baby nahi ata hai. Ovulation nahi hoga tau conception ki problem hogi. Aur lastly is mein periods irregular hote hain. Agey ja ker yeh patients jau hote hain unko diabetes ho sakti hai, diabetes ki wajah se unko heart disease hosakti hai, kidney failure ho sakta hai inka lipid profile kharab ho sakta hai. Is liye yeh ek pura syndrome hai jisko hum Polycystic syndrome bolte hain jis mein irregular periods, egg nahi banna matlab anovulation, mota hona obesity, abnormal hair pattern hirsutism plus diabetes ka risk, blood mein lipids cholesterol barhne ka risk, heart disease ka risk aur baad mein kidneys per effect hone ka risk hoskta hai. Is ka treatment buhat simple hai, is mein ghabrane ki koi zarurat nahi hoti hai. Is mein lifestyle modification karna hota hai, exercise karna hota hai, diet control karna hota hai, plus kuch basic tests kerwa ker kuch simple dawaiyan khani hoti hain aur yeh araam se control hojata hai.
Agar ap logon ko is tarah ka koi problem hai tau ap mere ko aker mere clinic per mil sakte hain direct contact ker sakte hain ya ap through Lybrate mujhe contact ker sakte hain. Thank you so much!